PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Action revolvers

BeeMan
10-18-2006, 01:40 PM
I'm looking at Cowboy Action revolvers and trying to narrow the field. Have looked at and handled the Uberti, USAF Rodeo, Taurus Gaucho, and Ruger New Vaquero. I have had good experience with various Rugers but have no experience with any of the others. Please comment on the good, bad, personal preferences, etc. First hand experiences are preferred, especially if you have handled the New Vaquero and the Gaucho. Sound off!

BeeMan

45 2.1
10-18-2006, 01:45 PM
I'm looking at Cowboy Action revolvers and trying to narrow the field. Have looked at and handled the Uberti, USAF Rodeo, Taurus Gaucho, and Ruger New Vaquero. I have had good experience with various Rugers but have no experience with any of the others. Please comment on the good, bad, personal preferences, etc. First hand experiences are preferred, especially if you have handled the New Vaquero and the Gaucho. Sound off!

BeeMan

The USAF Rodeo and the New Vaquero are excellent on all acounts.

versifier
10-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Gun Tests of a few months back found the Taurus Gaucho was a horrorshow. Their sample shot more than 12" too high (I forget the exact number I seem to remember it as 18", but am not positive). If it was low, you could always file down the front sight. I don't know how they finally worked it out (bend the barrel, silver solder an extension onto the top of the sight?) I am told that their qc is much better than it used to be, but you cannot prove that by what I have seen, nor by most of GT's recent test results. Personally, I would go with the Vaquero.

dtalley
10-18-2006, 05:07 PM
I have two of the Old Vaquero's but a friend has a new one and it is nice. It is a little smaller than the old Vaquero's but I really like the way it shoots.

The Gaucho I just really didn't care for. I shot one at the range a few weeks ago that belonged to a fellow Cowboy Action Shooter, It shot well and handled well but it seemed weak if you know what I mean. For some reason I prefer my old Vaquero's over both.

But then again that is just my opinion.

txpete
10-18-2006, 06:28 PM
I bought a new vaquero 45 colt this year and very happy with it.I am not a cowboy shooter I just like the round:-D .I have found it to be very accurate and not one problem.for me with smaller mitts it fits my hand better than my old model vaquero.
pete
http://www.hunt101.com/img/438111.jpg (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=438111&c=500&z=1)

lefty_red
10-18-2006, 11:33 PM
I got to shoot the Beretta STAMPEDE, and I really liked it!

I don't really care for the Ruger's any more.

Jerry

500bfrman
10-19-2006, 09:05 AM
every gun company will have their issues. I grow weary of every time I look up someone talking about how bad taurus is. Every gun has probelms from everyone. I had a ruger mini 30 that the trigger group would not stay in no matter what. Shoot it a few times the whole housing fell out. Say that about taurus and everyone jumps on the bandwagon and says yeah they all suck. Say that about all the good ol boys rugers and its very unpopular. All the taurus guns I have handled including gauchos have been fine. That said I don't own one at this time. But have owned them in the past. In that Gun tests article they really like the Heritage rough rider if you are on a budget.

lastmanout
10-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Was once an active Cowboy Action shooter. Practicing 300-500 rounds a week. Shot the older style vaquero when they where a new item. Most wins I had was with a 1976 blawkhawk in 357 using 180grain boolits. My Rugers have been strong, unbreakable, accurate and a little heavy in the hand. My buddy likes his Colts and colt clones. The weight and balance makes them feel 'magical':roll: They do need a bit of fixing from time to time. The newest Vaquero looks nice but since I have enough Rugers, I would likely buy a USPA Rodeo. YMMV

NickSS
10-20-2006, 05:47 PM
I have Uberti 45 colts and old model Voceros in 44 Mag. Both work well as cowboy guns but I prefer the ballance and weight of the Ubertis for cowboy shooting so I use them more than any other.

robertbank
10-20-2006, 07:00 PM
I have the Beretta Stampede and happy with it. A couple of things you can learn from my experience. "Loctite" the screws, ALL OF THEM. I have been waiting three weeks for a screw for the ejector rod that fell off when the screw fell out and disappeared into parts unknown. I am told this is common with Colt SAA and the clones of same. All of the screws on my Stampede have backed out and require constant tightening. Missed that damm ejector rod screw and am now am paying for it. Stoeger Arms up here is the importer and is absolutely useless for customer support! I'll buy a Ruger Blackhawk next time around. Ordered a new screw from Brownell's. Should be here next week. What a PITA!

Have to say though the gun is sweet to shoot.

Take Care Eh

Bob

BeeMan
10-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the variety of responses. This will be a family activity for us. My wife and I are leaning heavily toward the New Vaquero. They will be in 357 to minimize recoil for our two young'uns.

I like the 358156 for 357 but 'need' a plain base. Any easy casting favorites in iron or steel blocks? I just can't warm up to Lee's aluminum, despite getting in on the soup can 6 cavity buy several years ago.

BeeMan

robertbank
10-20-2006, 09:28 PM
My two favourites are Lyman's 358477 at 150 grs and Lyman's 358429 at 170 gr. Shooting in my K - 38 the gun seems to favour the lighter bullet using .38spl WW cases and 3.5 gr Bullseye. The heavier bullet I use in my Model 27 using .357 mag cases. I have not yet got a load for the latter that I would recomend yet. Both bullets are very accurate, cast well and make pretty good hunting rounds as well. Both are Keith inspired if not designed by him.

Take Care Eh

Bob

9.3X62AL
10-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Dittoes to Bob's 38 caliber recommendations. I've used the #358477 for over 20 years, and it has been a VERY accurate boolit in over a dozen 38's and 357's I've operated. The #358429 is a newer addition to my fleet, but it is at least as accurate as the former design--and my Colt OMT favors it over the lighter slug.

lastmanout
10-21-2006, 11:51 PM
My favorite 357/38/9mm bullet the past five years has been the Lee 150grain round nose flap point. It is a smaller version of a colt 45 RNFP. Shoots 2" groups at 50 yards, on a good day from my Marlin 1894 Cowboy (cut rifling). After 6000 cast bullet reloads I am a fan. Shoots great in all my revolvers and my 9mm Glock:Fire: I use the 6 gang Lee and it makes a pile of bullets in good time. First good experience I have had with Lee bulet molds. When I wear this one out, I WILL buy the same 6 gang model again.

Dale53
10-22-2006, 12:54 AM
lasmanout;
That same bullet would be my choice in a Cowboy bullet in the six cavity Lee.

However, if a person just can't see a Lee mould in his future (I am a Lee six cavity fan) I would recommend the Lyman 358665 Cowboy Bullet. This kind of looks traditional and loads and shoots well.

Dale53

Hunter
11-09-2006, 01:32 AM
My favorite single action "cowboy" wheelgun is my Colt Cowboy
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/Hunter1911/8.jpg
I have shot a friends Ruger Vaquero a few times and that is an excellent wheelgun as well.

tinsmith
03-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Does anyone have any shooting/loading experience with the Uberti Stallion in 38 Special? It is a smaller version of their full-size model"P". I am mostly interested in a plinking gun to carry out on my property. As a carry gun, I like the smaller size. I have a large pile of .38 Spec. cases and several moulds. So, no new calibers please. I'm also leaning toward Cowboy Action Shooting. Are these guns reasonably accurate and reliable?

Lloyd Smale
03-06-2008, 05:07 AM
Heck just go git yourself a couple first generation colts and really impress the rest of the guys!!

StrawHat
03-06-2008, 07:36 AM
Heck just go git yourself a couple first generation colts and really impress the rest of the guys!!

What Lloyd said!

But the screws still need to be loctited and the action needs some work.

As much as we would like to buy the "perfect" firearm off the shelf, they invariably, all need some fine tuning.

Or at least we like to think they do!

robertbank
03-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Urbertti is now owned by Beretta. Any comments on the Beretta should apply to your Urberti. As posted earlier back out all the screws on the frame including the screw holding the ejector rod and loctite them down using blue loctite. The harmonics of the SAA design cause the screws to back out.

Just remember the SAA design is not all that strong compared to the Ruger so don't be pushing max loads out of the gun very often.

If I hadn't watched so many Roy Rogers movies as a kid I probably would have bought the Ruger Blackhawk.:mrgreen:

Take Care

Bob

76 WARLOCK
03-06-2008, 04:21 PM
The Rugers have the goofy new model action, I am very partial to the original colt action so I prefer the Uberti or usfa. Also the old model Rugers are OK.

Four Fingers of Death
03-06-2008, 04:38 PM
I have used the following in cowboy action shooting:

44Magnum NMSBH, 44Magnum Vaquero, 45 Colt Blackhawk convertible and now have a pair of 45 Colt New Model Vaqueros. I also have a clone in 44/40, but find for competition, the Rugers are bombproof.

I'd go for the Ruger new vaqueros, or if you are happy to shoot modern, the blackhawks are the go, they can be also loaded to handle hot stuff for hunting, etc.

I have never had a Taurus pistol, but have used a lot of their products in the long arm/shotgun line and they never missed a beat. They are a big concern and even make their own springs.

MIck.

Freightman
03-06-2008, 05:17 PM
I bought a Taurus Gaucho because I am cheap $287 delevered to me from CDNN of course I have a FFL. Mine is 45 colt and shoots to POA I do not sucribe to "Gun Test" and do not know what they find but the Taurus preformes fine for me.
I also carry a Makarov which they called a piece of junk and have shot all kinds of ammo and never had a FTF or AD at all. 5000 rounds and still going.

Lloyd Smale
03-06-2008, 06:20 PM
i guess i dont see why guys get uptight about using a ruger in competion because of the new lock work and lack of originality. the same guys go out there shooting 45 colts with 160 grain bullets at speeds so slow that they barely clear the barrel. They spend big bucks tuning a sixgun that the average real cowboy would have never done. then they put on fancy clothes that would have probably got them shot for being gay back in the real west and then call themselves cowboys. Buy yourself a ruger. If your going to compete with rules like they have you might as well use a good gun that will last a season without gunsmithing.

dubber123
03-06-2008, 06:34 PM
i guess i dont see why guys get uptight about using a ruger in competion because of the new lock work and lack of originality. the same guys go out there shooting 45 colts with 160 grain bullets at speeds so slow that they barely clear the barrel. They spend big bucks tuning a sixgun that the average real cowboy would have never done. then they put on fancy clothes that would have probably got them shot for being gay back in the real west and then call themselves cowboys. Buy yourself a ruger. If your going to compete with rules like they have you might as well use a good gun that will last a season without gunsmithing.

Tell us how you REALLY feel Lloyd![smilie=1:

xtimberman
03-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Aren't we lucky to have all those single action choices? Just a few decades ago, we had only Colt SAAs and Ruger Blackhawks to pick from!

My Cowboy action shooter friends tell me that the Ruger Vaqueros kick butt on everything else in the durability department, but you have to deal with that funky "new" action. They're probably correct because I have a couple of Colts and a Cimarron/Uberti that require a fair amount of fiddling to keep them 100% operational if they're shot frequently.

That said, a 4 3/4" SAA of any brand is a mighty sleek and handy firearm, and IMO, the Queen of all revolvers.

xtm

EDK
03-07-2008, 05:34 AM
There are plenty of Original Size VAQUEROS out there...especially 45s. A 357 or 44 or any BISLEY just takes a little more looking...and a little more money. They are on the internet auctions and forums for $400 and up; sometimes less. (I missed a 7.5 inch 44, blue/cc for $305 last week...and then worked a couple of shifts of over time that would have paid for it and then some.)

NEW VAQUEROS aren't bad. They're just too small for my big hands and they aren't 44 special/magnums.

:cbpour::redneck:

Lloyd Smale
03-07-2008, 06:52 AM
shows dont it!! Ive shot a total of one of them. Did pretty good but between the fact that i had a t shirt and jeans on and the fact that i kicked but on a couple of there golden boys I just got the feeling i wasnt welcome. I found most of them put more time into how there dressed then how they shoot. I shoot a couple other types of handgun competition. Most a phony in there own way. I enjoy ppc but its a laugh to consider it training for a police officer. Thing is that people are allways nice there and dont care who you are. Cowboy events just seem to draw clickish arogant people. I used to frequent the sass web site too and found the same thing there. They think there a notch better then anyone else. They preach the cowboy way and the ethics that go along with it but if your not in there little cliche watch out. I got roasted good on there when i told them all that it was a joke that they shot matches with little cat sneeze loads that no real cowboy would have ever been stupid enough to put in his gun. The real cowboys looked for the most powerful gun they could afford or find. Old blackpowder 45 colt and 4440 loads were more powerful back then then factory level smokeless loads are today.
Tell us how you REALLY feel Lloyd![smilie=1:

sundog
03-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Lloyd, SASS oughta institute power factors like some of the 'action pistol' venues. Major would have to be equivalent to "REAL" cowboy loads. Wouldn't that be a hoot? Huh, cowboy?

Lloyd Smale
03-07-2008, 08:42 AM
I agree totaly. About half those guys would run and hide if they had to shoot a 45 colt load with a 250 at 900 fps. A load most of us consider a plinking load. Your power factor would eliminate all the cat sneeze loads and eliminate the other joke in those competions. Guys that shoot .38 specials and even .32 mags and longs. I cant ever recall a cowboy that used a .38 specail and i know none of them shot .32 mags!! Like i said what makes me angry in that sport is that they allow that and want to tell a guy what kind of gun to use or that they cant have a certian hammer or sight on there gun. Seems like they bend the rules around to suit a few.

dukers65
03-07-2008, 09:26 AM
i do like my cimarron 44 special ,but my rugers performance,strength,warranty ,and customer service seem to instill a bit more confidence. another way to look at it with your clones in
five years if the gun breaks it's your dime, with ruger,if it breaks it's their dime. just a thought from bleachers on a friday morning. dan

xtimberman
03-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Even though I've only participated in one of these matches, I'm not gonna pick on the Cowboy Action or SASS folks. They've created the fastest growing shooting activity the industry has seen in many, many decades. I've never observed any of the outlandish snobbery mentioned above, but I know that it's prevalent in some few clubs that emphasize "authentic" garb. It's their club and they can set their own standards, but seems terribly bad form to criticize a guest or newcomer for just that. JMO. There are plenty of groups out there who just want you to show up and shoot. If you wear modern duds, you won't win a costume prize, but you'll be welcome just the same.

However, their new game has revived the pipsqueak loads mentioned above. That in itself isn't so bad, but the odd and rapid two-thumbed shooting they do has me concerned about potential problems with careless reloading and potential squibs. This particular 2-handed shooting method also creates really bad habits for times when shooting an autopistol - jeopardizing your weak hand thumb.

xtm

joatmon
03-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I would like to have the money to spend and run across an old frame vaquero SS,5.5'' 45LC
to go with my other. I got it in 99 in preperation to start sass, went to a match in 2000 to
have a looksee. After reading up on the clubs requirements I dawned my bestest westest
jeans, long sleeve blue jenie looken shirt(closest too western looken I had), pulled on my cowboy boots and pushed on my outback hat! Grabed 2 box's 12ga#8 and 4 box's 45lc. last
but not least was that SS Vaquero and holster! Drove 2 hours to the closest sass shoot and
got ready for all those offers, got met at the gate with wheres your glasses and ear plugs,
silly me in all that excitement I forgot( but was really glad to be reminded) went to the work
van and got some. Back in and got a big HOWDY where's yer irons? Well I got 1 45 and all
the ammo! Well look around and we'll get started soon, thanks I said( hmm,that must not
be the one that offers to help you out) Everybody ya meet, HOWDY, where's yer irons. Musta
had a booger hangen from my nose that I didn't notice. Now I did have several tell me if I
liked it and started coming back I WOULD HAVE TOO DRESS WESTERNEEE. I did get many offers to sign up for sass membership. Since then I have aquired a 45lc marlin cowboy and
a 12ga sxs with hammers but still just have the one vaquero. I would never show up again
without ALL my equipment but would like to give sass a try someday when I learn how to
dress WESTERNEEE.

Lloyd Smale
03-07-2008, 02:24 PM
ill wear what i want, shoot full power loads and if i want to see people dressed up like cowboys brokeback mountain is on tv about everyother night anymore. there as much of a cowboy as most guys that compete are. More like a costume party then a real shoot. Sorry guys ill cool off now and stay out of it.

eaglefacts
03-07-2008, 04:03 PM
I have a Blakhawk in 357. Love the way it shoots. My 13 year old daughter is in love with helping me load and shoot it as well.

StrawHat
03-08-2008, 07:52 AM
I have a gripe with the cowboy action groups but it has nothing to do with the costuming.

I object to two things.

Like others have mentioned, the limp loads they encourage, is one. I quit shooting cap guns years ago.

The other problem I see is they claim to be "cowboy" but in order to be competitive you need 2 revolvers, 1 rifle and 1 shotgun at a minimum! That's not a working cowboy that's not even most lawdogs.

Too bad they don't do like other shooting competitions and rodeos, individual matches for those who just want to shoot one phase and king of the hill for those so inclined.

I just don't understand how the average cowpuncher was able to afford and carry a small arsenal on $1/day?

Lloyd Smale,

I enjoy ppc but its a laugh to consider it training for a police officer.

I used to shoot PPC and like you, don't believe it teaches tactics. However, after competing for a while, it does teach you much of what you need to know about accurate shooting and that is sorely lacking in most departments.

Having been a range officer when I was wearing tin, I have seen veteran officers who could not score hits at the 10' line! But that is for a different thread.

Four Fingers of Death
03-08-2008, 05:15 PM
I would like to have the money to spend and run across an old frame vaquero SS,5.5'' 45LC
to go with my other. I got it in 99 in preperation to start sass, went to a match in 2000 to
have a looksee. After reading up on the clubs requirements I dawned my bestest westest
jeans, long sleeve blue jenie looken shirt(closest too western looken I had), pulled on my cowboy boots and pushed on my outback hat! Grabed 2 box's 12ga#8 and 4 box's 45lc. last
but not least was that SS Vaquero and holster! Drove 2 hours to the closest sass shoot and
got ready for all those offers, got met at the gate with wheres your glasses and ear plugs,
silly me in all that excitement I forgot( but was really glad to be reminded) went to the work
van and got some. Back in and got a big HOWDY where's yer irons? Well I got 1 45 and all
the ammo! Well look around and we'll get started soon, thanks I said( hmm,that must not
be the one that offers to help you out) Everybody ya meet, HOWDY, where's yer irons. Musta
had a booger hangen from my nose that I didn't notice. Now I did have several tell me if I
liked it and started coming back I WOULD HAVE TOO DRESS WESTERNEEE. I did get many offers to sign up for sass membership. Since then I have aquired a 45lc marlin cowboy and
a 12ga sxs with hammers but still just have the one vaquero. I would never show up again
without ALL my equipment but would like to give sass a try someday when I learn how to
dress WESTERNEEE.

If you had of turned up in an old cowboy town sporting two revolvers in the old days, you would have instantly be labelled 'gunfighter/bad a$$' and run out of town at the point of a shotgun if the sherrif had any sand.

My club shoot practice/informal every third Sunday and have four weekend shoots a year, 2x3 day events and 2x 1 1/2 day events. Every second shoot is 'Colonial Action.' SASS rules apart from the fact that you only carry one revolver and the rifles are limited to 6 shots each stage, allowing the old half magazine lever guns which were popular in Australia in days gone by and are still pretty prolific. Dress is centred around Colonial Australia on these days, but like Cowboy days, we aren't too fussy about dress. Modern jeans, long sleeve shirt, white straw hat and elastic sided Aussie riding boots are the norm. You are still welcome in modern gear, but of course don't get considered for the period dress awards. One of our best shots is a charming 16yr old (she has been competing since she was 12) young lady who wears the latest kids fashions and lots of bling. She wore pink camo hipsters and a bare midriff last shoot and kicked butt shooting full strength BP loads in her dad's 44Mag Rossi, coach gun and 44Cap and Ball Colt Clone revolvers. The Colonial Action days also have a double action class for older DAs without supported ejector rods, fancy sights, etc.

If you turn up without anything, a club gun or a loaner will be produced, or you will be teamed up with a guy who will lend you what you need for the day.

We want you to shoot, have fun and come back. The 357s are popular here because of the special licensing required for over 38 calibre, but there are no champeens so we don't see much in the capgun line. The guys and girls who get the most attention are the ones making the most noise and smoke.

I'm not all that serious about authenticity, but shoot heathy loads that would have kept me alive if I was doing it for real in the old days. If I ever got to shoot anything, I'd want to neutralise it, not annoy it.

Mick.

MakeMineA10mm
03-09-2008, 12:58 AM
I get asked this question a lot, 'cause I used to shoot a lot of CAS. (Started working Sundays, though, and screwed that all up! :mad: )

Anyhow, here is my standard answer:

First, decide why you're shooting CAS. I've seen three general reasons to do so:

1. PLAYING COWBOY - Imitating your favorite wild west big-screen movie actor.
2. SPORT - Being a gamer / playing to win.
3. AUTHENTICITY - Having some experience that is historically accurate to really feel what it was like back then. (Scrupulously avoiding all the myth, and allowing one to learn via experience.)

If you fall into category one, there is probably only one choice: Colt. You can get by with a USFA (because they're DANG hard to tell from a Colt, unless you read the co. name roll-stamped on the gun).

If you fall into category two, there is really just one choice: Ruger. It can be either a New V. or an Old V., but a Vaquero it shall be. Why? What Lloyd said above - you want something you can shoot a lot without falling apart or needing ridiculous amounts of maintenance. Also, the Vaq. can be tuned up into a REAL nice gamer's gun. Lastly, the New Vaquero has chambers that actually line up correctly, and a free-spin pawl, so you can go backwards! Combined with the smaller grip, and Ruger resilience/reliability, and you can't go wrong.

If you fall into the last category, than you have many, many options. IF you want to really feel the old wild west (post civil war to about 1880) of the free-range era, you really need to stick to black powder, and either cap-and-ball revolvers, cartridge conversions, or early cartridge pistols (like the S&W#3 or Uberti 1872 Open Top). The latter two are what I carry. Keep in mind, that if you choose this category, you will have guns that require a fair share of TLC. That's part of the experience. That's what real olden-days cowboys had to do. (Of course, they shot their guns a lot less than we do in CAS...)

Those are my recommendations. YMMV.

unclebill
03-09-2008, 10:52 AM
I agree totaly. About half those guys would run and hide if they had to shoot a 45 colt load with a 250 at 900 fps. A load most of us consider a plinking load. Your power factor would eliminate all the cat sneeze loads and eliminate the other joke in those competions. Guys that shoot .38 specials and even .32 mags and longs. I cant ever recall a cowboy that used a .38 specail and i know none of them shot .32 mags!! Like i said what makes me angry in that sport is that they allow that and want to tell a guy what kind of gun to use or that they cant have a certian hammer or sight on there gun. Seems like they bend the rules around to suit a few.
funny you should say that.
that IS my plinking load!
as far as SASS goes i dont need company to shoot really cool old style guns.
i do just fine all by myself.:Fire:

unclebill
03-09-2008, 10:55 AM
also i am not willing to buy clothes i wouldnt wear to the bar!

winchester243
03-09-2008, 11:53 AM
I get asked this question a lot, 'cause I used to shoot a lot of CAS. (Started working Sundays, though, and screwed that all up! :mad: )

Anyhow, here is my standard answer:

First, decide why you're shooting CAS. I've seen three general reasons to do so:

1. PLAYING COWBOY - Imitating your favorite wild west big-screen movie actor.
2. SPORT - Being a gamer / playing to win.
3. AUTHENTICITY - Having some experience that is historically accurate to really feel what it was like back then. (Scrupulously avoiding all the myth, and allowing one to learn via experience.)

You missed #4

To Have Fun and enjoy some comradedeship with fellow gun owners.

I started taking my boys when they were 13, they loved it. The guys and gals (at least at the shoots I go to) are great, they encouraged them, complimented them on their safe gun handling, let them look at and shoot some of their guns. No one cared if you won/lost or weren't exatly period accurate in your clothing etc. The prevailing attituted was do the best you can, be safe and have fun.

My boys never went away without a smile on their face and that's all that mattered to me.

sundog
03-09-2008, 12:22 PM
#4 is why I participate occasionally. We have a pretty good bunch at our club that come out for the FUN of it. There's a few gamers once in a while, but everyone is there to have fun. Another club close by actually has a permanent cowboy town that's pretty neat - more costumes and gamers at that one. Either way, if you show up, even without 'shootin' arns' you can get to shoot. Some pardna is always willing to hep out.

Lloyd Smale
03-09-2008, 12:36 PM
AMEN to both of your posts.

sundog
03-09-2008, 12:45 PM
We even do a wild bunch shoot a couple times a year. Now THAT'S a hoot! One other guy and I showed up with period correct western style 1911 holsters. The rest of the guys took a good natured ribbing for not having one. That's the FUN part. When they do it, a big pot of beans is on the menu, too, outdoors 'chuck wagon' style.

winchester243
03-09-2008, 02:56 PM
We even do a wild bunch shoot a couple times a year. Now THAT'S a hoot! One other guy and I showed up with period correct western style 1911 holsters. The rest of the guys took a good natured ribbing for not having one. That's the FUN part. When they do it, a big pot of beans is on the menu, too, outdoors 'chuck wagon' style.

Several members of the West Yellowstone Club shoot where I do, the last match of the year they hold includes a chili cookoff, They advertise it as a "shoot and toot". I'm going to try and make it to it next year and whip up some of my 3 beast 3 bean chili. :-D

MakeMineA10mm
03-11-2008, 05:08 PM
You missed #4

To Have Fun and enjoy some comradedeship with fellow gun owners.

I started taking my boys when they were 13, they loved it. The guys and gals (at least at the shoots I go to) are great, they encouraged them, complimented them on their safe gun handling, let them look at and shoot some of their guns. No one cared if you won/lost or weren't exatly period accurate in your clothing etc. The prevailing attituted was do the best you can, be safe and have fun.

My boys never went away without a smile on their face and that's all that mattered to me.

Well, I don't know too many who ONLY go for #4, and I thought about adding it somehow. I though about, and should have said, that all of the three other categories all have this characteristic, too.

I fall into #3 and #4. My buddy falls into #2 and #4, and I would say most of our club falls into #1 and #4....

45Jack
06-12-2008, 08:11 PM

You could wear your outfit to the bar. Just be cautious if anyone offers to push in your stool.[smilie=1:

unclebill
06-15-2008, 09:25 PM
You could wear your outfit to the bar. Just be cautious if anyone offers to push in your stool.[smilie=1:

snicker.....:drinks:

bc3660
06-15-2008, 09:59 PM
I shoot CAS just to get my treehugging wife to see "the other side" and let me make boolits.
She has even started shooting too. never held a gun till she met me and went to a CAS match and saw me shoot and talked to the fokes there. She finishes last every match but gets better each time and has such a big grin on her face when its over!! She even got a ribon for being #2 in her class. There were only 2 of them but she was so proud of that pice of ribbon that she hung it on the wall! I know alot of people knock CAS but if it can do for yours what it has done for mine more power to it!!!! I leave for Iraq in 9 months and one of my friends is going to reload for her so she can still go and feel closer to me. And like my momma used to say " If you aint got somthing nice to say say nothing at all.

Perhaps we should start a new thread for CAS shooters to discuss their trials and tribulations.

Onlymenotu
06-16-2008, 08:43 PM
I shoot CAS just to get my treehugging wife to see "the other side" and let me make boolits.
She has even started shooting too. never held a gun till she met me and went to a CAS match and saw me shoot and talked to the fokes there. She finishes last every match but gets better each time and has such a big grin on her face when its over!! She even got a ribon for being #2 in her class. There were only 2 of them but she was so proud of that pice of ribbon that she hung it on the wall! I know alot of people knock CAS but if it can do for yours what it has done for mine more power to it!!!! I leave for Iraq in 9 months and one of my friends is going to reload for her so she can still go and feel closer to me. And like my momma used to say " If you aint got somthing nice to say say nothing at all.

Perhaps we should start a new thread for CAS shooters to discuss their trials and tribulations.

bc3660 @ Good for you.... you got her out there and shooting thats all thats importiant....First place or last place she's shooting thats what the Sport needs.
I never understood how any One aspect/ group of shooting/shooters were any better than any other full auto vs singleshot ,,,, benchrest shooters vs trap/skeet shooters ,,,, REAL BLACK vs FAKE POWDER.... flintlock/cap & or vs inline....rifles /shotguns are better the pistols...... the bicking between then themselfs would be better spent battling the ANTI's ,,,,,INSTEAD OF WEAKING OUR OWN FOUNDATION.... from with in,,,,,,,JUST GO SHOOTING ...AND ENJOY IT:drinks:

Boomer Mikey
06-18-2008, 02:03 PM
I’ve been to many matches of various disciplines over the last 40+ years and I’ve never found a friendlier, safer group of shooters overall than with the CAS crowd. My experience is that no other shooting discipline tolerates newbie shooters as courteously with respect for their dignity. No other discipline accepts women and children as openly and as equals. All of our shooting sports have become “equipment races” it would be anti-American to do otherwise; but with the CAS sports there are several ways to have fun including spending as much money as you want to, as a gamer, as a dresser, and as a person that enjoys shooting with their friends and family, meeting new friends and helping each other.

There must be something to CAS… it’s the fastest growing shooting sport with the largest percentage of women, children, and senior citizen participation. CAS has the greatest “fun” factor. With the inclusion of “Wild Bunch” events including the use of a 1911 45 ACP with holsters and magazine pouches that meet IPSC regulations participation has increased dramatically.

Those of you who would label someone else as an outcast because they don’t share your idea of fun are the wimps. If you must pick on someone, pick on the people who are anti-gun and then blame yourself. You’ll find that most anti-gun people are scared about guns because we as a society are too lazy to teach our children about guns, why our forefathers created the second amendment, what guns are for, and how to use guns responsibly.

All of us should be grateful for the popularity of CAS and the positive influence it’s had on our society.

I wonder if I showed up for an IPSC match in my cowboy outfit with my 45 GI holster rig if the IPSC boys would comment that that my baseball cap was missing?

Boomer :Fire:

McLintock
06-18-2008, 04:27 PM
If you like the 4 clicks of a Colt, but the ruggedness of the Ruger, you could go with Old Model 3 screw Rugers slightly modified. Here's a set of OM .357's, converted to .44 Special and Colt style backstraps, with Old Army grip frames and steel ejector rod housings; all steel, just like a Colt. But the set, including cost of the original guns was less then a Colt, partcularly a 1st or 2nd gen one, and a lot less then a set of USFA's fully tricked out. I shoot mostly black powder (the real stuff) in these; a case full of KIK 2F and a 200 gr bullet is a pretty good load.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1620/1303399/7384995/289232126.jpg

And here's a set of Old Model Single Six's, converted to .32 H&R, for Senior and Modern type categories. Again, cost was less than one Colt, and a lot less then 2 USFA's; but they're very dependable and durable.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1620/1303399/7384995/289232131.jpg

Concerning SASS and it's direction, it's really dampened my enthusiasm for the sport with the emphasis on speed, light loads and internal mods to the guns to make them faster and faster. The guns above I had built because I got tired of fixing Colts and Colt Clones, and I didn't like the new, lawyer inspired lockwork of the Rugers.
McLintock

Springfield
06-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Lloyd: I shoot cas, and I also like to go to Scottish games. Wear a kilt and everything, but I wouldn't wear it to a bar. I don't see what one has to do with the other.

jim 44-40
06-18-2008, 05:41 PM
I like Rugers, and they fix em when and if they ever break!!!!

Boomer Mikey
06-19-2008, 02:43 AM
Concerning SASS and it's direction, it's really dampened my enthusiasm for the sport with the emphasis on speed, light loads and internal mods to the guns to make them faster and faster. McLintock

McLintock,

I agree with you about the emphasis on speed and lite loads. I've been shooting with a rogue group that's adopted OWSA (Old West Shooting Association) rules that place more emphasis on accuracy with smaller targets at greater distances and a 10 second penalty for misses. Some targets are selected to require a good hit with a standard power 250 grain 45 Long Colt load to go down, effectively leveling the field with the lowest power load advocates. It's very common to see 45-70's used for main match rifles at these matches and 10 gage shotguns with black powder loads.

SASS has been talking about a minimum power factor for years. I believe requiring one would improve the situation but I don't believe most clubs would comply.

Boomer :Fire:

Four Fingers of Death
06-21-2008, 12:43 AM
I have a pair of the new model Vaqueros in 45 Colt. I have huge hands and I seem to do better with this then the old vaquero, I don't accidently slip the hammer as often. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's the way it is. I am about to convert to classic cowboy and shoot BP, I didn't fancy the 45Colt with BP out of a rifle and also wanted just one ammo type on the loading table, so converted to Piettas in 44/40 (I already shoot 44/40 in rifles).

If the NMVaquero came out in 44/40, I would have bought them, but they don't so, I have gone over to clones.

I'm not all that interested in 357s, but if that was what I was going to shoot, it would be Rugers all the way.

MakeMineA10mm
06-21-2008, 01:00 AM
If you like the 4 clicks of a Colt, but the ruggedness of the Ruger, you could go with Old Model 3 screw Rugers slightly modified. Here's a set of OM .357's, converted to .44 Special and Colt style backstraps, with Old Army grip frames and steel ejector rod housings; all steel, just like a Colt.

Concerning SASS and it's direction, it's really dampened my enthusiasm for the sport with the emphasis on speed, light loads and internal mods to the guns to make them faster and faster. The guns above I had built because I got tired of fixing Colts and Colt Clones, and I didn't like the new, lawyer inspired lockwork of the Rugers.
McLintock

Wow pard. Love those Rugers you "made" and I agree with your opinions on SASS. I like NCOWS myself, but I'm into the historical accuracy and respect those shooters who just enjoy living out childhood memories/fantasies of the old Hopalongs and Roy Rogers.

I also agree that there should be a minimum power factor, but one thing that bothers me about it is if it would exclude the women and kids who participate so much. I also do NOT like the idea of developing a "super-squad" of professional shooters like IPSC has done. That winds up always getting the glory and everyone is just trying to catch them. That would cause CAS to lose it's fun aspect, which is already the problem with the mouse-fart loads some shoot...

I personally try to duplicate the 44 Henry load, so I shoot 44 Russians w/ 210gr RNFPs and ~25grs of FFFg and a LR primer. That's probably the weakest load that would still be authentic to the old west. (I take that back - 1851 Navys and 1860 Armys shoot lighter bullets and powder loads than that. And, considering the reloading speed and other eccentricities, as well as their authenticity, I think they should be allowed in the "major" category as well! :Fire: )

I just got a modified lifter so's I can shoot 44 Russians out of a 44 Special 1866, so now I got a rifle, pistol, and shotgun... Just need my second pistol. (Another aspect of SASS that's not very authentic. It was a darn rare gunfighter who carried two pistols on him. Hickok did, but I think that was for sake of firepower, considering he carried 1851 Navys.)