PDA

View Full Version : Emmert's type BP lube...but with Bear grease instead of crisco

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Does anyone have any experience using Bear grease blended with beeswax for a BP lube ?
would I use the same ratio ?
Jon

The quote below is from the sticky: Just the facts: Lube recipes
this recipe is one of the many recipes from Hip's Ax post, I believe the stated results are from a now anomous poster from BPCR.net

I have used Emmert's Home Mix for both Black Powder and Smokeless loads with excellent results:
50% pure natural beeswax, 40% Crisco, and 10% Canola Oil (all measurements by volume).
Melt using a double boiler (overheating damages the lube).

A refinement is to reduce the Canola Oil by half and replace that half with Anhydrous
Lanolin. So, the improved Emmert's is:
50% beeswax, 40% Crisco, 5% Canola Oil, and 5% Lanolin.

Tom-ADC
12-11-2010, 12:29 PM
No but I substitute anhydrous lanolin for the canolia oil and I'm really happy with the results.

Baron von Trollwhack
12-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Yes, I use BW and bear's grease. In cold weather I can use the grease straight, as it is hard as bar soap, middling weather a little BW, hot weather a little more BW. Can't get to the chapstick consistency with it in the cold as I would like because below about 40*F, the bear's grease starts to get pretty firm and I didn't want any kind of vegetable oil in it .

This is for patch lube for RB. BvT

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Good to know for patches.
I am looking for a ratio for lubing conical boolits.
I have used 100% bear grease for patches
and finger lubing boolits in the past...except in hot weather
then I'd use TC bore butter.
But now that I started casting and making my own lube for smokless,
I figure I'd start making something for conical boollits for my front stuffer.
I think I'd dip lube and then make a cookie cutter to trim
the excess lube.

Still looking for a BW and Bear Grease ratio.
Jon

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-23-2010, 06:58 PM

fryboy
12-23-2010, 08:50 PM

you want me to throw a sample of pearl lube improved in ur box amigo ? the basic recipe is in the recipe thread , i used to use emmert's now i use this , in dean's test thread i posted a foto of my "mere lube grooves" but is also does fair on patches and thru a sizer and of course wonderful on pan lubing

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Pearl Lube Classic
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Equal parts by weight:
-Container blend Soy wax flakes
-wax toilet bowl ring
-cheep vegetable shortening

Interesting, ya Fryboy, I'd like to try a little of that.
the M.O. went out yesterday.
Jon

fryboy
12-24-2010, 04:56 PM
consider it added amigo ! it also works well for 45 acp's and 44-40's , the improved part of course is the addition of carnuba and lanolin , i turned my buddy on to it and it's all he uses ( of course he doesnt cast any hi-velocity rifle boolits )

TCLouis
01-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Bear grease is way to good as a leather treatment to send it down range on a boolit.

looseprojectile
01-02-2011, 10:00 PM
In my experience straight bear grease makes your leather so soft you can scrape the leather off with your fingernails.
I would use at least 50/50 beeswax and bear grease.
And yes I don't want to waste any bear grease. I have a lot more whitetail fat than bear grease.
Deer fat does not sour.
Bear grease attracts all my friends dogs. Makes great bisquits and pie crust.
Deer fat smells like an old goat. I don't eat deer fat.
Probably ought to add a little pig fat to any boolit lube.:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Life is good