PDA

View Full Version : My grandmother

Ivantherussian03
12-12-2010, 11:57 PM
I was talking with my dad just now on the phone. He got a call on his other phone..........my grandmother passed away. She was admitted yesterday to the hospitol and they made her comfortable.

I got some thinking to do now.

My grandmother was not nicest person I ever knew, not even close. She never seemed very grandmother like. She never made us grand kids cookies, or cake; She never made us feel we were special. My sisters had not seen her in over a decade, anyway. She would always talk about her other grand kids. She picked on mom alot, and got my dad's sisters to go along.

I was closest to her. I listened to her stories about the Depression and World War II. I heard lots of stories when I was a kid. I always admired my grandparents....they lived a simple life. They were avid gardeners, and grew a large percentage of their food. They were frugal, watching sales, and shopping 2nd hand stores. Living cheaply was always their goal; their vacations always involved hunting and fishing. They fished for salmon at Winchester Bay for the whole month of June. They hunted elk and mule deer in Blue Mountains of Oregon.

I am not really sad. She had a good life. She lived 85 years or so. She raised her kids.

She grew up in log cabin during the depression. Her dad worked at the lumber camp in Wendling till he fell under a rail car headed up to the logging site. He lost one leg. Her mother left the family then. Behind the cabin was a spring house in the creek. They had a garden.....her grandfather would say to her " I want those cucumbers standing in water." The family traveled alot around the valley working the harvast; the valley was more agricultural then. When the war came......they headed to Portland to work in the shipyards. I heard lots of these stories growing up.

I came to realize a few years my relationship with went up and down over the years with her. I knew she made a big impact on my life. I drank a lot of coffee with her. I visited her as often as I could. Unlike my sisters I accepted her as she was.

hmmm.... well....I got some thinking to do. :-|

rattletrap1970
12-13-2010, 12:03 AM
Sounds like you and I had Grandmothers cut from the same cloth. Mine is still around.. Outlived my Dad. Ain't that a bitch. I don't talk to mine, she moved to Texas to be with the side of the family she actually liked. And when she kicks... Oh well..

If there was any part of you that mourns your Grandmother. My condolences for that part.

My grandmother was not nicest person I ever knew, not even close. She never seemed very grandmother like. She never made us grand kids cookies, or cake; She never made us feel we were special. My sisters had not seen her in over a decade, anyway. She would always talk about her other grand kids. She picked on mom alot, and got my dad's sisters to go along.

Heavy lead
12-13-2010, 12:07 AM
May she rest in peace Ivan, glad to hear you saw her when you could. It's good to learn from our elders, they have a lot of insight.

Ivantherussian03
12-15-2010, 01:47 AM
I loved my grandmother. Of all her grand kids, I think I saw her the most. I dont think they feared my visits.........I never asked them for money, or anything else...unlike other people.

I was going to go on bereavment leave, but my wife does not have any left.

I found out the funeral wont be till after Xmas now. So there is no rush; I was planning to visit for Xmas.

The bottom line is this....my grandmother lived 85 years. I should hope to live that long. lol

Bret4207
12-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Cherish the good memories and try and left the bad fade. No one is perfect in this world. My condolences on your loss.

MT Gianni
12-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Sorry to hear that Ivan. Loved or tolerated we all leave a space when we are gone. As has been saiid, cherish the good times.

Ivantherussian03
12-17-2010, 01:49 AM
Lucky...I made the choice to stay here, and not leave early. I had a former client come to me in great distress. He graduated 5 years ago. His eyes were red, and he was literally crying, about his problems. He is very disappointed in how his life has turned out. This is so out of the norm for behavior.........it was significant. I fear this young person might do something drastic, and irreversible. Plus, I have seen this before. Suicide among young people in Alaska's villages in the extremely high, like 3 times the national average. Myself and another professional spent an hour of our time after work talking with his person.

Alot times I question why I do this work........but that was not today. I am glad to help him, and get him straight. He would not have asked just anyone for help. It will be a project, well make it right.

crazy mark
12-26-2010, 11:31 PM
Ivan,
I hunt in the Wendling area sometimes. All the railroad tracks are gone. My condolences on your loss. It's amazing what happens in families sometimes. My step-Grandfather treated my Mom like dirt until he needed her when his second wife died and nobody wanted the mean old coot. Mark

fatnhappy
12-28-2010, 03:25 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss Ivan.

Ivantherussian03
01-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Buried my grandmother 2 days after Christmas. It was a large gathering. She is buried up on the hill behind her house, where she would walk with us. It was rainy and foggy up on the hill. I saw family I had not seen in years. People spoke a few words, shared memories

Kinda fitting it was, being a six generation Oregonian, the heavy rain, and the fog. The tall Douglas Fir trees around the property I stood there with my family in my worn Filson Shelter Cloth rain coat. My cousins, whom I have not seen much of in 20 years, greeted me. Alot people were there, most of whom, I did not know. I wondered how they knew her. Most of them were great grand kids, but some were not. They could not have known her too well.

I went up to her house afterwords, walked around the yard. I noticed how the small the house seemed.

Otony
01-21-2011, 12:58 AM
God bless her, Ivan, and you for keeping her memory strong. Reading your words I could see her in my mind's eye so easily, which shows me how much you cared for her, even if she was a bit "difficult".

Your description of her reminded me a great deal of my father. We lost him four years ago, he would have been 85 that year. He had a good run, but suffered quite a bit towards the end. Sad to watch, much better to remember him in his garden amongst the fava beans, or showing us his tomatoes and lemons. I miss him, watrs and all, and your post brought that back to mind.

Those walks in the yard can do quite a bit of healing......