PDA

View Full Version : Williams FP for Rossi

AlaskaMike
10-17-2006, 05:08 PM
I just bought a Rossi in .44 mag (looks like a '92 clone maybe? This is my first lever gun, so I'm not too sure...). I'd like to put a Williams FP receiver peep sight on it, but when I look at Midway I don't see one specifically labelled as being for the Rossi. Will one for the 92 or 94 work?

Mike

KCSO
10-17-2006, 05:16 PM
92-94 will work fine, but you may have to drill and tap 2 holes.

Dan in Wa
10-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Have the same rifle.....its not drilled or tapped.
Have you shot it yet? Have shot .44 mags pistols for many yearsand recoil has not been a factor.
That little rifle has purpled my shoulder with heavy loads.
But it is fun to shoot just the same.

MT Gianni
10-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Dan, I bought a leather lace up recoil pad for mine after it turned my shoulder, then my upper arm blue when I moved it around searching for the right spot to shoot it from. $30 bucks or so from Cabelas it was money well spent. I pull it after every shooting session as i have heard they can stain a stock if left on or if moisture gets under it. Gianni.

Old Ironsights
10-19-2006, 09:27 AM
The Rossi 92 clones need to be D&T for the FP. The key is to park the D&T sites with the elevation set right on the sight.

I don't remember exactly how it is done though.

PM steveb. I think he did his own Rossis.

TedH
10-20-2006, 09:07 PM
The Williams 94-36 is what you want for the Rossi. I just put one on my Rossi 357. Here is a link to an excellent how-to article by Marshall Stanton over on Beartooth Bullets.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tips/index.htm

Ed Barrett
10-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Most of the octagon barreled guns from Puma/Rossi are drilled and tapped for tang sights. I always liked the tang sight better than the reciever sight. On the round barreled models you can have the tang drilled and tapped. The tang sights are available at most of the big dealers.

AlaskaMike
10-29-2006, 04:58 PM
That's a great article Ted. I doubt I'll try doing this myself though. I know a good gunsmith and I'll just have him do it.

Dan, the first time I shot this rifle with full power loads, I bruised the heck out of my shoulder! I bought a cheap soft slip-on recoil pad and it is MUCH more comfortable to shoot now. I also discovered that full power loads using plain or bevel base bullets is a recipe for inaccuracy. My rifle really likes gas-checked 250 grain SWCs over 23.5 grains of IMR 4227. This gives me better accuracy at 100 yards than I was getting at 25 yards using bevel based 240 grain Lasercast SWCs.

Now that I've found an accurate load I've discovered that I like the Williams peep sight on my grandpa's old '03A3 hunting rifle much better than the stock sight on the Rossi.

Mike

Poohgyrr
11-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Most of the octagon barreled guns from Puma/Rossi are drilled and tapped for tang sights.

For what it's worth, I put the tang sight from Nate on my octagon EMF & it is doing well for me. Windage and elevation adjustable, and it looks good too.

:drinks:

nelsonted1
11-17-2006, 08:35 PM
I shot mine in .44 special loads. My nephew told me after listening to me resonding to every shot I made with "I don't think cowboys hollered OW! everytime they took a shot at Indians." The curved baseplate was awefull! I bought a second stock, took off the baseplate, pounded it flat on the anvil and filled the gap with epoxy and wood. Once the baseplate was flat I could handle shooting the rifle.

versifier
11-17-2006, 10:28 PM
While he d&t's it, have him put a recoil pad on it. It's not like you're bubba-izing a vintage Winchester, we're talking about a Rossi clone. You will get 100% more enjoyment out of it and will likely shoot it much more often, too.

MT Gianni
11-17-2006, 11:58 PM
I bought a lace up pad for my 44 and it makes a world of difference. I just remove it when I am done shooting to keep from staining the wood. gianni.