PDA

View Full Version : Got some dead soft lead...

Jech
12-12-2010, 07:40 AM
I've got about 180 pounds of dead soft blue lead on my hands stamped with "Dutch Boy Handy Ingot", a patent number and "Kirk Pure Lead". The fellow I got them from said he thought they were special/old for some reason :confused:

Besides a higher melting point, is there anything special to melting down pure lead and pouring them into angle-iron moulds? 95% of my "smelting" experience has been with range lead or other heinz 57 alloys that had at least a trace level of Sn/Sb so I want to make sure I do it right!

Thanks ~ Jech

WHITETAIL
12-12-2010, 10:53 AM
No, not realy.
Just mark the lead with a stamp or even a chisel.:lovebooli

lwknight
12-12-2010, 11:58 AM
I would not even melt them till its near time to alloy them. The oxidation that is there will not get much worse. When you melt them , you will lose some lead to dross. Then when they are re-cast in smaller ingots , the oxidation will start over and you will lose a little more.

Jech
12-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Well, my reason for melting them down is I'm gonna sell them off. In their current form, they don't fit into any boxes I have, much less a medium flatrate :P

Ole
12-12-2010, 07:21 PM
I mark most of my ingots with a set of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/36-piece-1-8-eighth-inch-steel-letter-number-stamping-set-800.html

$7 is a pretty cheap investment to keep your lead organized, IMO.

lwknight
12-13-2010, 01:03 AM
Genuine dead blue lead is already marked by feel and appearance.

WHITETAIL
12-18-2010, 09:12 AM
:idea:OLE, GREAT idea!

eldoradolee
02-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Hey Jech,Do you have any of that soft blue lead left to sell? I would be interested if price is right.Lee

bumpo628
02-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Well, my reason for melting them down is I'm gonna sell them off. In their current form, they don't fit into any boxes I have, much less a medium flatrate :P

What shape are they in right now? Maybe you can just break or cut them into small enough pieces.

By the way, I might be interested too. How much are you selling it for?

Jech
02-28-2011, 09:32 PM
The original lead I started this thread about I've already sold here...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=107352

However, I just landed another 300lb score in various forms that I'm just starting to go through and see what's nice and pure versus what might be alloyed. In that thread I linked, I was selling it for $1 per pound. If that's something either of you are interested in, send me a PM and we'll work out the details!

Thanks ~ Jech

alane
06-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Hi Jech,

Do you still have any of the Dutch Boy Handy Ingots? I would like to buy one from you.

Regards, Alan

Jech
07-05-2011, 07:55 PM
I apologize, I don't. I haven't had those for quite some time. Been trying to sell some range lead I have but that's about out. Sorry :(

~ Jech

lawsy129
04-07-2015, 01:05 PM
Greetings. I realize it has been almost 4 years since the last post in this thread but I'm looking to sell some "Handy" lead. I have two ingot strings each consisting of a handle and 4 ingots. Not sure if anyone is interested or would have any information on them. I have a picture of them if anyone is interested at all.

RogerDat
04-09-2015, 12:28 PM
You know some of that old lead has maybe a touch more value as "collectable" than it does as lead. Might try offering it up on eBay with a min. bid of at least as much as you would get for it as lead plus a little more (say 25% more). Look around there and base your price on what similar items have sold for.

Let the market tell you if that is something that someone just has to add to their collection never mind the premium price. I have seen old dutch boy ingots and such being sold for more than the lead value on eBay.