PDA

View Full Version : What's it worth?

x101airborne
12-13-2010, 07:18 PM
I went by my local friendly radiator shop and for 20.00, I got 3 - 6 gallon buckets of solder drippings. The owner told me that they ONLY use 60 - 40 solder. So far i have rendered around 1/4 of a bucket and have around 25 pounds of solder bars. I will not need that much and am thinking of selling / trading some. Question is, if I render and attempt to clean as much of the gunk out as i can (and boy it's a lot), what is a fair asking trade / price? Would it be appropriate to ask for 4 pounds lead or 3 pounds WW for each pound of solder? I am not looking to make any money on this, just help out a brother (yall), and further my casting career. Am considering trading for anything.... Loaders, molds, brass, etc., but I want to be honest and fair. This may get posted later this week.

I know what Rotometals is getting, but this is not Rotometals quality. Still good stuff, though.

thegreatdane
12-14-2010, 12:51 PM
I don't know, but I'm interested.

rob45
12-14-2010, 01:55 PM
You need to first get it all processed in order to see what your total investment is in both money and time.

1. Initial cost of product. ($20)
2. Your expense to process it (fuel, etc.).
3. Everyone places a different value on their time.
4. How much weight is in the finished product?

Once you have the total cost to process the entire amount, it's simply a matter of dividing the finished weight into that cost to give you an idea of how much you paid per pound.

Whether you sell it at that cost or higher is up to you, but you need to know your investment before you proceed.
If you decide to trade, then you have an idea of what is a "fair trade". It does you no good to trade something that cost you $10 for something being sold for $5.

BTW, be sure to flux well with the purpose of retaining as much tin as possible. When processing used solder, I like to keep a cover layer on the melt.
But that's just me.

Good Luck,
Rob

RP
12-14-2010, 06:44 PM
not to bad of a haul it sounds like. My wifes uncle has a rad shop and I cant get him to save the drippings.

Dennis Eugene
12-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Darn good Advice from rob45. Dennis

WHITETAIL
12-18-2010, 08:55 AM
rob45 is right.
First proscess it then you will know how much it is worth to you.
:cbpour:

jbelder
01-02-2011, 10:04 AM
I went by my local friendly radiator shop and for 20.00, I got 3 - 6 gallon buckets of solder drippings. The owner told me that they ONLY use 60 - 40 solder. So far i have rendered around 1/4 of a bucket and have around 25 pounds of solder bars. I will not need that much and am thinking of selling / trading some. Question is, if I render and attempt to clean as much of the gunk out as i can (and boy it's a lot), what is a fair asking trade / price? Would it be appropriate to ask for 4 pounds lead or 3 pounds WW for each pound of solder? I am not looking to make any money on this, just help out a brother (yall), and further my casting career. Am considering trading for anything.... Loaders, molds, brass, etc., but I want to be honest and fair. This may get posted later this week.

I know what Rotometals is getting, but this is not Rotometals quality. Still good stuff, though.

It's more than likely it's 40/60 that's what I got from my radiator buddy! I think that's what the majority of the radiator shops use.