PDA

View Full Version : Trying to start a gun club/shooting club

Love Life
12-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Hello all. I have just been given permission to organize a gun/shooting club for my base. I am utilizing google as a search tool to figure out as much of it I can, but all of you have way more experience, insight, and resources than I could probably imagine. I have several questions. Thank you in advance for any and all guidance.

What are the legal concerns I need to be aware of?
What is standard organization?
I want to be able to cover many aspects in the club from firearms safety, shooting, reloading, boolit casting.
We have a range available.
Any ideas for shoots or events?

I know I haven't even scratched the surface here, but any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Dick

starnbar
12-15-2010, 09:28 PM
The NRA can be a great help in what you will need as far as liability ins, range requirements, types of targets

shooterg
12-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Might check how these guys operate.

http://quanticoshootingclub.com/

Love Life
12-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Great info so far and thank you.

home in oz
12-16-2010, 04:53 PM
If it is on govt property, you might want to talk to your command's Staff Judge Advocate.

AND OF COURSE, check in with gun clubs at other installations to see what hoops they had to jump thru.

Gently
12-18-2010, 03:49 AM
and one more small thing......INSURANCE, Do not even think about waivers of liability! Get good reliable insurance. a safety officer must be available at all time, and insurance. By the way, did I say insurance?

Consider either a LLC or a corporation....and INSURANCE, not just for you and the members, but guests, other property owners in the area near or far. Personal and liability insurance!

No I dont sell insurance, I know the value of it from being on the board of directors for a range in the most regulated county in the U.S. Monroe County Florida, we were sued because our "lead" was hitting a "hardwood Hammock" thank goodness for INSURANCE!