PDA

View Full Version : need load for 7.62X54R Bullseye or Titegroup

maximus
12-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Hello guys, iam trying to reload this bullets for first time i got some japanese bullets (.312 diameter ) 150 grain, and those two are the only powders i have , if you know any let me know ty.:brokenima

jonk
12-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Japanese bullets?

Jacketed pull down from 7.7 Jap? That would be quite rare.

Or .312 new production and/or cast that would work well in Japs?

Well either way, you are going to be at some very mild end loads there velocity wise. I can't help with the titegroup, but with Bullseye, start at about 5 gr and try up to 7 with that weight, you should find something reasonably accurate there.

Real mousefart loads. Sounds like a .22 mag.

I have some guns that do very well with that load for 50 yard plinking.

NHlever
12-13-2010, 02:22 AM
You will have to be a bit careful using jacketed bullets over fast burning powder in a long rifle barrel. Too much powder, and the pressure will rise quickly, and maybe too much, just a bit too little, and you will stick a bullet in the bore. Quick Load says you can try 11-15 grains of Bullseye, or 10-16 grains of TiteGroup in your 7.62 X 54 Nagant. In both cases it warns that lower charges produce an excessive pressure before the bullet moves. I don't recommend this combination at all, and if you try it, you are on your own. I use slower powders for jacketed bullets usually, and lead boolits for fast powders. I've only used Unique a few times with jacketed bullets when I was pretty sure of things, but never anything faster burning than that.

maximus
12-13-2010, 10:02 PM
im going for lead cast bullets now i got this mold "C312-155-2R" lee liquid alox and im gona see if i can find any cheap gaschecks.

dualsport
12-15-2010, 02:42 AM
You can use that boolit(the Lee) without gas checks. Probably good as cast, no sizing needed. The powders you have are very good for that purpose. Lots of people use GC boolits without the GC, just gotta keep the speed down. Potentially very accurate too that way. Look around here for plain base loads for the big Russian. I used the Lee soup can 113 gr. in a MN as cast tumble lubed and a little Bullseye, shot real good too.

maximus
12-15-2010, 10:38 AM
i think i may start at 7 grains of bullseye, and work my way up 0.5 grains at the time and look for case fractures, or anything weird until i find a load that makes me whant to sing.

jonk
12-17-2010, 02:16 PM
i think i may start at 7 grains of bullseye, and work my way up 0.5 grains at the time and look for case fractures, or anything weird until i find a load that makes me whant to sing.
Just remember, you'll be building pressure fast, while report and recoil are still very mild. As soon as you start to see flat primers, stop.

1Shirt
12-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Suggest you save yourself some grief, and possible injury. Bullseye and Tightgroup in that large ctg is just a potential accident waiting to happen. Save a few bucks and get a can of some slowere burning powder that you can at least see a double charge if you dropped same. Use the same mfg of brass. 2400 would be my recommendation. I don't think I can tell a single vs. a double charge of bullseye in the bottom of a 7.62x54 case with a flashlight, and doube that you can as well. You can however discern a double charge of 2400, or even Unique I think with a light. Pretty much agree with NHlever! Be cautious, and good luck!
1Shirt!:coffee:

baugh55grfmj
12-26-2010, 09:11 PM
There is a guy on ebay that sells aluminum gas checks for $25-1000. Also it wouldn't hurt to get some Trail Boss and try 12 grs.

Nora
12-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Personally the thought of Bullseye in the 54R makes me cringe. Fast burning powders in a large casing just seems to be an accident waiting to happen. I shoot a LOT of cast with my M-N's and have real good luck with Unique. It's not one that you have but would be a good investment for almost all cast flavors and will go a long way for the $20ish that it would cost, as would 2400. The reasons that I hold this opinion are already listed above.

My $.02

Nora

zxcvbob
12-26-2010, 11:20 PM
I've used Red Dot in .30-06. 12 to 13 grains with any .308 or .309 bullet is *very* accurate but shoots low. 13 to 15 grains of Bullseye should be about the same, but it won't fill the case as well.