PDA

View Full Version : High lead prices here in Rhode Island

OldBuckstalker1187
12-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Hello, I am new here and I am going to start casting my own boolits. I have talked to many people who have casted alot of boolits in the past and they told me the prices that they paid for their lead (wheel weights). Then I see what some of you guys are paying for lead( wheel weights) at current prices. All the lead (wheel weights) you guys are buying seems to be at very cheap and reasonable prices. I see guys on here saying they get their lead (wheel weights) for anywhere from . 10 cents per pound to .40 cents per pound. I have checked with multiple tire shops, gas stations, ect, to find that none of them are willing to sell them to me. They say they sell them to the local scrap yards. When I ask them if I could outbid the scrap yards "per pound" they all say no because they bring them all their scrap metal at once and get better package deals. I did some researching and most scrap yards around here only pay .20 - .30 cents per pound for wheel weights. So I figured I might be able to go down and offer the scrap yard . 40 cents per pound and ( double their money) well to make a long story short, in my futile attemps, I have found that NO scrapyard around here will sell me wheel weights for any less than .75 cents per pound. I have visited over 18 scrapyards. and .75 cents per pound seems to be the average price. I even had one joker try to sell me some wheel weights for $ 1.30 per pound. I thought to myself you have got to be kidding me?

Well anyways, today I did talk to a gas station owner who I have know for a little while now and he offered to sell me his wheel weights for .45 cents a pound and he has about 400 or more pounds of it in his shop. I was thinking about jumping on the deal. Are there any guys from Rhode Island or Mass on here that are running into the same problem with finding reasonable prices? Thank you all for your input and God bless.

white eagle
12-15-2010, 07:21 PM
welcome :drinks:
from what you have said at the price you mentioned I would jump on that deal
400# will last awhile

fryboy
12-15-2010, 07:49 PM
considering that you were striking out every where else i should save my feeble attempts at typing lol , with lead being in the neighborhood of $1 + per pound ( and the scrap yards wont give you nothing close to that for good clean lead ) and with the thought that ww's are at best about 75% lead tell the scrap yards "thanks but no thanks " ie; 100#'s = appox 75# for $75 on a good day ( and remember at $.75 a pound you still must smelt them thus adding even more to the cost .. ) so yes $.45 is better ( 100#'s @ $45 - 30%= 70# @ $45 ) there is still the cost of smelting tho but it ends up being lil cheaper than buying them from various vendors here , g'luck amigo

David2011
12-15-2010, 08:24 PM
It seems like some tire shops think that WW is worth as much as clean lead. I'm not sure they know what clean lead is!

David

lwknight
12-16-2010, 12:40 AM
At 45 cents a pound , WWs are still a good enough deal to jump all over. You can actually ship the zinc ones to someone else near a metroplex that can get you around 60 cents per pound.