PDA

View Full Version : Which front sight insert to use??

oldracer
12-15-2010, 12:49 PM
I did some searching here and on other websites and real through the back issues of the black powder magazine but about the only info I can find on front sight inserts is how to use the circle ones and line up the openings. The set I bought has 12 different ones so I was curious as to which ones the very experienced shooters use and for which target type and/or size.

montana_charlie
12-15-2010, 02:16 PM
I recently downloaded two old shooting books. They have been scanned and made available (for free) because their copyright(s) have expired.
One of them is titled, "Manual For Rifle Practice", and it was written by General George W. Wingate. The copy I have is the seventh edition, which was published in 1879 (I think).

At the end of the book is found pages and pages of 'tips' and other information about how the premier target shooters of the era did things. The choice of globe sight inserts is discussed.

Although most of the currently known shapes are pictured in the woodcut depicting inserts, only two (that are still found in modern sets) are mentioned as being favored by riflemen of note.
The 'post', in various thicknesses, with a dot on top or not, was used by some...but not placed to cover the bullseye.
Instead, it was positioned 'beside, and even with the top' of the bull. This made sure the target was not obscured, and allowed the shooter to better judge holdoff for changing conditions.

The other insert which was described as 'favored' by a notable percentage of 'experts' was the lollipop...which was used in the same way we do, today.

CM

oldracer
12-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I downloaded the book you mentioned and also the others for reading through.

waksupi
12-15-2010, 03:24 PM
It will vary, according to your eyesight, target, and light conditions. That's why it's nice to have the selection!

rhbrink
12-15-2010, 04:04 PM
I have found for myself anyway that if I'm using peep sights for serious shooting that I like the aperature front especially when shooting from a bench. With the right size aperature front and one that is not too small you want some light around the bull that I can shoot almost as well as a lower powered scope. But you need to be very steady and have enough light to line up all the circles perfectly and it is possible to shoot very well this way.

Off hand or huntng or shooting odd shaped targets of opportunity the front aperture is a handicap for me. I much prefer a post and will use one edge or the other to shade the target or allow for the wind or light or maybe the way that O'Betsy is throw'em today. The bead on the post is a distant third choice in my opinion, but can be used much the same way the post is.

Experiment and see what suits you best.

Don McDowell
12-15-2010, 04:30 PM
For the majority of target shooting I prefer this style, varying the aperature size to suit the light or target size.http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/Ranch137/Lymanrect.jpg

Sometimes tho a simple post or post and ball works better, especially it seems on animal shaped sillouetter in bright light.
I've also shot a couple of rifles their owners had an aperature with horizontal wires only that was easy to line up.
The 4 cross thing that looks like a tictac toe has a certain appeal on some targets.

As others have said previuosly, just go thru the selection see which one you can get along with the best.

kokomokid
12-15-2010, 06:19 PM
I read plenty and decided the loli-pop was what I needed for my mva front. Settled useing one similar to the one Don Mc shows and some animal shaped ones. I never found a loli-pop that worked for me. A Hadely type rear will help the front picture a lot.

hiram
12-16-2010, 12:12 AM
http://fuzzylimey.net/projects/targapert.html

Don McDowell
12-16-2010, 12:28 AM
:bigsmyl2: Didn't see any thing in that article that covered the proper size front sight for these targets at 800,970 and 1000 yds in the rain[smilie=l:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/Ranch137/longrange.jpg

NickSS
12-16-2010, 06:25 AM
I mostly use front apertures for target shooting but under some lighting conditions like bright sun light I go to a post or even a cross hair front sight. I really do night like post and ball front sight blades they are the worst type of sight as far as I am conserned. I have tried the tic tac toe front sight but do not like it but it may work for long range on bulls eye targets for some people. I have seen the animal shaped apertures but have not tried them.

dangerranger
12-17-2010, 10:19 PM
One use for posts that hasnt come up is in silhouette shooting, especially on chickens and turkeys the leg sort of blots out the post so I turn them to extend down from the top of the sight and use a 12 o clock hold VS the normal 6 o clock. I would guess it would work the same for live animals also. DR

kokomokid
12-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Don curious as to what size you are useing? Think I can cover most conditions with turkeys and rams with three front apps .100-.085-.070 and hadley rear.

Don McDowell
12-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Just depends on the day and the targets, which ever one that gives me the best fit on the bullseye.