PDA

View Full Version : 5744 in 223 with the j words..?

leadloader
12-13-2010, 11:42 PM
i was looking to make it out to the range and test a few rounds i have loaded up of 5744 in the 223 i was starting with 16.8 and going up 17.2 17.9 etc just wondering about oal its listed in the manual as 2.23 when im more custom to seating to 2.26/2.27 just a qeustion i was juggleing in my mind thank you...

felix
12-14-2010, 10:23 AM
What kind of gun are you shooting this load in? ... felix

Ben
12-14-2010, 10:44 AM
leadloader :

The longest overall length is determined by the rifle's own internal chamber dimensions and the rifle's mag. length ( assuming that you don't want to have to load the rifle strictly as a single shot ).

I seat a jacketed bullet out as close to the rifling as possible....I never pay any attention to the OAL listed in reloading manuals. Their data is for their particular rifle that they fired the rounds in. They aren't holding my rifle making those measurements. I'll have to do that.

runfiverun
12-14-2010, 04:40 PM
the minimum length is the one i pay attention to.
and like Ben i usually go as long as possible, at least to start out.
i did have one rifle that liked a really long jump to the lands once though.
i would bet they list that short length either to help the powder [ignition] or for thier particular rifles feeding habits.
they are reloaders too.

leadloader
12-14-2010, 07:24 PM
i was under the impresion of that was for optimal ignition and pressure but dont know if my stevens 200 bolt gun in .223 would like those seated so short... ive played around with diffrent oal with my current powder and found that 2.26 is the oal that offers a good tight group.... oddly enough my chamber is out to 2..34 to the lands and grooves...never tryed it out that far
that roughly half of the neck that has a 55 gr seated in it... maybe this gun is designed for heavy stuff i dont know .... what i was asking in refrence to the 2.23 seating oal is that minimal or optimal... is there to long of a "jump" that can be made by the bullet? i would hate to blow up my gun.... Thanks your replys have been more than helpful...

donald duck
12-29-2010, 10:29 PM
Have never tries 5744 in anything but my Ruger # 1 in 7 X 57. Load it behind 120 grain cast GC that I cast, seat GC, and lube then run through a Lee .285 sizing die. Have loaded 14 to 18 grains of 5744. 14 grains very accurate. A light fun to shoot load!! donald duck

pdawg_shooter
12-30-2010, 09:11 AM
the minimum length is the one i pay attention to.
and like Ben i usually go as long as possible, at least to start out.
i did have one rifle that liked a really long jump to the lands once though.
i would bet they list that short length either to help the powder [ignition] or for thier particular rifles feeding habits.
they are reloaders too.

I have a Savage 112 in .223 that loves Remington 50gr. bullets. Kind of strange because if I seated them to touch the rifling, there would be a gap if about 1/8" between the base of the bullet ant the end of the case! A 69gr BTHP can be seated to touch the rifling but doesent group near as well.

Larry Gibson
12-30-2010, 09:50 AM
leadloader

... oddly enough my chamber is out to 2..34 to the lands and grooves...never tryed it out that far

That be about optimal for the Lyman Lovern style 225462 cast bullet with the GC seated at the base of the neck:-)

Larry Gibson

Harry O
12-30-2010, 01:18 PM
I don't have much problem with 5744 in a lever action rifle where the bottom opens every time a new cartridge is jacked into the chamber. However, I would worry about using it in anything that had a closed bottom that could trap powder.

5744 is the worst powder I have ever tried when it comes to burning. One time, I was using it in a 44-40 handgun. There were so many unburned grains that I tapped the gun on the shooting table after each cartridge was pushed out. After 5 were removed, there was nearly enough unburned powder on the table to load one more cartridge.

Going to magnum primers and a heavy crimp did help just a little bit, but very little. It is not quite as bad when using it at higher pressures, but even at approx. 35,000-40,000psi, it still leaves a lot of unburned grains.

leadloader
01-04-2011, 02:03 AM
hmmm unburned powder seems to be the story with 5744.