PDA

View Full Version : PPC Revolvers

ab_bentley
12-14-2010, 09:15 PM
I have been on a current PPC revolver kick. I am having my first built on a SW Mdl 10, Clark Custom get the check. But my question is if you have a nice PPC pistol(s) and the capability to post pics please do. Adam

Harry O
12-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Boy, that takes me back. I have a PPC revolver made by Bill Davis back in the early 1980's. I had him tighten it up in the late 1980s' or very early 1990's. It was built on a S&W Model 10. It was a Grade VI at the time. It has a slab sided barrel, Aristocrat rib and sights, adjustable front and rear sights, and a couple of weights that could be put under the barrel. I have a single 4oz one mounted. The front sight has heavy protection on both sides (like a Garand), which came in handy one time when I dropped it on concrete. It is in .38 Special, of course.

It had a VERY light mainspring. The mainspring was lightened by Davis. It was just barely powerful enough to ignite a Federal primer -- provided the primer pocket was cleaned out and the primer was solidly seated. It had a double action pull that was nearly as light as a standard S&W single action pull (it seemed that way, anyway -- it was the lightest double action pull I have ever experienced). It came to a point just before the hammer fell that you could feel. At that point, you stopped pulling and brought the sights back on target, then squeezed just a little bit more. Unfortunately, the mainspring was just a little too temperamental. I think it got worse with age (got weaker).

I eventually replaced the mainspring with a light (split in the center) Wolff mainspring. It is heavier than the original, but still a lot lighter than standard S&W's and it ignites EVERY primer. I also did not like the Davis rubber handgrip (too big) and got a Hogue rubber monogrip. It came with an open front holster.

I still have it, but have not used it in 10 years. I don't even know if they have PPC competitions anymore. I no longer belong to the gunrange that had them.

Hardcast416taylor
12-15-2010, 02:21 AM
I got away from shooting PPC over 20 years ago. I used a S&W M 14 in .38 Spcl. that had been worked over by several good smiths before I bought it from the original owner. I still have it but have replaced the "hair" trigger main and trigger rebound springs with a slightly heavier set of Wolff springs. I still teach people to shoot with it and enjoy shooting my steel noise makers on my range with it. Best I could do with it was 499`s, never a perfect 500 - couldn`t stand prosperity I guess!Robert

fecmech
12-15-2010, 12:51 PM
I shot PPC in the 70's with a 6" Model 14 and it's my favorite handgun. I sent it back to S&W in the early 90's and had the barrel turned in 1 turn and the forcing cone re-cut along with a general reconditioning. The gun now wears a Millet dot sight due to aging eyes and no longer fits in the SD Myers "Jordan" rig that I wore back in "The Day". Here's a pic of the rig and Safariland speed loaders that I used.

ReloaderFred
12-15-2010, 03:56 PM
I still have my S&W Model 14 PPC gun. I used it shooting PPC from 1975 through 1980. Mine has a Bomar rib on it, and the action job was done by Kerry Freeman, who worked for Cheshire & Perez, in Monrovia, CA, before he went to work for Bill Davis. Mine's a tackdriver with the stock S&W barrel, which is why I never replaced it with a bull barrel. The action is so smooth, I shot it double action at the 50 yard line. I love that gun, but it's a safe queen these days.

The kids now days don't even attempt 50 yard shooting, especially on the X-ring of a B-27 Target.........

Hope this helps.

Fred

garandsrus
12-15-2010, 10:02 PM
I still shoot PPC and enjoy it. I have a S&W 686 and S&W Model 10 (I think - need to check) that are both set up for the game. The double action pull is very smooth and easy to control.

John

wellfedirishman
12-17-2010, 01:45 PM
I shoot PPC at my local league on Mondays. The PPC we shoot dues not allow holster draw though (range rules), just a start from low ready position.

When shooting revolver (they allow autos also) I generally shoot a S&W Model 19 PPC gun with a heavy 6" barrel (Douglas?) and a Bomar rib sight. I got the gun from an old policeman who used to shoot PPC back in the day. I have a matching Model 17 in 22LR.

It is probably the nicest shooting revolver I have. Super smooth trigger and light (but not too light) pull. It ignites Winchester and Federal primers reliably.

Dale53
12-18-2010, 01:13 AM
I shot PPC extensively back in the sixies. I still have the revolver I shot in PPC. I bought it new from a friend who won it in a pistol match. A S&W Model 14. I added a Bomar Rib and a set of custom grips. It has done YOEMAN work. Fine revolver in every way:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers5Selects-0258.jpg

Dale53

Lloyd Smale
12-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Ive got a dao heavy barreled clark gun built on a model 10 no cammera right now though

Intel6
12-20-2010, 12:50 PM
I picked up a Bill Davis grade 5 ? PPC built on a 4 screw Mod 14 back in the late 80's. I shot at an indor range that Bill Davis had his shop connected to. I still haev it and it is still a great shooter.

Kraschenbirn
12-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Been awhile since I shot a PPC match but my ol' TK Custom 586 still has a slot in the safe. Slab-side Ron Power barrel, TK DAO trigger job, over-size rear sight, and bead-blast matte finish. When I picked it up from Tom's shop, the gun would shoot one-hole groups @ 25 yds from a Ransom rest. Considering the thousands of rounds that have gone down the tube, I doubt it'll do that well today but, I'm certain it still shoots better than I'm capable of holding.

Bill

NoZombies
12-21-2010, 04:43 AM
Dale53,

That gun is a beauty, I especially like the grips on it!

And I'm told by someone that knows, that you do some pretty good shooting.

Dale53
12-21-2010, 09:47 AM
NoZombies;
Thanks for the kind words. Those grips were made for me my Don Rainey of Rainey and Thompson. They bought out a famous grip maker from Detroit (his name escapes me). They were not in the grip business for long but did exemplary work. They were both excellent shots. In fact, the Model 14 here was bought new from Don Rainey (he had won it, new, in a pistol match). I stood right there as he fit the grips to my hand. Rainey and Thompson have been friends of mine for many, many years.

>>>And I'm told by someone that knows, that you do some pretty good shooting.>>>

I keep trying, I do, I do:bigsmyl2:

Dale53

ReloaderFred
12-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Dale53,

When I saw the picture of your PPC gun, I had to go to my gunsafe and make sure mine was still there, since they're exact twins, with the exception of the grips. Mine wears Pachmayr grips, but other than that, they're identical.

I used to have a target that was 12 rounds of HBWC into 1 7/8" at 50 yards from my revolver in a Ransom Rest. Lost that target in a divorce, along with everything else I owned at the time except my guns..........

Fred

cajun shooter
12-21-2010, 11:17 PM
In the 70's and 80's I was working at the range and we held monthly PPC matches. The Nationals were held in Jackson, Mississippi. We had a Mississippi State trooper shoot a 1500 at one of the matches. His 50 yd line looked just like my 25 yd target. The most popular PPC gun to start with is the S&W mdl 10. The reason you don't see the other brands at PPC matches is that the S&W have a faster lock time. We had a Louisiana Trooper by the name of Dale Moore who was one of the best for making grips. Dale left us a few years back and is missed by many.

barnes-450
03-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Hello all,
I hope this thread will continue, I also have a Mod 10 slab side, Bomar rib, barrel weights, smooth as silk, etc and glad to hear that they were a top rated PPC revolver.

I purchased mine in 1990 from a neighbor who shot competitively, and was S&W certified. This is the most accurate handgun that I own, and will consistently (well back then ;-)....) do 1/2 inch at 25 yards from the bench with HBWC.

I also have an early K-38TM that has a beautiful old set of target grips on it. It has had internal work but no modifications to the outside and is very accurate but can't hold a candle to the M10 PPC. However this one was constantly on loan to a fellow who shot on the D.C. Park Police team and took it's share of trophies in the early 80's. If I can get a few pictures taken I will post them both for your enjoyment!!

Dale53, the grips on the K-38 are very similar to yours except mine has a thumb rest!!! BTW yours is a beauty!!!! Take care and God bless. barnes-450

DragoonDrake
03-07-2011, 01:43 PM
I have a question. I see all these ppc revolvers are smiths. Does anyone use a ruger? Not trying to thread Jack?

Artful
03-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Only one I have left
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5159/swppc22lronmodel18.jpg
this is a Model 18 in 22LR built back in the 70's by Carter out of Eugene OR
cheaper practice for 38's, Somewhere I have an old Roger's Holster for it.

Artful
03-07-2011, 02:08 PM
I have a question. I see all these ppc revolvers are smiths. Does anyone use a ruger? Not trying to thread Jack?

Sure they are built on whatever you want -
some of the more fun make overs where

Smolts (Smith with Colt Python barrel)

Cougers (Ruger with Colt Python barrel)

The Bomar Rib wasn't required - these were just to make the sights better and of course to add weight - you can use whatever you wanted as far as revolvers.

But S&W's had some of the best trigger pulls out there. ;-)

9.3X62AL
03-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Some gorgeous older iron showing up here.

My little sister the LT was (and is) a very fine PPC competitor. She has a Davis Model 10 with truck-axle barrel and Aristocrat rib, and she takes great delight in whupping big brother's aspirations with it. It's about a "push" with autopistols, but Kris can whomp me in detail with her rollerpistols. She is really, really good.

Dale53
03-07-2011, 04:14 PM
I shall never forget the great shooters I shot with and against in the various PPC venues. Some of them have left for that Great Range in the Sky. I think about them often...

I realized that PPC was not all that great a practice course for real life combat, but probably the best course of fire extant for practicing hunting skills. That is especially true when real hunting calibers are used.

Often when hunting season was approaching I ran the course with my scoped .44 Magnums. By the time hunting season rolled around, I was just brim full of confidence. It certainly stood me in good stead when the deer showed up.

Our local police department (about a 100 man department at the time) had a Champion shooter for Chief. He REALLY encouraged his troops to learn to shoot and it is notable that there were no accidental shootings by our good policemen. I truly believe that the bad guys knew that they were no one to fool with. When they said STOP! the bad guys pretty much did EXACTLY THAT!

Dale53

9.3X62AL
03-07-2011, 10:40 PM
I realized that PPC was not all that great a practice course for real life combat, but probably the best course of fire extant for practicing hunting skills. That is especially true when real hunting calibers are used. Dale53

True that, sir.

Gunsmoke4570
03-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Here are the guns I've used in PPC at my local club. The custom M10 and 686 were acquired from a gentleman that shot heavily in our area in the 80's.

Top row: S&W M52 38spcl wad cutter, and custom S&W Model 10
Bottom row: Custom 686 and Whichita sight rib, and a stock 686.
Custom work done by Joe Hayes in Lewisburg, WVa. He is a top notch gunsmith and excels at 1911 and S&W revolver work.

cajun shooter
03-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Artful, It's for the reason that I stated in my posting and that is that the design of the lock works of a S&W results in a faster lock time than a Ruger or Colt. I used a Colt Python because that is what my office purchased to shoot the Distinguished matches and I was able to purchase my own 586 that was made by S&W for that very match. They came with a solid rib and a target type pinned front sight so that it could be changed out for different heights of sights. They also had the smooth trigger installed. That model 586 is very hard to find. My friend John Contro at the factory traveled the country to work all the big shoots where he repaired guns for free. He would stay so busy that he said he would work a entire match and never see the guys face. He knew people by the belt buckle they wore and would say to someone who said Hey John remember me you repaired my gun at Jackson,Ms. John would tell them, Let me see your belt buckle and let out a big laugh. John has been gone now for many years but was one of the best instructors at the S&W factory.

x101airborne
03-09-2011, 09:52 AM
I have never shot PPC, but have always been a fan. I found a Smith model 14 in 38 that I believe was someones PPC pistol and purchased it. It has a VERY smooth trigger, but someone intentionally removed the double action notch from the internals. It is a single action only revolver. Pulling the trigger double action only rotates the cylinder, does not raise the hammer. A beautiful gun that needed a good home with someone who understands it. I guess since Im "not all there" either, we are a good team

garandsrus
03-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Here are my PPC Revolvers:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m245/johntlarson/PPCPistols.jpg

They are going to get exercised this evening :)

John

Whistler
03-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Here's my latest project:

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2689/pipvikt1.jpg

Gunsmoke4570
03-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Nice! !

Matthew 25
03-10-2011, 02:39 AM
Good grief! That's a pretty revolver.

Artful
03-10-2011, 03:12 AM
Yep, it's a looker indeed

Wayne Dobbs
03-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Whistler,

You have to tell us ALL about that revolver! It's beautiful and I'm sure it shoots as good as it looks!

DragoonDrake
03-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Whistler,

I never really liked smiths, but that one is Gorgeous. If I saw that in a shop I would be sorely tempted. Thank you for the picture.

Adam

Whistler
03-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Thank you, guys.

The picture shows the S&W Model 629 Classic Champion.
I am currently using an exact same, but a 686 Target Champion. Unfortunately it does not have the unfluted cylinder.

The Champion series are license builds by German firm Wischo. They usually do some trigger work, sort the worst parts out during assembly and then bead blast it for a nice finish.

It has an Aristocrat tri set sight, put in a hood by German firm Merkle Tuning. The front sight is from Merkle as well.

The grip is from the German grip maker Karl Nill (www.nill-griffe.com) and the model is called "The Master II". It has an open backstrap to allow better reach when double action firing.

The barrel weight is bead blasted stainless steel made by two Swedish PPC-shooters in the firm SCORE. The price is about $235 and with custom logo on both sides its an $80 extra. It just threads on the existing under lug and then screw with three brass tipped hardened steel screws from below. SCORE can be reached on info@umeareklam.se

So far it has only been shot in training and load development. I've got the seasons first competition in about three weeks.

StrawHat
03-16-2011, 06:43 AM
ab bentley,

Thank you for taking me back and reminding me of some great days at the range!

Here is my Davis gun. I don't know what grade or when it was built as I was the third or maybe fourth owner. I do know it had two rings in the bore that were caused by previous owners not noticing a misfire during competition. The rings did not seem to harm anything and the revolver shot well enough to keep me in the top of my class until I quit. (The grips were removed and placed on another S&W also used in PPC.)

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/SWDavisCompetitionRevolver001.jpg

Here is the 686 I used in the duty category. I had a 6'" one for use in the Distinguished category also.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/SWM6864inch002.jpg

I dragged out my shooting box (not sure why I still have that) and found some old target centers I cut out and saved. Not sure I can hold that steady any more!

pmeisel
03-16-2011, 08:13 AM
Artful, weren't the Smythons the original inspiration for the 586?

Artful
03-17-2011, 01:16 AM
Yes, I think I remember reading that
- seems most competition guns lead to new developments for the manufactures
- just study up on what the custom smiths are making and you'll see a factory offering sooner or later
- AR15's with all kind of add-on's then Socom pack came out
- Scout rifle by Col. Cooper then Steyr, Savage, Ruger has it.
- Guys building up clone copies of SSK 300 Whisper now Remington has 300 Blackout
- Oh, look Colt is now offering a 1911 with a dust cover rail ;^)