PDA

View Full Version : turk mauser

hawken54
10-17-2006, 09:17 PM
I have a turk mauser that is dated 1941. It looks like a longer barreled 98 or a model 24. My question is... why does the turk have such a lesser value than a 98?

joatmon
10-17-2006, 10:34 PM
Is your's a K Kale? I like em just fine but alot have been rode hard and put up wet, alot have small ring barrels and the machineing is not as nice as some others.

mag_01
10-17-2006, 11:07 PM
:coffee: ---I like my Turk Mauser but it has been used no doubt about it---long rifle a little more to handle than the short ones---Shoots good likes Cast Boolits and 2400----I never seem to get the black out of the bore like other rifles but as long as it shoots---Thats all I need.---Was inexpensive less than 60 bucks at SOG Inc.

Buckshot
10-26-2006, 04:07 AM
...............Turks were just kind of scroungy looking as a lot I suspect. Possibly also nobody really expected much from a Turkish milsurp. However there were many diamonds amonge the piles. Even cleaning out a whole lot of Turkish real estate that had settled through the cracks could provide a very nice shooter. Buying my first Turk also prompted me to buy a .325" lube size die as I just figured the barrels would be worn out crap.

How surprised I was to find a nice sharp barrel (real good lands, a bit dark in the grooves) and I had to size the slugs to .323" to get them to chamber. I eventually ended up with 2 M38's, a M38/46 (kind of a Turkish K98), and a M88/14/35. That later is a SUPER shooter.

http://www.fototime.com/CDBFBF007F1D86B/standard.jpg

The M88/14/35

http://www.fototime.com/4081B75BF8E1589/standard.jpg

Up top the M88, next is the Imperial M38, then the M38/46 and the bottom is the M38 I turned into a kind of carbine.

If your rifles reciever has K.Kale marked along with some others, it was an action built in Turky at their arsenal in Ankara. This lokks like a large ring Mauser but actually uses a small ring barrel shank. If the reciever is marked T.C, then ASFA, then Ankara (no K. Kale) it is a true large ring Mauser. Most likely an Imperial German or Czech BRNO made action.

.................Buckshot