PDA

View Full Version : newbie hardness question

wingnut49b
12-12-2010, 08:40 PM
I hope I'm not irritating with dumb questions... Let me know if I have this right, please.

The only thing that really matters in alloys is hardness. Antimony content will influence how well heat treatment works, which doesn't matter a lot for the SWC's I'm shooting out of a 1911.

If I find 'mystery ingots' at the scrap yard, and they are hard enough, I'm good to use them...right?

Andy

sqlbullet
12-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Maybe.

Hardness is not the only thing that matters in the alloy. Ductility, castability and age stability are issues as well. Extremely hard bullets are not useful if they have a small elastic range. They may lead, despite being hard, and won't deliver good terminal performance if used for hunting.

Now, with regard to your mystery ingots....most of us here have a try it and see attitude. This is a largely empirical process. If they make bullets that meet your accuracy requirement, don't lead a great deal, and meet your needs in terminal performance, then they are idea for you.

I never meddle with an alloy to make it into something else just because. I always cast and try some bullets, then identify the specific issues I may have and address them. Usually, I am happy enough with the results since I just punch paper for fun.

RobS
12-13-2010, 02:08 AM
If you are reloading for a 45 acp 1911 it will be easier since this caliber is one that is very forgiving to cast for. Scrap yard alloy will work fine providing it isn't too soft. I doubt you'll find lino without you knowing it so don't think you'll get into the too hard alloy category. A lead tester would help with mystery scrap lead but if you don't have one then I say if you can seat the bullet without it swagging down in the case and you can dent it with your finger nail then you're probably good to go for 45 auto pressures.

wingnut49b
12-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Thanks guys. I'm liking that I can learn to cast for 45 just because it is so much easier.

This fall I was nervous to buy ingot that were supposed to be ww, but I couldn't tell. Same as raw WW, but I didn't buy the ingots. Probably should have bought them and a tester... Live and learn.

Andy