PDA

View Full Version : Star Die no drill lube hole plugs.

KennethF
12-11-2010, 11:44 PM
I think this may be a original, or at least little known method of pluging the un-needed holes in the Star sizer dies.

Magma Engineering suggests adding a 71/2 or 8 lead shot pellet to the lube holes in the sizer dies that are not needed to lube a paticular boolit with, say a single lube grove, and to remove these lead shot pellets for a different number or spacing of lube groves on a different booliit design. They recommend drilling these lead shot, maybe as many as 6, out with 2 different size small drill bits and a pin holder which they offer for sale.

What I do is use shot sizes 4-5 or 6 and with punch about 1/4" size end and a hammer,I peen the larger size shot partially into the hole and the remainder of the shot mushrooms around the hole. The lead pellet, which is within the recessed area of the die body, is flatened to a point that it is just below the raised ends of the die body so that they will not interfere with the die entering or comming out of the die receiver.

When I want to remove the plugs for a bullet with more lube groves, or groves in different locations,I just lift the plugs out with my thumb nail and save them to insert again at a later time when needed.

It is as simple as that. No drilling, or KISS.

Let me know how this works out for you.

Ken