PDA

View Full Version : Sizinf 45-70 cases question

Jeffery8mm
12-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Do any of you NOT size your 45-70 cases after firing light loads in them, ie, 12 gr of Unique??
I fired these yesterday and tried a boolit in the fired cases, fits the case with a little bit of tension. The cases will fit back in the chamber great. I figure to load these with a decent crimp. They rifle is a 22" NEF 45-70

Never pondered this. Always FL sized them, cause that is what you are "supposed" to do.
I appreciate any and all comments!!
Jeff

JSnover
12-13-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't size mine for light loads. Everything fits nice, saves me a step.

Maven
12-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Jeff, In theory, you shouldn't have to resize them at all. However, since my rifle is a Marlin #336, I have to resize them somewhat to get them to chamber without too much difficulty. You can either turn your FL die out far enough so that you resize only the first ~3/4" of the fired cases or use a Lee Loader to neck size them, which does about the same thing. In either instance you'll need to de-cap separately. With light loads in the Marlin, I can partially neck size or neck size via the Lee Loader 5 or 6 times before chambering becomes too difficult. A trip through the FL sizer fixes that quickly enough.

Jim
12-13-2010, 10:25 PM
I have two .45-70 sizing dies. One is a F/L, the other WAS a F/L. I lapped it out to a neck sizer.