PDA

View Full Version : Taurus PT1911 + 45 ACP+P

The Pogo
12-10-2010, 11:56 PM
I've been googling most of the afternoon and still can't find any info about the wisdom of using .45 ACP in my PT 1911. Should have come here first......you were the guys the last question I had.

Frank46
12-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Pogo, I may be old fashioned but I only use 230 grain hard cast bullets in my 45. I'm of the opinion that plus P's are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Think you'll
get more wear and tear for very little velocity gain. Frank

Triggerhappy
12-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Does your Taurus have a fully supported chamber? I prefer to shoot +P loads in a FSC. Have seen a couple bulge on 1911's that had the barrel a little deep. If the barrel is ramped go for it, if it's the traditional style barrel with the ramp in the frame you might think about it. Stronger recoil springs and shock buffers go with shooting a bunch of +P's to keep the pistol healthy.

Good luck

TH

S.R.Custom
12-11-2010, 02:01 AM
Pressurewise, it's a piece of cake. When I had my PT1911, I ran a buffer to soak up the added impact, though. I didn't observe any ill effects to the gun as a result. (None that didn't come from the factory, that is, but that's another story.)

Walt
12-11-2010, 07:11 AM
I've been googling most of the afternoon and still can't find any info about the wisdom of using .45 ACP in my PT 1911. Should have come here first......you were the guys the last question I had.

I don't run 45+P through any of my 1911s on a regular basis. Standard pressure loads will do about anything a man needs to do with a defense pistol. Having said that, if you want to run +P for hunting hogs or whitetail (or defense) go for it. For the good of the pistol make sure you spring your gun appropriatly.

The Pogo
12-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Thank you all for your input. I can't say how much I 'preciate it and I gotta say that at the age of 78 I have learned more on this website (about guns) in the last 3 mos. than in the preceeding 931, incl 7 yrs in Army Arty!
I wasn't even aware of +P ammo until I read about it here and discovered it's a great compromise for my S&W 357, and the idea of 45 ACP+P hadn't occurred to me either but.......a Cop friend of mine, retired, had a gaggle of left-over ammo at home that he didn't want his grandkids getting into and gave it to me. Loaded some into my 45 without realising it was +P and got the suprise of my life at The Bullet Hole. And a sore hand into the bargain.
Started this thread wondering if it might have done some damage to the gun as well as my hand.
I'll save the rest of it for the last resort ammo.
Now I think I'll go back to the range and try some 357 in my beautiful Brazilian I.N.A.
Thanks again. Bill
PS. The I.N.A. is the orginal $2.00 pistol than which things are hotter.

MtGun44
12-12-2010, 04:12 AM
Where in Lenexa? Been shooting at the BH for 30 yrs.

A few rounds will not hurt the gun, but it may increase the wear and tear over the
long haul. I avoid pushing pressure limits without some particular reason. In a
modest caliber carry gun, maybe pushing the limits a tad might make some sense
for carry ammo only. For major caliber like .45 ACP, the difference in effect will be
pretty unimportant, so it seems kinda pointless to me.

Bill

The Pogo
12-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Hi MT;
90th terr & Caenen.
Just started shooting again this year. Long story.
Bill
PS The 357 doesnt work too well in the Brazilizn 38 spl either. Hah!

MtGun44
12-13-2010, 02:45 AM
OK, you're in Old Town. I'm really close in Green Prairie. Is Mrs McKaig your
neighbor? ~1/2 mile

Bill