PDA

View Full Version : G2 Contender ?

missionary5155
12-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Good morning
Years ago I sold off my Contenders.
So what is the difference between the G2 and a regular frame ?
Can the G2 Barrels be used on a regular frame ?
I ask as I am looking to buy a 41 mag 14" G2 barrel and turn it into a real 41.
Thanks !!

Hickory
12-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Short explanation; Stronger frame.

2shot
12-13-2010, 10:23 AM
My understanding is that the new G2 barrels can be used on the older Contender frames and I hope it's true because I have 3 older Contender frames and I love them. And I believe they have done away with the firingpin that you had to flip from rimfire to centerfire but I'm not sure because I have not seen the new G2 in person.

2shot

Hickory
12-13-2010, 01:36 PM
From T/C website.

InterchangeabilityMaintaining the same barrel interchangeability, the same time-proven long range accuracy, and the same adaptability of converting to rim fire or center fire, the new G2 Contender® has added some features which make it even more user friendly in the field. In addition, the grip, frame, and forend have been profiled and sculpted for a more modern and streamlined appearance. Size and weight remained approximately the same, adding less than 1/10th of a pound to the frame assembly.

VersatilityThe Versatility of the G2 Contender® is unmatched by any other handgun in the world. From plinking and small game hunting with rimfire cartridges, to varmint and big game hunting with centerfire rifle cartridges, the G2 Contender will continue to be the handgun of choice for those that pride themselves in wanting only the best.

New Features of the G2 Contender®•Easier to open.
•More clearance between the grip and the trigger guard. New ergonomic grip.
•Incorporates a Patented automatic hammer block safety with built-in interlock. (patent # 5,680,722)
•Allows shooters to cock the hammer, lower it, and re-cock it without the need to break the action open again.

G2 Contender® Compatibility with Old-Style Contenders

The G2 Contender frame will accept all Contender barrels and their corresponding forends (except Herrett forend). The G2 frame will not accept old-style grips because of the change in grip angle. Blued or stainless barrels are readily interchangeable.

NoZombies
12-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Basically, almost everything interchanges, except some of the wood. the contender (G2) still has the RF firing pin, the encore is the one lacking it.

The "Armour alloy" stuff has never exactly been interchangeable.

2shot
12-13-2010, 03:42 PM
the contender (G2) still has the RF firing pin, the encore is the one lacking it.

Thank you for correcting this I wasn't sure but now that you mentioned the Encore I remember. You are right!

missionary5155
12-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Thanks everyone ! That clears up a bunch.

Ferdinand
12-13-2010, 11:54 PM
Barrels are interchangeable and the current ones are pretty much the same as old ones. The only issue that I've had with pre-G2 barrels on my G2 frame is the the locking lugs - one-piece vs. two-piece/split type. I've had to swap out single lugs in order to make older tubes work on my frame.

The trigger on the G2 from the factory is typically heavy/lawyer-proof and isn't adjustable with factory installed screw adjustments. However, a spring kit from Mike Bellm and little polishing and the G2 is good to go.

Beerd
12-14-2010, 10:33 AM
"Allows shooters to cock the hammer, lower it, and re-cock it without the need to break the action open again."

The big improvement in my mind.

Quigley284
12-14-2010, 10:54 PM
The new trigger is a huge let down. The new improvements aren't enough for me. I had a G2 just long enough to try the new trigger and sold it. Mike

45r
12-18-2010, 03:00 PM
I think the older frames are better mainly because of their triggers,if you get a new G2 foreend for the older frame you have to notch out the rear to clear the longer frame when opening it.You can recock the older frames by sqeezing the finger lever a tad and the hammer will cock after let down.I wish they stayed with the old frame,they have the finest triggers rivaled only by a Custom shop S&W revolver IMHO.T/C doesn't even put the set screw on the new frames,I've pretty much given up on new stuff,the beancounters have taken over and profits for investers has taken priority over quality and forget about a decent trigger.I got a SS frame before they went to the G2 and glad I did.Wish I would have gotten more.

357Ruger
12-19-2010, 08:26 AM
I think the older frames are better mainly because of their triggers,if you get a new G2 foreend for the older frame you have to notch out the rear to clear the longer frame when opening it.You can recock the older frames by sqeezing the finger lever a tad and the hammer will cock after let down.I wish they stayed with the old frame,they have the finest triggers rivaled only by a Custom shop S&W revolver IMHO.T/C doesn't even put the set screw on the new frames,I've pretty much given up on new stuff,the beancounters have taken over and profits for investers has taken priority over quality and forget about a decent trigger.I got a SS frame before they went to the G2 and glad I did.Wish I would have gotten more.

Your feelings mirror mine. It is some what depressing to watch what beancounters and trial lawyers are doing to our once great firearms makers. Glad I have a bunch of older guns.

We can only hope it will turn around but that is probably a pipe dream.

dale2242
12-19-2010, 09:23 AM
I sent an old Contender frame back to TC recently for a complete rebuild. They did so at no charge. When I got the frame back, the trigger was unbearable. It was rough and tough,. Read lawyer proof here. For $40 a had my smith work it down to a wonderful 2# slick pull. I wouldn`t recommend that light of pull for the average shooter, BTW.
I am an avid Contender fan. All factory Contender triggers need work, IMO...dale

fourarmed
12-28-2010, 02:20 AM
The G2 is a little easier to cock/open than the Contender. The G2 trigger construction is about like the Encore. In other words, it is very poor, and not as easy to work on as the Contender. It can be done, but IMO the only reason to pick the G2 over an original Contender is if you are getting it for someone who does not have the hand strength to cock a Contender.