PDA

View Full Version : Star Sizer catch bin?

CiDirkona
12-16-2010, 04:45 PM
What are you guys (and gals) using as a catch bin on your Star sizers? I attached mine to a 2x8 and then used an akro bin under it, hanging off the edge, to catch the rounds, but after 100 or so, it's bent down pretty bad and seems ready to break right off.

What works better? Tube running all the way to the ground maybe?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/cidirkona/utf-8BSU1BRzA5OTkuanBn.jpg
(Yes, my reloading bench is a mess at the moment...)

runfiverun
12-16-2010, 07:58 PM
i drilled a 2" hole in my lubing table under all three stars and drop the boolits in the drawer on a stack of rags.
i have seen similar set up's to yours, but i can hold a thousand or more boolits easily and just empty the rags when i get tired of lubing,take a break, add more lube and go again.
it's also nice when doing gas checks as if i drop something there's a bench there and a lip in front of the machine.
and a place to set the checks on the base.

cajun shooter
12-16-2010, 08:20 PM
I mount all my reloading equipment on 2x12, 2x8, 2x6 so that I may c-clamp it where I need it. I have a work bench that I purchased from Lowe's that has four drawers. I just put a box in a drawer under the Star.

casterofboolits
12-17-2010, 06:53 PM
For the Star I put a large coffee can on a short stool and drop them in that. A large coffee can will hold over 1200 H&G 68's.

On my Magma Lube Master I use the large food service stainless serving pans. In the pan I place a sheet metal formed to a 45 degree angle covered with roofing rubber to cushion the drop.

cheese1566
12-17-2010, 11:09 PM
I mounted a flat steel bar to the front of my portable Star base. It protrudes out from the oak base just enough for the Akro Bin to latch on. The steel bar also aligns the oak base with the front of my bench. The bar is 1/8" thick so it latches the Akro Bin pretty good and is 2" wide so the back of the bin has support from drooping. I can fit well over a hundred 230 grainers in there, but don't know the max. Quick sandblast and cold blue to match my handle. I used washers between the plate and oak base to bring it out just enough.

blaser.306
12-17-2010, 11:22 PM
check out my "casting box on the (casting equip) thread would work as well there I suspect!

Artful
12-19-2010, 01:56 AM
Ya mean this one
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=100508

Thought it would be a good idea as I have limited space where I cast to build a "casting Box" there is a platform on the top that the newborn boolits can rest and cool for a couple of minutes , Before a leisurely slide down the carpet covered ramp that has a deflector at the bottom edge Leading them to be deposited into a carboard parts bin like you find in a parts depatment . And just like that no more dented bruised boolits . I will try and get a couple of pics of it !

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27562&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1292116068

I'm sort of leaning to making one like they sell on E-bay
http://cgi.ebay.com/star-reloading-/130466531394?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e60694842

HeavyMetal
12-19-2010, 04:44 PM
The Akro bins are cheap and plentiful I simply lay a couple shop rags in mine and start sizing!

The small bins will hold a 100 or so I need to move up to bigger bins for big jobs but for my avareage sized batch of boolits a couple small red bins work fine!

btroj
12-19-2010, 08:57 PM
I have a bracket to an Akron bin on the front edge of my bench. It works well and makes the sized and lined bullets accessible for easy inspection. Also allows me to easilyy rerun a bullet every so often to keep the size die lubricated a bit.

WildmanJack
12-19-2010, 09:04 PM
I attached a 3/4" piece f electrical conduit to the front of the bench, flared the top a bit, mounted the star over the conduit. Then glued a 45 degree sweep to the lower end, fed it into an akro bin with a couple of rags in it and it works great... No jams and the bullets don't get messed up hitting the rags, besides the 45 degree sweep slows them down a bit...
Jack

CiDirkona
12-20-2010, 10:54 AM
I attached a 3/4" piece f electrical conduit to the front of the bench, flared the top a bit, mounted the star over the conduit. Then glued a 45 degree sweep to the lower end, fed it into an akro bin with a couple of rags in it and it works great... No jams and the bullets don't get messed up hitting the rags, besides the 45 degree sweep slows them down a bit...
Jack

This sounds interesting... Got pictures?

Hammer
12-21-2010, 06:05 PM
I have "created a "portable setup" for my Star on top of a piece of 3/4" plywood. It holds the Star on top of two 2 x 6's glued to the plywood base, recessed back from the front. I put a small piece of laminate I had laying around the shop on the plywood in front of the Star so the lube wouldn't get into the wood when it ran out of the Star.... I then mounted my PID controller to the side of the star and clamped the on/off switch to the side of the 2 x 6 to keep the cords out of the way and the switch accessable.... I then bought a small automotive air tank and mounted it behind the star on the plywood base to control the air feed.

Whole thing takes up about 18" x 24" of my work bench. The bin can then sit on the plywood base and does not bend under the strain.... I can remove the setup whenever I want and do other things on the bench without having a lot of extra holes in my bench top..... Don't have bullets dropping a long distance on top of other bullets....Soft landings....
I love the Air Feed!!!!!!!!!!

:redneck: