PDA

View Full Version : Yes, .....I'm really cheap!

klcarroll
12-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Hi

I need a 13/16"-18 NS Plug Tap for a custom project. McMaster-Carr has it, but they want $53 for it!

.......That price makes me break out in hives.:groner:

I will probably only need this guy once: ....Does anybody know of an affordable source for NS taps and dies????

Kent

jhrosier
12-12-2010, 02:27 PM
is this the one?

http://www.opentip.com/Tools-Auto-Industrial/Michigan-Drill-Hs-Special-Thread-Tapbottoming-p-1384526.html

klcarroll
12-12-2010, 03:03 PM
@jhrosier

YESSS!!!! ........That's the ticket!!

Thank you VERY much!!

Kent

deltaenterprizes
12-12-2010, 04:38 PM
I hope they don't send you the one in the pic it is a starting tap. Be careful, some cheap taps and dies are made to restore existing threads not cut new threads. What material are you wanting to thread?

klcarroll
12-12-2010, 05:13 PM
I hope they don't send you the one in the pic it is a starting tap. Be careful, some cheap taps and dies are made to restore existing threads not cut new threads. What material are you wanting to thread?

I am looking to cut new threads in 12L14 steel.

You're quite right; ......a "maintenance tap" is not what I want!

Kent

kawalekm
12-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Hi KLC
You might want to try wandering through your local flea market on a Saturday morning. Just about every one I've ever attended has someone selling taps/dies/drill bits. You might find one there that you pay a dollar for.
Michael

Daniel Boone
12-14-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm sorry to say this - and sound like Mr. Negativity - but a 13/16 tap is not a common size.

If it was 1/2, 5/8 or 3/4 or even a 1-8 I would say yes.
I have worked in a machine shop for 7 years and I have never seen a 13/16 tap.

Most cheap hand tools can be had from Enco Mfg.

http://www.imperialinc.com/pdf/I_Tap&DieChart.pdf

leftiye
12-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Lossa and lossa machine tools and tooling on eVil bAy. I know thas a bad words, but you'll be amazinged! (good prices is the best part)

uscra112
12-19-2010, 04:35 PM
Try Manhattan Supply Corp.

www.mscdirect.com

Years ago I needed an odd tap like that; I got it from J&L Industrial Supply near Detroit. They had an outfit in Poland that would make almost anything. Prices were reasonable, but you had to wait a few weeks. J&L has been bought by MSC, and I want to think that they can still come through for you.

rtracy2001
12-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Try Manhattan Supply Corp.

www.mscdirect.com

Years ago I needed an odd tap like that; I got it from J&L Industrial Supply near Detroit. They had an outfit in Poland that would make almost anything. Prices were reasonable, but you had to wait a few weeks. J&L has been bought by MSC, and I want to think that they can still come through for you.

The outfit I work for is a government contractor, and a few years ago MSC sued the place because everyone was specifying McMaster Carr part numbers on drawings etc. Well as a result, we now need special permission to buy from McMaster (if over a certain $$), and MSC gives us a 10% discount on every purchase (supposedly to sweeten the deal). So it goes like this:

1. Spec Part
2. Look up prices, McMaster's price is over the threshold.
3. Buy part from MSC for 15% more than McMaster
4. MSC gives a 10% discount on part price.
5. Part arrives, no certs/is not as specified and is unuseable.
6. Costs more than the part is worth to ship back to MSC (stupid regulations)
7. Spend 3 days getting approval to buy correct part from McMaster.
8. Buy part from McMaster = back to work.
9. throw part from MSC away.

I don't really like MSC much.

nanuk
12-22-2010, 10:01 PM
1. Spec Part
2. Look up prices, McMaster's price is over the threshold.
3. Buy part from MSC for 15% more than McMaster
4. MSC gives a 10% discount on part price.
5. Part arrives, no certs/is not as specified and is unuseable.
6. Costs more than the part is worth to ship back to MSC (stupid regulations)
7. Spend 3 days getting approval to buy correct part from McMaster.
8. Buy part from McMaster = back to work.
9. throw part from MSC away.

I don't really like MSC much.

Ah... Government efficiency!
[smilie=b:

Houndog
12-22-2010, 10:19 PM
I've quit dealing with MSC! Outrageous prices, questionable quality and sky high shipping. I try to buy everything from Travers Tool in South Carolina. They are first class folks in my book and almost everything I order from them is on the doorstep the next day.

bohica2xo
12-29-2010, 02:37 AM
Those dirty SOB's at MSC killed J&L. A bad thing there. MSC has Enco quality at McMaster prices - and DMV service too!

I will do what I can to avoid any MSC purchase. KSC Direct is still in business, as is Reid Supply. Both good companies for lots of stuff.

I also like Wholesale Tool (http://www.wttool.com/). They have been good to deal with, and stock things like 6-48 & 8-40 tap sets.

That 13/16 -18 tap? Not common at all. Either single point it, thread mill it - or buy the tap from McMaster-Carr.

B.

elk hunter
12-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Hi

I need a 13/16"-18 NS Plug Tap for a custom project. McMaster-Carr has it, but they want $53 for it!

Kent

If you have a lathe and mill or lathe and milling attachment or access to them, make the tap. It isn't all that difficult.

Calamity Jake
12-29-2010, 11:46 AM
Yap the 13/16-18 tap is listed as a special tap and won't be cheap.
Currant MSC $66