PDA

View Full Version : working hard for wheel weights

bigjake
12-15-2010, 12:39 AM
Its a labor of love i guess. There is this junk yard here where for a dollar you can go into this huge yard where they have all these junk cars and trucks lined up for you to go in and take off the parts you want. the parts are cheap too.
Anyway, I go up and down the aisles looking for the big WW's. they are too hard to get off to mess with the little ones. I can do it for 2 or 3 hrs before i get tired. I usually come away with about 7 to 10 lbs after smelting for those hrs of pretty hard work. I've done this three times and they've let me have them once and charged 2 bucks for the other two times

imashooter2
12-15-2010, 12:56 AM
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/111031_lg.jpg

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200312737_200312737

You can probably find some cheap locally too.

Dennis Eugene
12-15-2010, 11:53 AM
So you get 8.5 pounds of clean lead after smelting for 3 hours work plus buck to get in and mayby two more to get out. Man that is some very expensive lead,did you ask them what the price is to buy? Dennis

Rangefinder
12-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Much easier to hit the tire shops---I just hooked up another semi-reliable one with a 200# pick-up today. That put me back over 1,000 lbs of unsmelted WW's. Go the easy route until it dries up. THEN start with the wrecking yards next year. Trust me--you don't want to spoil that avenue just yet.

bigjake
12-16-2010, 01:05 AM
Much easier to hit the tire shops---I just hooked up another semi-reliable one with a 200# pick-up today. That put me back over 1,000 lbs of unsmelted WW's. Go the easy route until it dries up. THEN start with the wrecking yards next year. Trust me--you don't want to spoil that avenue just yet.

I found a few shops early on that gave me some weights, but lately no place is willing to give them up. they act like they are gold. I get tired of being turned down.
what do you mean "spoil that avenue"?

What do you say to get all those weights?

Rangefinder
12-16-2010, 03:44 AM
what do you mean "spoil that avenue"? Right now, lead alloy WW's are still being used. The powers that shouldn't be are effectively making them go away quickly. We have about another year or so at best for getting them from the tire shops. After that, everything will be zinc and iron. So... Save the wrecking years till they're needed. Once the tire shop sources dry up all together, you'll be thankful for the wrecking yard and a pare of channel-locks.

What do you say to get all those weights? "Hey, I'm looking for Wheel Weights---do you mind if I take your junk ones out of your way?"

Places to pay close attention to: Local owned tire stores, places that seem to have that "good 'ol Boy" atmosphere. I have two solid sources that I get 5-gallon buckets from pretty regularly. The over-all cost is some pizza and a few Coronas. I've found half the battle is in how you carry yourself with whoever makes the decisions in the place.

Just don't give up after a few "no" responses--or a hundred, for that matter. You'll get the "sure--bring your truck around" answer eventually. When that happens, it's like hitting a Royal Flush at a Vegas table.

markinalpine
12-16-2010, 07:41 PM
One place told me they re-used the wheel weights, so I asked, "Can I have those tips you've clipped off the ends?" they let me take those, plus several that were boogered up, or that the clips were broken off. And all the tape ons that had been ripped off the wheels, so it wasn't a total bust. I think I got an overflowing large coffeecan from them, a good 20#s.
Merry Christmas,
Mark [smilie=s:

evan price
12-17-2010, 08:19 AM
I've done the weight-pliers routine at the local pick-n-pull, too. An afternoon's work got me half a bucket of WW. But it was sweaty, PITA work to get it.

bigjake
12-19-2010, 01:43 AM
I've done the weight-pliers routine at the local pick-n-pull, too. An afternoon's work got me half a bucket of WW. But it was sweaty, PITA work to get it.

but they are all good weights. do it when its cool outside :-D

WHITETAIL
12-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Always keep your options open.
You never know when one will dry up.
:groner:

WILCO
12-19-2010, 09:05 AM
Its a labor of love i guess.

Indeed! Just good old fun grabbing them off the rim. Think of all the stories they would tell if they could talk. Where they been, who drove them there,worst driver they rolled with, who got knocked off the rim from a curb encounter, deepest puddle they rolled through, coldest place parked in, fastest speed traveled, longest police chase they were involved with..........:veryconfu :mrgreen:

Yeah, a labor of love.

a.squibload
12-19-2010, 03:19 PM
... The powers that shouldn't be...

That's good, mind if I use that?

Rangefinder
12-20-2010, 02:49 AM
I'll give you 10 free trial uses---after that it will cost 180gr. :D

Hey--gotta do something to keep my lead trickling in, right!?

Skipper488
12-20-2010, 05:59 PM
I scored some wheel weights today. I'm in Indianapolis on a job this week. There's a little temperature difference between Nashville and Indy and I noticed my tires seemed a little low. After going to several gas stations and finding all the air compressors out of order I went to Big-O Tires, they're associated with NTB where I bought my tires. While they were checking my tires I asked the guy what they did with their old wheel weights. He told me someone comes around and picks them up usually but they hadn't seen them in a while and that I could have tem if I wanted them. I got about 60 pounds of wheel weights and the proper inflation in all my tires just for the asking.

a.squibload
12-22-2010, 06:02 AM
I usually carry a small air compressor.
Maybe not a good idea after all!

hunter64
12-22-2010, 08:38 AM
BigJake: Costco is your friend, stay low and work quick, should get a pail full in no time at all. [smilie=l:

Seriously, it is getting really hard to find WW up here in Canada. 5 years ago you could walk into any tire store and they would give you a funny look of "Why on Earth would you want used WW's". Now it is a rare occasion when you can even get them let alone for free. I had one manager show me the "Corporate Memo" clearly stating that from now on only licensed recyclers are allowed to dispose of the toxic used WW's.

Most big chain stores will not sell them, you have to look for the Ma and Pa type tire shops. Walk into the store with a small 1 gallon ice cream pale and ask for a few used WW's as you are making some down riggers for fishing. Look like it is water you are asking for after walking thru the desert for a week. "Just need enough for a few down riggers". Usually they will say that someone picks them up etc. but insist politely that I just need a handful if you could spare them. Most times you will come back with the gallon pale full. Say thank you and turn and almost be out the door and stop and turn around and walk back to the counter and say "why don't I just buy some off of you and then I will have some when I loose the down riggers". Some times it works, sometimes it doesn't. If it works the going rate is free to 20 bucks a 5 gallon pale.

Did this about 3 months ago and the guy said he had two pales he could sell me for 40 bucks. He rang it in the till as "Shop Supplies" which translates to Coffee supplies and said to take the receipt around back and ask for Fred. Well I get around back and Fred is waiting for me with 12 buckets full. Helped me load them up into the pickup and away I went.

I have 1.5 tons of rendered lead and I am still on the hunt for more, as previous posters have said it will only be a matter of a few years and they will be banned and steel or zinc is all you will see. Just have to look to Europe, they have been banned for 5 years now in most places.

a.squibload
12-22-2010, 10:31 PM
$40 / 12 buckets = YEEHA!

I bet you raced away from there like you robbed the place.
Be sure to take donuts or something next time.

bigjake
12-23-2010, 01:51 AM
Just why are they banning the lead WW's? its not like people or kids are chewing on them, or if they do fall off are poluting the soil. when lead ends up in the dirt it just turns white and thats it, it doesnt melt or rot. look at all those minnie balls and musket balls from the civil war that guys find from all those yrs ago, they are just white.

Charlie Two Tracks
12-23-2010, 06:53 AM
There was a link to a movie on You Tube from the EPA on here a few days ago. It showed how a wheel weight would disolve into the soil after seven days. I know......... it doesn't but how can an agency actually tell a lie that bad and not be held accountable? I know, I'm not with the times....... Facts don't really need to be facts. As a matter of fact.... did you know that lead turns into a gas at 120 deg. and once in the atmosphere, will rise and punch a hole into the ozone layer and then fall back to earth and break up the ice cap? If you don't believe me, ask Chicken Little.

GP100man
12-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Get the pliers & get em while ya can !!!!

I count my time doing "shooting stuff" as cheap therapy !!!

Wally World lots are full this time of yr. LOL !!!

old turtle
12-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Soon we may be doomed to sneaking around parking lots with pliers. I have a friend who works for an auto dealer and he has gotten me about 100 pounds of ww's. I hope we can continue to find sources but it does seem to be drying up.

*Paladin*
12-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Soon we may be doomed to sneaking around parking lots with pliers. I have a friend who works for an auto dealer and he has gotten me about 100 pounds of ww's. I hope we can continue to find sources but it does seem to be drying up.

Hahaha!!! I walked past a truck in the Wal-Mart parking lot today that had two of the long WW's clipped on in one spot on his wheel. I thought to myself: "There's a few 230gr bullets right there!"

bigjake
01-03-2011, 03:03 AM
I'm tired of getting turned down at the tire shops so I'm back to working hard, only my two teen sons and their buddy wanted to help. We went to the do-it-yourself junk yard called Pull Apart. anyway after about 2 hrs of knocking them big beauties off and smelting, we came up with 30 lbs. give or take a pound. it cost $6.24 $3.00 admission and 3.24 for the weights. funny thing is, the boys had a blast looking around at the old junk and filling their pockets.

*Paladin*
01-03-2011, 09:00 AM
I understand the frustration. I've hit 11 tire shops in the last week and NONE gave me any lead. One shop said they would sell them to me, but that they had just been cleaned out by another caster. I might have to start pulling WW's at the junkyard too...:(

a.squibload
01-06-2011, 04:43 AM
I'm starting to think again about the barrel of WWs at the Pull & Save,
they wanted to sell me the whole barrel (55 gal drum) but I don't know what's in there for sure,
could be an old tranny or something!

imashooter2
01-06-2011, 08:09 AM
I'm starting to think again about the barrel of WWs at the Pull & Save,
they wanted to sell me the whole barrel (55 gal drum) but I don't know what's in there for sure,
could be an old tranny or something!

So knock it over and see. You're going to have to shovel it into, and off of, your truck anyway.

a.squibload
01-08-2011, 03:57 AM
Knock it over? I'm no Hercules!
They did offer to load it in the truck with their forklift.
Would beat shoveling I guess.
Guessing over 1000 lbs, truck can handle it but not sure I can afford it!
Last time I bought some there it was 40¢/lb I think, probably more now.

Matt_G
01-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Find out what they want for them. If you can't afford it I'm sure someone local would be interested in splitting it with ya.
I might be, depending on the price. But heck, you might be able to swing a good deal and keep them all for yourself.
If the drum is full, and it is all wheel weights, it should go about 1300-1400 pounds roughly.

a.squibload
01-09-2011, 03:10 AM
Well you got me thinkin', and that's no good.
Truck can handle a ton no problem.
I could have 'em dump it over in the truck when they load it.
Would give me a chance to check the bottom of the barrel.
Then I'd shovel it out into buckets or something when I get home.
Guess I could "store" 'em all around the back yard.
Would have to put off the rifle I'm thinking of (lusting after).

Tell me again why I log on here so much?
You critters are gonna get me in trouble.

Matt_G
01-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Tell me again why I log on here so much?
You critters are gonna get me in trouble.

That's what we are here for. Glad I could be of service. [smilie=p:

skytex
01-09-2011, 11:12 AM
bah. every single tire shop within 50 miles has said no to me. the local recycler said no to me. the new car dealers said no. the used said no. the junkyards all said no. the local ranges said no. I honestly have no idea where to try next. :killingpc

imashooter2
01-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Knock it over? I'm no Hercules!
They did offer to load it in the truck with their forklift.
Would beat shoveling I guess.

There you go, knock it over with the fork lift. IMO, you'll be better off shoveling it on than getting home with 3/4 ton of WW in a barrel that you'll have to knock over in the bed of your truck to unload.

imashooter2
01-09-2011, 02:22 PM
bah. every single tire shop within 50 miles has said no to me. the local recycler said no to me. the new car dealers said no. the used said no. the junkyards all said no. the local ranges said no. I honestly have no idea where to try next. :killingpc

I understand your frustration, but remember, 99% of the guys on here with lifetime stashes built it over a period of years with a hit here and a score there. Put out the word to everyone you know that you want lead of any kind and keep looking. I've had dry periods of 2 - 3 years over my casting career when finding a lost weight in the street was the best I could do. But I'm always looking and if something presents I get all I can. Every station in the area has turned me down multiple times. But then later the same places have said yes. Heck, one local tire shop turned me down religiously for years. Then one day the wife stopped in and POOF! a half a bucket of WW were available. Funny what doors a skirt can open.

Another example a few years back I was shooting a match 75 miles up a toll road. That club had an indoor range and I asked the question. Let me tell you driving a 4 cylinder 93 Mustang with 5 buckets of lead in the hatch down a limited access highway is a white knuckle ride! But I was back there in short order with a more suitable conveyance and we wound up taking 14 more buckets before that hole went dry.

So there you have it. A little hit here and a nice score there and I'm sitting pretty... after only 30 years of scrounging.[smilie=1:

Rangefinder
01-12-2011, 02:17 AM
Originally Posted by skytex View Post
bah. every single tire shop within 50 miles has said no to me. the local recycler said no to me. the new car dealers said no. the used said no. the junkyards all said no. the local ranges said no. I honestly have no idea where to try next.

Roofers, plumbers, masons, excavators, radiator shops, etc... Trust me--when the ship does come in, it's going to be loaded down heavy with silver-colored ingots with your name on them. When I first got into this obsession, I was excited to finally get a little 20 lb. box of WW's for a "deal" from one tire shop ($20---what a deal... ). Now, after refining my technique and knowing where to go and how, I have about 1200 lbs. that I haven't even smelted yet. I have ingots stacked in my shop, under my reloading bench, in my gun room, and my wife is borrowing a bunch to use for weight in the back of her car this winter. Before you know it my friend, you will have lead piling up in places you didn't realize you had. Be stubborn--it works.