PDA

View Full Version : Deer magnet worked

44man
12-11-2010, 08:29 PM
I recharged my magnet and shot deer number six this afternoon. It was a long shot of about 95 yards, last day of doe season too. She is pretty large. I used the paltry .44 mag with my hard cast WD WW boolit. Makes me wish I had a better gun like a 1911! [smilie=l:

outdoorfan
12-11-2010, 08:32 PM
I recharged my magnet [smilie=l:

What in the world are you talking about?:holysheep

btroj
12-11-2010, 09:59 PM
A 44 mag? And the bullet didn't just bounce off? I am disappointed in you 44 man. I thought you only used man sized cartridges.

Nice shooting, but then again, I would expect nothing else from you.

Brad

white eagle
12-11-2010, 10:20 PM
nice deer
seems as though all the deer from here ran over
to your state
didn't see but one the whole 19 days of hunting
thats the way it goes though

44man
12-11-2010, 11:41 PM
What in the world are you talking about?:holysheep
Don did not see any deer so I asked my wife to pick up a deer magnet for him at Wall mart! :Fire:

home in oz
12-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Evidently the Wisconsin deer are wearing their invisibility suits just like the Kansas deer.

btroj
12-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Saw lots in northern Missouri. Shot a decent buck too.
If I want to look at deer I just look out in the back yard. Too bad I can't hunt there.

Am I The only person that sees more deer while hunting squirrels than when hunting deer?
They sure seem to know what the current open season is.

home in oz
12-12-2010, 01:57 AM
The weekend before firearms season, I was at the farm cutting firewood with a couple of daughters.

A herd of deer approached to withing 40-50 yards and just watched us.

Go figure.

BOOM BOOM
12-12-2010, 04:08 AM
HI,
Well as there was no jujitsu practice today as BYU collage is out on winter break. I hiked over a mile today carrying a small backpack & a 13.6 lb. piece of steel in anticipation of a elk hunt.
RIGHT KNEE IS KILLING ME, OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But that not as good:Fire::Fire: as your success w/ deer.:-):Fire::Fire:

44man
12-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Hunting gets tough after the season goes on.
We have a lot of poachers, we hear shots all the time at night. Guys hunt with rifles during archery season.
Rifle hunters lose a LOT of deer, just walking one woods yesterday I found 7 eaten up. Most were very small deer. I would say if I walked just my neighborhood I could find 20. I have already found a dozen.
They shoot at anything, anywhere, running, or in thick brush or 300 yards across a field in the woods at the far end. Most have no clue how or where a rifle shoots and think if they can see a deer leg in the thick, they can kill it.
If they don't see blood at the spot the deer was, they don't look farther and of course every deer should drop at the shot or it is not worth walking over there.
I hear six or more fast shots all the time. How can anyone get six shots at one deer?
Every hunter will lose a deer now and then but I am disgusted with what are supposed to be hunters.
One year in Ohio they opened a scout camp to hunters. Buck season only but they found 30 dead doe right on the bridle paths so they closed all hunting there.
I would say you could triple the recorded kill each year and still be off. Instead of checking in deer you should have to tell how many times you shot.
Thanks for letting me rant, I know you have all seen it.
Oh I forgot something. We have a bunch that are poaching with crossbows. They cut out the back straps and let the rest rot in the field.

btroj
12-12-2010, 10:25 AM
You are right 44man. The road by my parents cabin gets two or three cars per day most of the year. During rifle season it becomes a highway.
Road hunters shooting deer where they see em. No clue who owns the land. Not that It matters to them anyway.
I hear lots of shooting, rarely is it one shot. The number times we hear 3 to 5 shots fired quickly is amazing. I am surprised some of these guys know how to work the bolt that fast!

Big difference between hunting and shooting a deer. Anyone can shoot a deer but it takes dedication and effort to become a hunter.

hoosierlogger
12-12-2010, 10:37 AM
nothing chaps my ass like hearing someone rambo through an entire magazine during firearms season. I wish they would limit the guns you are allowed to use to single shot only.

Houndog
12-12-2010, 11:04 AM
nothing chaps my ass like hearing someone rambo through an entire magazine during firearms season. I wish they would limit the guns you are allowed to use to single shot only.

you might just be on to something there!

2shot
12-12-2010, 11:29 AM
During the first Illinois shotgun season I had a guy within 150 yards of me fire 16, that's right sixteen shots at a deer spraying shots all over the countryside. I took cover behind a big oak tree!!!!!!!!!

That's five reloads assuming that he follows the rules and has his shotgun plugged to hold only three rounds. This 16 shots only took this guy about a 1 1/2 minutes to fire and came from the same spot so I know he never moved from the spot of the first shot.

When his hunting buddy yelled "what you get?" the reply was "I missed". The two walked back to their vehicle and moved on to greener pastures never checking to see if the deer was hit. Thank God they moved away from me!!!!!!!

:Fire:

bisleyfan41
12-12-2010, 01:31 PM
I wish they would limit the guns you are allowed to use to single shot only.

I also can usually find plenty of evidence of sloppy, or even dangerous, "hunters" around here. Deer carcasses in the ditches with the backstraps cut out, trash everywhere at their now abandoned "campsites", multi-shot barrages at deer, etc.

But I would in no way endorse or recommend limiting the law abiding, decent hunters' choice in equipment because of the worthless. I've never understood or liked punishing everyone for the actions of a few. Such a law would surely eliminate the use of many popular guns, including my beloved revolvers that hold 6 rounds.

I know it's frustrating, but the punishment needs to heaped on the people responsible, not the equipment that good hunters use. This is exactly how the gun control laws we all hate get started. "I wish they would....".

Remember, it's the person, not the weapon!!

hoosierlogger
12-12-2010, 02:25 PM
I also can usually find plenty of evidence of sloppy, or even dangerous, "hunters" around here. Deer carcasses in the ditches with the backstraps cut out, trash everywhere at their now abandoned "campsites", multi-shot barrages at deer, etc.

But I would in no way endorse or recommend limiting the law abiding, decent hunters' choice in equipment because of the worthless. I've never understood or liked punishing everyone for the actions of a few. Such a law would surely eliminate the use of many popular guns, including my beloved revolvers that hold 6 rounds.

I know it's frustrating, but the punishment needs to heaped on the people responsible, not the equipment that good hunters use. This is exactly how the gun control laws we all hate get started. "I wish they would....".

Remember, it's the person, not the weapon!!

There is no way they will ever be able to determine who gets to use what guns. I think most of the problem is the shotgun hunters, not the pistol users. If you ask them when they buy a license if they are a responsible hunter I guarantee that no one will say no. I also think there should be a primitive weapons season before all other seasons open for long bows, flintlocks and other traditional muzzle loaders and weapons.

500bfrman
12-12-2010, 08:07 PM
I wish they would limit the guns you are allowed to use to single shot only.

if they do that it wouldn't be long till they limited it to all the time we could only have a single shot.

btroj
12-12-2010, 10:06 PM
And ultimately the state is not interested in the quality of our hunt. They only care snout managing the herd size to fit what they want.
State game departments are not in the customer service business. They have a goal and are not overly concerned with how they reach that goal. And archers and muzzleloaders are not near as effective at lower deer numbers as is a rifle season. It is all numbers.

Heavy lead
12-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Moron's and pigs carry single shots too. Witness today at 8 am, I showed up at the rifle range, spent the first 15 minutes cleaning up spent 209 primers, about 25 .50 caliber patches, 15 cigarette butts (no shrapnel, darn, moron) and about 20 shotshell hulls.
Pig, nothing but a pig, we have a nice garbage can, broom, and a big dustpan with a 4 foot handle on it, and he can't even use it.

white eagle
12-12-2010, 10:21 PM
thank the insurance companies for that

44man
12-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Maybe every new hunter should be required to archery hunt first. Then muzzle loader and then revolver.
I don't have an answer. They have a hunter safety course for new hunters but there is not a hunting course. They also need a tracking course.
Too many think their powerful rifles will drop deer no matter where the hit is. Hit the deer in the hoof and it should drop!
Many call themselves hunters but never shoot the guns until opening day. They are not shooters like we are. Every hunter should be a shooter all year. They need to learn that every deer should NOT be shot at.
I seen one thing that sickened me a few years ago. A bunch in orange driving the roads in a truck looking for deer in fields they could not hunt. There were children in orange in the truck too.

45r
12-18-2010, 03:19 PM
I've past up many a doe at my place,the neighbors shoot a lot.I might shoot one with my handgun now that the season is winding down,I have only shot bucks for a while now.I just haven't been able to shoot the does.Lately I find myself marveling at the ones that survive around here and have grown to have a great deal of respect for their ability to survive,I could have shot a another buck also but want to see more mature deer around here and that won't happen if you don't let the young ones walk.The old does are smarter than most bucks around here and the yearlings are well taken care of by the old girls when it comes to showing them how to get by.

Trifocals
12-18-2010, 04:49 PM
44man, I would be afraid to take to the woods with all of that idiotic, reckless shooting going on. I won't say that we don't have any damn fools, idiots and slobs here in SD but nowhere near what you describe. My youngest son lives in MN and there are a few hunters killed there every year. Those killed may be dressed head to toe in hunter orange but still fall victim. Several years ago a group of 5-6 friends were hunting from tree stands in a MN area. An Asian dude showed up in the area and claimed they were hunting in "his" area and ordered them to leave. Since the group of friends had hunted the area for years, they knew they had every right to be where they were and proceeded to tell the Asian so. The Asian replied by killing several of the group outright. Now this kind of thing is downright SCARY.

44man
12-19-2010, 09:59 AM
It is really not that bad, no worse then any other state. I hunt private properties and there are very few that encroach on it. I feel no danger when hunting.
The dead deer I find have run in from other properties before dying.
Everyone has permission to recover deer wherever it goes.
It comes down to poor shooting and the expectation of a deer dropping in place with every shot. Learning to be a hunter is tough for some.
Once a shot is taken, nothing else should be done until you know you either missed clean or hit the animal. If hit, never give up until it is hopeless. I don't care if it takes all night with a fishing lantern or going back the next morning.
You NEVER shoot at another animal until you recover the first or really lose it. If hit in the morning, the days hunting must be given up until you do all you can.
Ethics is what I complain about but complete ignorance is worse. It is ignorance of what a gun or bullet does.
I have found gut shot deer right under a tree stand because the jerk would not gut a gut shot deer. You kill it, you clean it and eat it. It might be a mess but there is nothing wrong with the meat, wash it out.

winelover
12-19-2010, 10:25 AM
It is really not that bad, no worse then any other state. I hunt private properties and there are very few that encroach on it. I feel no danger when hunting.
It comes down to poor shooting and the expectation of a deer dropping in place with every shot. Learning to be a hunter is tough for some.
Once a shot is taken, nothing else should be done until you know you either missed clean or hit the animal. If hit, never give up until it is hopeless. I don't care if it takes all night with a fishing lantern or going back the next morning.
You NEVER shoot at another animal until you recover the first or really lose it. If hit in the morning, the days hunting must be given up until you do all you can.
Ethics is what I complain about but complete ignorance is worse. It is ignorance of what a gun or bullet does.
I have found gut shot deer right under a tree stand because the jerk would not gut a gut shot deer. You kill it, you clean it and eat it. It might be a mess but there is nothing wrong with the meat, wash it out.

Ethics reign supreme for me also. My wife likes to hunt but enjoys tracking more! On the few occasions that I was ready to call it quits she will egg me on. We will track half the night then come back in the morning if necessary. When all else fails we will take the dog out and let him do his thing.

Winelover

44man
12-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Ethics reign supreme for me also. My wife likes to hunt but enjoys tracking more! On the few occasions that I was ready to call it quits she will egg me on. We will track half the night then come back in the morning if necessary. When all else fails we will take the dog out and let him do his thing.

Winelover
Good for both of you, tell your wife she is a wonderful lady and a true sportsman---or is it sportslady? :Fire:

Bulldogger
12-19-2010, 01:03 PM

I'd like to see a LOT better hunter safety and professionalism, but not at the expense of 90 something percent of our constitutional firearms...

44man
12-19-2010, 01:50 PM
A deer is not like a favorite dog that dies and you cry for days. But the animal you shot at was alive and had a life. Show respect and love and be thankful when you have the meat. Do your best.

waksupi
12-19-2010, 02:00 PM

Ditto

44man
12-19-2010, 03:00 PM
I am in good company!
Nothing more needs said.

4719dave
12-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Ide second that limit of bullets like duck hunting !!!

Freightman
12-19-2010, 10:44 PM
I watch parents teaching their children to break the law, I am a school crossing guard and we have signs and painted stripes for the crossing. I have some that make their children com to there to cross, but far more let them out at the middle of the block and they run across a very busy street unprotected. U turns have been against the law for as long as I have been around 71 years but most of the parents ignore the signs. I guess the parents think their children learn by what they say and not by what they see "Right". With no respect for law it will only get worse and we will lose more of our freedom.
I will get down now and hope that they will learn before it is to late.

missionary5155
12-24-2010, 04:47 AM
Good morning & Merry Christmas
Well done 44 ! My last firearms deer was some years ago when the state of ILL opened revolver season. That was the last year I was in the bushes when the firearms people opened fire. As much as I like popping corn crunchers with a Dan Wesson I far prefer using a 50 # recurve.

BOOM BOOM
12-25-2010, 11:20 PM
HI,
HAVE TO AGREE W/ MUCH OF WHAT HAS BEEN SAID.
Use a muzzle loader now to avoid the crowds.
I actually say a prayer to thank the lord & the deer for the meat.:Fire::Fire:

white eagle
12-25-2010, 11:58 PM
A deer is not like a favorite dog that dies and you cry for days. But the animal you shot at was alive and had a life. Show respect and love and be thankful when you have the meat. Do your best.

You have captured the essence of hunting in those few words
I give thanks for the animal giving its life to me
no greater gift to be had

NHlever
12-26-2010, 04:10 PM
HI,
HAVE TO AGREE W/ MUCH OF WHAT HAS BEEN SAID.
Use a muzzle loader now to avoid the crowds.
I actually say a prayer to thank the lord & the deer for the meat.:Fire::Fire:

Around here you have to wait until muzzleloader season is over to avoid the crowds. Our game populations aren't so good, and there are fewer restrictions on the muzzleloaders. With archery, and muzzleloader seasons coming earlier than rifle seasons, most hunters are done by the time rifle opens.

44man
12-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Here in WV, we have two early seasons in Sept, archery and ML. But it is so hot nobody wants to kill deer. I heard one shot all of ML season. I did not hunt at all. I did not want to try and cool meat and butcher so fast.
Archery runs from Sept 13 to Sept 18 and from Oct 16 to Dec 31. It is now so cold and windy, I would never sit on stand with a bow. I spent too many years in Ohio and PA shaking so bad to do it now when I am old. I have well over 250 bow kills and the glamor has worn off. It is way more work now for me. I still get two each season with a bow but revolver hunting is less work and I stay warmer.
Just call it old age! [smilie=l:
I can sit on the ground with a revolver so I made this seat to put against trees and get down out of the wind. It works great. I leave it in the woods and carry a cushion.