PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Ballistics Program

theperfessor
12-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Sitting here giving a final exam so I downloaded the Winchester Ballistics program to my iPhone. It's free and while it only allows you to deal with Winchester factory ammo it still seems pretty neat. Haven't checked it out completely but it looks like it might be useful.

runfiverun
12-15-2010, 02:53 PM
I wonder what would happen if the students were uhh "downloading" stuff on thier phones too during the test.?

theperfessor
12-15-2010, 05:56 PM
I made sure the only thing they had on their desk is a writing implement and a calculator, and they know my policy and the University's policy on cheating.

leftiye
12-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Not to mention texting the answers to each other?

luvtn
12-15-2010, 09:20 PM
SHEESH guys the prof is trying to give us a heads up. He is intelligent enough to handle his students. Obviously you aren't bright enough to use common courtesy.
luvtn

theperfessor
12-15-2010, 10:26 PM
I've had the chance to play with the program a little more and it's a neat if deliberately limited app. (it's free, by the way.) You can select up to three cartridges and set some simple parameters such as point-of-aim distance, maximum range, sight height above the bore, weather and wind conditions, etc. When you hit the SHOOT button the screen shows you the target face with a colored bullet hole for each cartridge at the maximum range. Turn the iPhone sideways and you get a graph of the bullet trajectory for each cartridge superimposed for comparison with yard markings along the X axis and inches on the y axis. There's also a table you can bring up that shows the typical velocity/drop/energy figures in numerical form.

I was comparing the figures for a .44 Magnum 240 gr bullet, a 45/70 with a 300 gr bullet, and a .308 with a 150 gr bullet. The head-on display shows wind drift displacement and the lateral display really shows the difference in drop quite clearly.

It's not a full featured program; you're limited to Winchester ammo as far as bullet weight and styles and muzzle velocity are concerned, and if they don't load it it's not listed (.41 Mag for example). But its free and very easy to use.

Any comments not regarding this app or ballistics in general that have been posted to this thread I choose to ignore. But after spending 16 weeks of working closely with my kids as a teacher, mentor, and educational partner I can vouch for their honesty during tests. And I may be mistaken, but I think most of them would be more afraid of losing my respect than they would fear anything the University would do if they were caught cheating.

You'd just have to be there to understand.

runfiverun
12-16-2010, 01:27 PM
not doubting integrity anywhere.
just poking a bit of fun.
using a cell phone to help on a test probably went out of style before i even got one.

i still don't know how to text,or even have the ability, my phone makes calls period.
i am still in awe that i can take my phone with a wyoming phone number and call my wife with an idaho phone number from north dakota while travelling in a moving vehicle.
i had to go ask little girl what an app [sp?] was, she started into an explanation of something your phone uses to do other things besides be a phone.
and i left the room.

theperfessor
12-16-2010, 01:46 PM
No umbrage here, I took your comment in jest. Have a Merry Christmas!

leftiye
12-20-2010, 06:54 AM
On "Sarah Palin's Alaska" tonight there was a segment where we all watched Sarah's daughter use a calculator in her phone to do times tables homework while Sarah repeatedly told her not to.