PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Rick's 720gr .458

Harry Callahan
05-21-2005, 11:17 PM
Anyone experimented with the 720gr .458 bullet Ranger Rick sells? Picked up some to work with, didn't want to re-invent the wheel if someone has experience loading them up in the .458 Winchester. Thinking of a starting load of 35gr H4198 which should be pretty light and work up from there. These could be quite a hammer at 16-1800 fps!

Buckshot
05-22-2005, 04:13 AM
..............That slug must look llike a javelin. I guess you could shoot through a phone pole lengthwise with it, but what is the main attraction, or is it 'Just one of those things' (which I DO understand :-) )?

...............Buckshot

Welcome to the board, btw!

Harry Callahan
05-22-2005, 08:33 AM
Buckshot - absolutely, just a curiosity. 600grs is about my max useful bullet for the .458Win. Thanks for the welcome.

I figure that if they don't work thru the rifle, I can just split a few sticks, tie these on and make some double-ended lead hammers to sell on the boards!

My annual 'take the guys from work to the range' day is coming up, I always try to give them something to talk about for another year (or two, in this case).

Bass Ackward
05-22-2005, 08:54 AM
Buckshot - absolutely, just a curiosity. 600grs is about my max useful bullet for the .458Win. Thanks for the welcome.

I figure that if they don't work thru the rifle, I can just split a few sticks, tie these on and make some double-ended lead hammers to sell on the boards!

My annual 'take the guys from work to the range' day is coming up, I always try to give them something to talk about for another year (or two, in this case).

Harry Callahan?

Is this in a revolver? :grin:

Quickload can tell you what is max with any powder it has listed just by knowing how long it is and the OAL loaded. It works on case volume. Just PM me when you get those measurements in .000 and what powders you want to use. At that weight, I would think 4350 / 4831 would produce the best velocity potential. But that's just a guess.

Harry Callahan
05-22-2005, 10:12 PM
No revolvers with this puppy! I would likely lose the meat on my palm with the first shot!!

The bullet is 1.680 long, crimp groove is 0.970 from the base, 720grs.

I have worked thru 40grs H4198, no pressure signs yet. I am using new cases and checking for the sharp edge to form ahead of the belt, it hasn't formed yet.