PDA

View Full Version : Metallic Silhouette Handgun

lefty_red
10-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Ok, I finally got one of the two things I always wanted. I mean the M25 45LC DA Mountian Gun from S&W! It was the first "crush" I ever had a handgun. I should have it out of layaway by December.

The second thing I alway wanted was a good hanggun to shoot metallics with. I've got a 6" 686 square butt. And I think it should do great. But I always lusted after a T/C or Dan Wesson to shoot the metal piggies.

I think I'm going to start out small and stick with my 686 for Field for right now. But I was wondering what was a good .22 for Small Bore. I don't want to get "really crazy", but I want something I can afford and something that can get the job done if I'm up to it.

For a base, let's say a $300-$350 handgun, then around $300 for any add on.

Jerry:mrgreen:

David R
10-18-2006, 06:07 AM
You are going to love the M25. I have one and won silly wet with it last year (with cast of course). I think mine has a 5" barrel, adjustable sights, matt black and unfluted cylinder (25-7) Accuarate gun, fun to shoot.

David

7br
10-18-2006, 07:52 AM
I don't think I know a sillywet shooter without at least one T/C. They no longer make "production" 10" barrels for IHMSA, but you can pick up 10" barrels either from FoxRidge or from ebay, etc. Gives you a place to work from. I have a 18" 7TCU carbine barrel that is extremely accurate. My kids each have a frame and I need to get one more .22 Carbine barrel for the kids.

If you can find a 10" ruger MKII for smallbore, you can have a ton of fun. I scoped one up for the kids, but they decided not to shoot it. I shot a 40x40 with it first time in competition. A 10" Single-Six with good sights can be competitive.

The Browning Buckmark Silhouette or Varmit models are shooters.

I am currently playing with a T/C 10" .22 hornet and it is a hoot.

lefty_red
10-18-2006, 08:45 AM
From what I've read online, the 22 hornet is the "goods" in Field/Hunting.

I think I can only afford an older T/C right now, but I've never heard anything bad about them.

I'm thinking a 2X or 4X scope is about all I need for the 22. And maybe just a 2X for centerfire.

Jerry

Powderpacker
10-18-2006, 09:05 AM
A Contender is a great choice for Handgun Silhouette. One frame and an older 10" barrel will work for several classes in small bore (look for a "match grade" barrel). If you decide you like the game you can add a 14" or 15" barrel and you'll be set for all small bore classes ( you'll need a scope for some classes). Add a barrel for field pistol and maybe other barrels for big bore. Hard to beat the versatility for the price.

Jon K
10-18-2006, 09:24 AM
Lefty red,

You can get NIB 10 inch T/C Contender/G2 barrels from Ed's Contenders in OK.
http://www.edstc.com
He has .22 10 inch Match Chamber Barrel in stock, and his prices are fair. He as new and used T/C barrels, and takes trades. Call him if you don't see it listed online. He is easy to deal with.

Hope this helps,
Jon

lefty_red
10-18-2006, 09:32 AM
I can see this is going to be TOO EASY!

Thanks guys!

BTW, is there anything wrong with getting the older Contender over the newer Encore?

Jerry

lefty_red
10-18-2006, 09:34 AM
What's the "best" calibers to start with?

I'm looking at 22lr, 22Hornet, and 357mag.

Jerry

Powderpacker
10-18-2006, 10:04 AM
I think you'll like the .357 . I have a 686 , 8 3/8 barrel, trick trigger, etc. and it's a real sweetheart but the Contender 10" .357 is consistently more accurate with a variety of loads.

Powderpacker
10-18-2006, 10:14 AM
BTW, is there anything wrong with getting the older Contender over the newer Encore?

Jerry[/QUOTE]

Actually, the older Contender is preferable to both the Encore and the G2 Contender for silhouette because you can do your own trigger work and dial your trigger in to exactly the 'feel' you prefer. I haven't had much luck changing my Encore trigger pulls and I think the G2 is the same format.

7br
10-18-2006, 10:27 AM
The encore will not shoot smallbore without a custom barrel. Contender won't handle as much pressure. One of those trade offs in life.

G2/Encore are easier to open than the older contenders. If you have young kids, this would be a consideration. The Older contenders are capable of having a very good trigger.

Mike Bellm's website is suppose to have directions for tuning both styles of triggers.

lefty_red
10-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Is there a website or can someone give me a breif discription of the differeances in the Contender, G2, and the Encore?

Jerry

Jon K
10-19-2006, 01:34 AM
lefty red,

Here is about the simplest way I know to explain it:

1. The Contender is no longer in production.

2. The G2 is the next generation of the Contender, but different looks and component parts, easier to break open. Uses the same barrels as the Contender(same fit). The stocks DO NOT INTERCHANGE W/CONTENDER.

3. The Encore is the same design as the G2, but larger, heavier frame, and will accomodate larger clibers than the Contender/G2.

Visit your local dealer and ask to see both G2 & Encore, the differences are quite apparent.

Hope this helps,

Jon
:castmine:

D.Mack
10-19-2006, 02:36 AM
Lefty... two points
1 The contenders have a set trigger, so they can be "adjusted" fairly easily, for what ever type of release you want. the G2 and encore have a straight sear to hammer contact so a really good trigger should be done by someone who knows what they are doing. there are several styles of older contenders, the first ones had a pivit pin to open the action in the front of the trigger gaurd. The later "easy opening" ones the pivot pin was moved to the center, just above the trigger. both types used slightly different trigger and set parts, but otherparts are interchangable. Don't ask which is best, I like the older one, but most people prefer the easy opening models.
2.....calibers to start with... the two most useful are the 22 and 357. you can use the 22 in both smallbore and hunter pistol( yeah you will lose about half of the rams you hit) but you will make up for it on the other targets. With the 357 you can shoot both hunter pistol and Long range, the 357 is about minimun, for full size long range, but again you wont be missing the closer animal because your using too much gun. There is always the open sight class, so you wont need a scope to start with.
3... What part of Ca are you in, as there is a limited number of ranges shooting sillouette on a regular basis, and the closest range might determine the type or caliber of gun most suited. Any way just take what you got and try it, you'll have fun,get some practice, and usually some one will say "here give this a try" and you'll get to try several optionn before you spend your money. DM Yeah I know that was 3, But I never could count.

lefty_red
10-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks John, but the reason I'm asking is cause I was only able to locate one new G2 and its $525! Its about an hour away, but that's it from around here.

D Mack, I thank you for your invite, but I'm in ILLINOIS! CA is the only place that makes IL look good on gun laws! LOL But, if I ever make it out that way....

Jerry

D.Mack
10-19-2006, 10:25 PM
Lefty... sorry about that, I looked up and saw where JON k was from, and confused his and your locations. But the advice still stands, take your 686 and try it, some one at the matches might give you a lead, or have just what you want, laying unused on a shelf at home. Its not important to do well at the matches, just have fun and learn the basics before you spend your money on the wrong gun or equiptment. DM

BeeMan
10-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Lefty,

I used a Contender with a 10 inch 357 for everything but revolver back in the mid 80s. Had a lot of fun and never felt that the T/C held me back. The RCBS 180 SIL helped keep costs down, which it sounds like is a consideration. Wish I had that T/C back...

BeeMan

lefty_red
10-20-2006, 11:35 PM
I called around and found out that the three ranges in my area no longer shoot silhouette. PNe is basically a black powder, one is kindof LEO, and the last one went to shooting smallbore rifles. I called allot of folks and they said they use to shoot alot of metallic, but they just quit!

I'm still going to get my "2nd love", but it will just be after my Ist one gets out of layaway. Plus, I have use of the older targets and I've got some scaled down targets for shorter ranges.

Lefty