PDA

View Full Version : Sentimental Lead

2wheelDuke
12-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Does anyone else have lead that they'd only melt down as a last resort in a doomsday type situation?

This sits in a drawer in my dad's garage.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n73/2wheelduke/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG00015-20101126-2103.jpg

There's just no way I could melt that down unless I had no other lead at all, and really needed to make up some boolits.

Springfield
12-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Seems to me you could sell that for WAY more than it's lead value and buy some other lead with the proceeds.

WILCO
12-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Does anyone else have lead that they'd only melt down as a last resort in a doomsday type situation?

I do. I'll have to snap a pic.

Texasflyboy
12-13-2010, 01:19 PM

Well, less than a mile from the White House there are two full sized bars of Linotype across the street from where my wife works. Just hanging there for all the world to see. 99.999% of the people that see them have no idea what they are and what they were used for.

Some days when I pick her up I have to wait a bit and I am always tempted to replace the real bars with balsa wood facsimile's. If TEOTWAKI occurs, I plan to abscond with those bars as I head West.

:lovebooli

cajun shooter
12-13-2010, 01:20 PM
It seems that you have seen the movie the Unforgiven with Burt Lancaster and Audie Murphy or the Patriots with Mel Gibson. They both melt down lead toy soldiers to make bullets. None of us could do that today as lead may do serious damage to a child. But if we have a doomsday in our modern world I think that only a house of lead will help. Of course you will never be able to go outdoors again. I think I would rather stand with my doors open than to live in what is left.

Charlie Two Tracks
12-14-2010, 09:03 PM
That's the way to do it cajun chooter! What was that old movie where the old cowboy rode the A bomb like a bronco as it fell on Russia? At least I thin it was Russia.
I don't have any sentimental lead. If I did, it would have to be something real bad to get rid of it.

lwknight
12-14-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm not sentimental. I'd just melt it.

bigjake
12-15-2010, 12:47 AM
it depends on how much it weighs. Also, if that thing was presented to your father or had his name on it then i'd keep it, but otherwise it goes into the pot. :-)

Daddyfixit
12-15-2010, 01:00 AM
That's the way to do it cajun chooter! What was that old movie where the old cowboy rode the A bomb like a bronco as it fell on Russia? At least I thin it was Russia.
I don't have any sentimental lead. If I did, it would have to be something real bad to get rid of it.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
RIP Slim Pickens

Echo
12-16-2010, 12:24 AM
RIP Slim Pickens

Slim was a real-life cowboy who rode in rodeos between takes. I remember seeing him in a shoot-em-up with John Wayne. They were waiting for the rustlers to attack, and Slim was stuffing cartridges in his mouth, as it is easier to reload from the mouth rather than from the belt loops. Then when the battle started, there was Slim standing up in the stirrups while riding full speed, shooting at the bad guys - a not-easily done stunt.

waksupi
12-16-2010, 02:14 AM
Slim was a real-life cowboy who rode in rodeos between takes. I remember seeing him in a shoot-em-up with John Wayne. They were waiting for the rustlers to attack, and Slim was stuffing cartridges in his mouth, as it is easier to reload from the mouth rather than from the belt loops. Then when the battle started, there was Slim standing up in the stirrups while riding full speed, shooting at the bad guys - a not-easily done stunt.

Slim was a member of our mountain man association, and some of our members had rodeo'd with him over the years. His ashes were spread in the Wind River Range, delivered on horseback.

a.squibload
12-19-2010, 04:03 PM
In the movie the bomb was stuck, he was sitting on it trying to kick it loose.
When it dropped he rode it down, hollerin' and wavin' his hat like ridin' a bronco.
Good stuff.

Pepe Ray
12-19-2010, 11:39 PM
I thought I'd seen all of the Duke's movies but it seems I missed that one.
Do you recall the title?
Pepe Ray

alamogunr
12-20-2010, 01:04 AM
RIP Slim Pickens

Boy! You guys are old. I saw that movie in 1963 when I was in college. Walked to the theater in the rain because I didn't have a car and was going stir crazy in the house I roomed in.

The movie was memorable as was the walk in the rain.

John
W.TN

Daddyfixit
12-20-2010, 02:05 AM
RIP Slim Pickens

" You can't fight in here....This is a War Room!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlSQAZEp3PA

frkelly74
12-21-2010, 04:10 PM
" Now you'll have to answer to The Coca Cola Company" I love it, Wifey hates it.

mroliver77
12-25-2010, 02:19 PM
I have a lead dog that is either a book end or a door stop. My uncle that was killed just after graduation way back in the 50's cast it for his Ma, my Granny, if I remember correctly. It weighs a few lbs but would be sacrificed to whack commies(or zombies) if needed.
Jay