PDA

View Full Version : will it work !!!

bigfoot
12-11-2010, 06:01 PM
hey guys,
got a question, could you use a styro foam plate to cut cards for like filler in shot shell if you had to? like going from 1 oz. to 7/8 oz. shot.
bigfoot

Johnch
12-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Yes above or below it dosnt matter with foam filler

Or a chunk of foam P Nut will also work fine
Drop it in the wad after seating the wad
Dump in the shot
If the shot is to high use the wad ram to push on the shot if the shot is on top of the foam
Then crimp

Just a FYI
Any foam used as filler makes a little foam snow when you shoot

John

Doc Highwall
12-11-2010, 08:41 PM
I have read where backer rod had been cut to length as a filler.

bigfoot
12-11-2010, 09:03 PM
shouldnt have to worry about it melting, right ?
thanks !!!
bigfoot

Johnch
12-11-2010, 10:10 PM
shouldnt have to worry about it melting, right ?
thanks !!!
bigfoot
Not if it is in the wad

But I re read your first post

If you want to load using the foam without a wad
IMO it will not work

You would need some type of hard wad to put between the powder and the foam

If on a truely tight budget
Go scroung the trap or skeet feild
Pick up AA type wads that look good
Dry and use for your wad , then add filler as needed

Used wads work
Not as good as new wads
But when I was young and broke

I shot a lot of black birds with reused wads

John

bigfoot
12-11-2010, 10:23 PM
it was for inside the wad, you think it would help with cushioning for 7/8 oz. lee slug and to keep the wad from sticking to the back of the slug. might help for accuracy?

bigfoot
12-11-2010, 10:25 PM
doc,
whats a backer rod?

Doc Highwall
12-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Backer Rod is the material that they use to fill the expansion joints between cement sidewalks before they put a caulking on top. It is found where they sell cement products and it comes in different diameters on rolls. When I put my cement driveway in I saw cut for crack control and I pushed the backer rod down into the saw cut 1/2" and then I filled the saw cut up to the top with caulking. It is like a foam rope when you handle it. Some place I saw that the person was cutting it with a razor blade and a stop like on a paper cutter to get all the pieces the same length.

mini14
12-11-2010, 10:56 PM
it was for inside the wad, you think it would help with cushioning for 7/8 oz. lee slug and to keep the wad from sticking to the back of the slug. might help for accuracy?

put a nitro card under it

bigfoot
12-12-2010, 12:09 AM
mini,
i was look n for something you had laying around the house, it was one of those just in case things happen ideas!!!

mckutzy
12-12-2010, 02:25 PM
I heard from a friend of mine, he said try using ceiling tile, them fiberis boards in office's, cut them with a punch or spinning punch for shot wads or the like, works great in a muzzle loader aswell.