PDA

View Full Version : New (Old) Savage Mark II left hand .17MachII

Jim Sheldon
12-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Somebody please find a cure for rimfireitis (very much akin to Mosinitis). I rescued a couple of .22's and now they have crossbred. A Savage Mark II left hand (I am a lefty) .17 MachII with a 22" bull barrel and a BSA Sweed .17 MachII 4-12 X 40 scope mounted on it arrived on my doorstep last night about 7 p.m. It's a pre accu-trigger model and the trigger pull is a bit heavy. It doesn't appear to be adjustable for pull, just over travel, but I don't have a book on it. The original owner didn't shoot it much and put it away to languish in the safe after he got a .17HMR and the little MachII looks brand new - no scratches or dings in the metal or wood that I can find and no rust on it. Very well cared for.

Took it to the range this morning and put a couple boxes of ammo (1 CCI and 1 Hornady) downrange. The scope was zeroed right on at 50 yards with the CCI so I shot the monthly rimfire match Maverick223 has going over on The High Road forum.

Out of a possible 50, I actually managed a 50. The target is an interesting one consisting of 3 sets of 5 graduated dots and is shot in three 5 shot strings moving from right to left.

The black circles start with the largest on the right and get smaller as you go left.
The big one is 1.75", then 1.25", 1", .75" and finally the little one at .5"

Points per string = 15 with 1 for the big one then 2, 3, 4 and 5 for the little one.
Total for the 3 strings = 45 and if one manages to keep all 3 shots on the 1/2" circles completely within the black, another 5 point bonus can be claimed for a final possible of 50. Even shooting from a rest, indoors and the scope set to 12 power, at 50 yards those 1/2" dots are a real challenge, especially with a heavy trigger.

I have a printable version of the target in a PDF file if anyone wants it - PM me with an email address and I'll gladly send it. 25 yards with open sights or non-magnified optics and 50 yards with optics.

Jim