PDA

View Full Version : converted schmidt 1889

dnepr
12-15-2010, 12:08 AM
I have recently acuired a schmidt rubin 1889 converted to 30-30 it chambers factory rounds but handloads fail to chamber by about .25 " [smilie=b:both my own and a freinds both sets of handloads were full length sized. I will probably have to get busy with the cerrosafe and micrometers:groner: to figure it all out but I figured I would ask here to see if someone had a siminal experience I think there was a bunch of these converted years ago (50's?) i have high hopes for this as a cast boolit rifle but I have found my first hurdle

Jim
12-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Cast boolits or factories?
If cast, what are they sized to when loaded?
Any driving bands left outside the case mouth?

Just trying to think of what might be casing the problem. Can give us some details on your load?

mroliver77
12-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Will a resized case only fit? If yes we know it is the projectile interfering. Load a resized case with a projectile inserted backwards so as to look like a full wadcutter. If that does not chamber then it is probably the neck diameter, if it does fit then we need to look at boolit depth or nose size etc. Just a few thoughts without further info.
Jay

Otony
12-19-2010, 01:05 PM
These were converted in the 50s, as you wrote. I believe the work was done in Canada, but I don't recall clearly, CRS, sigh.

In any event, one thing I do recall very well is that the chambers were sleeved to accept the .30-30 cartridge. Some owners have reported problems with feeding, and also some issues with ill-cut chambers. I hesitate to suggest it, but you may well have one of the latter.

Just an observation, but sleeving chambers in even a low to medium power rifle cartridge such as the .30-30 is usually not considered a very good thing to do. You may encounter gas cutting at the front of the sleeve over a long term period.

Sorry to be the prophet of doom. Just reporting what I have gleaned re: these rifles. for what its worth, I always have wanted one to fool around with......

Multigunner
12-19-2010, 01:18 PM
You might try cleaning up the chamber with a finish reamer.