PDA

View Full Version : Help! Furnace Temp control died

Powderface
10-18-2006, 09:19 PM
After many years the temp control on my Saeco furnace gave up it's ghost. I'm thinking that I will put an inline control on the power cord.

Is there another way to skin this cat?

Thanks

Mike

LET-CA
10-18-2006, 09:31 PM
I'd be willing to bet that it you took it apart that it's a pretty generic part that you could replace for just a few dollars. Check a Grainger catalog.

Netherwolf
10-19-2006, 07:50 AM
I'd be willing to bet that it you took it apart that it's a pretty generic part that you could replace for just a few dollars. Check a Grainger catalog.

Who knows, you maybe able to get one from Saeco. My RCBS furnace thermostat went belly up years ago. I built an extension cord with an on/off switch & left me lead thermometer in the melt & just turn the furnace off when the temp starts to get too high. It's not the most accurate system in the world but it beat springing for a new furnace (I didn't even think of calling RCBS to see if I could get a replacement part). In the end it doesn't make much difference to me because I cast 'em hot & hard to run through my subgun.

Netherwolf

fecmech
10-19-2006, 10:30 AM
You can probably get a snap switch thermostatic control from an appliance supply house. I did that some years ago for my old Lyman/Saeco furnace. Another option would be a 1000 watt dimmer rehostat, although that would be more expensive. Those old 1000 watt pots were nice, practically no recovery time at all when adding ingots. Good luck . Nick

Bad Flynch
10-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Post this message on CB-L@yahoogroups.com Yes, you will have to join the group, but there is a wealth of information over there and some nice people. The list is carefully monitored, so funny stuff is rarely a problem. I got mine from a fellow over there.

montana_charlie
10-19-2006, 10:02 PM
I have seen pictures of Saeco furnaces, and the old Lyman Mould Master...and I can't tell 'em apart except for the name on the front. I have the Lyman, and the thremostat is mounted in a box on the front of the pot. The box is held on with four screws, and I have to believe it would be a simple matter to replace the control.

However, if yours has totally quit working, you'll need to find out if it's the thermostat, or the heating element that has gone bad.

Are you familiar with a volt/ohm meter...or know somebody who is?
CM

Powderface
10-20-2006, 10:10 AM
I took the switch out and ran the power straight to the heat coils, works like a charm if you cast em hot and fast.

I will call lyman and see about a new temp control.

Thank you all for your help

Mike

Jon K
10-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Hi Mike,

What did you find for the Saeco pot?

I have one that needs the contacts for the thermostat, but I am having trouble getting the thermostat out to getthe contacts off.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Jon