PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes Ebay baffles me

Pressman
12-12-2010, 01:24 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=300501121985&si=abqvOGFVsFA1hTj7wtljczR6DUg%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AEOIBSA%3AUS%3A1123

No bragging, just wondering. I just won this press. With its condition, the very descriptive write-up,all the shellholders, primer catcher and instructions I figured it would go over $50.00. Nope, only two bidders and whom ever did not want it very badly.

I have picked up a couple of treasures in the past year due to the owners not posting clear pictures or descriptions. This is a first for me. Merry Christmas to me I guess.

Ken

flashhole
12-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Congrats. I had that one on my watch list. I'm sure it's a great press. Do you like the tilt back design?

klcarroll
12-12-2010, 01:57 PM
I recently had a similar experience! .......For some reason the lot I was bidding on was almost ignored by the audience, and I ended up paying 1/3 of what I expected to pay for three very nice presses!

.......Of course, I realize that the next time I want something, they will bid it up past "New Retail"! (LOL!)

If nothing else, the "goings on" over on Ebay are fun to watch!

Kent

Kevin Rohrer
12-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Take into consideration the fact that few people have ever heard of Echo, and that they would rather have a new, lower quality press on their bench than something old but of higher quality. Ignorance is bliss for those who are informed. [smilie=p:

mooman76
12-12-2010, 03:22 PM
I think honest people on ebay scare off the bidders sometimes. People do tend to exagerate. I haven't did any ebay stuff lately but I brouse occationally. Sometimes you find a rare good deal. I got a few good deals in the bast when someone would be honest and say the mould had some rust or had some signs of ware and to find out they weren't bad at all.

12-12-2010, 03:28 PM
that is a great deal, Ebay hasn't shown me any treasures but i do look sometimes when i have down time at work.

Kevin Rohrer
12-12-2010, 03:35 PM
That and people are wise not to bid unless they are very familiar with the item and can tell from pictures whether it is complete and in good working order. Recently I saw a Lachmiller primer tool like mine that was missing it's primer tube. I emailed the seller informing him of the deficiency. He didn't correct the ad.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0398.jpg

Wayne Smith
12-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Every once in a while you can find a deal. Earlier I picked up a Lyman 57 Target for the Mauser for -- $29.00! From the picture it looked like it had a bit of rust. It turned out that most of it was just dust. It's on Arisaka99's Arisaka 99 now.

Ilwil
12-12-2010, 06:17 PM
I agree, the deals are fewer and farther between. My impression is that overseas buyers will really run the prices up if the seller is agreeable to international sales. No knock on them; this stuff is scarce and pretty dear in their countries. I find the best deals are "buy it now" types, where the seller is running a short-duration ad, and wants to score some $. That's how I got my Redding Turret Press in virtual new condition for $180.00 (and free shipping!)

jimkim
12-12-2010, 06:44 PM
At first I thought this was going to be about the "Pet Loads" and Lee reloading book that sold for $27.00 yesterday, or maybe that copy of Handbook for shooters & reloaders by P.O. Ackley that sold for $36.00. I've seen several deals this month, but I usually search for "odd brands" like Ohaus, Thompson, Lachmiller, Herters, Pacific, Ideal, or C H.

Shooter6br
12-12-2010, 07:28 PM
I always find the price used sometimes is more than new............

1hole
12-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Kevin has it right; people with little knowledge and experiece not only stick to well known brands but often pay more than new prices and then have to pay high shipping as well! In that instance, ignorance is bliss...for the ignorant! But then none of us were born experts, we had to work our way into it! ;)

Roundnoser
12-12-2010, 08:59 PM
I sold a nice condition CH 111 press on E-bay in the summer. I had purchased it from a friend for 50 bucks, and after a few months, I decided I didn't really want it. I put it on e-bay with a 49.00 start price and 3 pics...also included a couple of shell holders. Figured I'd make maybe 25 dollars on it. I about passed out when I saw the winning bid -- 180 bucks! Crazy!!!

fatnhappy
12-12-2010, 09:12 PM
I lucked into a couple ebay deals, notably a NIB SC 311291 from the 60's based on the packaging. It truly was NIB, for $27 shipped. It cast like a dream too. I had it hollowpointed.
The other excellent deal was a copy of Harrison's cast bullets with the supplements. It had a "buy it now" price of $10.

emorris
12-12-2010, 10:30 PM
My recent ebay win was a rcbs 5-0-5 powder scale. won it for 15.06 plus reasonable shipping costs. I often look for the deal of the day,week,month to add to my collection of things that i think that i need. I have also had some exoierence selling items. For some reason it seems that lee items sell for almost to new prices. I have sold several lee molds on ebay that i bought on sale from midway and actually made a profit. I am in the process of switching over from lee equipment to hornady. not that i dont like the lees because i have loaded many rounds with then and they work good. I just want to try somthing different and it seems that lee equipment will rust at the first chance if i dont soak them in oil due to its poor finish. I shop at gunbroker some for brass but usually dies and etc are started at or close to retail prices.

jimkim
12-13-2010, 09:48 AM
I always find the price used sometimes is more than new............

You "always" "sometimes" ? ;)

Char-Gar
12-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Ebay reminds me of shopping at Pawn Shops. Some things are priced way to high and others just right. Every once in a while, you will find a sleeper and get a whale of a bargain.

liljohnnie
12-13-2010, 10:28 PM
I was recently watching a Lyman 4 cav that had been bid up to $81! A new one is $82.XX @ Graf & Sons. But i did buy 65 lbs of linotype for $70 with free shipping.

Kevin Rohrer
12-14-2010, 12:44 AM
I got a Dunbar 'H' press for $81 a few months ago that was cosmetically in poor shape. A few hours of work and a few $$ and I now have a press worth $300. A Dunbar in similarly bad shape sold a month later fro $150.

BudRow
12-14-2010, 05:13 AM
I recently aquired a Redding Ultra Mag press from a "Buy it Now" auction for $69 plus $25 shipping. The press was in great shape! Every once in a while you can find a nugget after mining a ton of ore.