PDA

View Full Version : Custom Ruger # 1 - 358 Win.

Ben
12-10-2010, 11:22 PM
FOR ALL OF YOU 35 CAL RIFLE FANS :

I've just finished off the last minute final touches of my " Dream Rifle ", A Ruger # 1.

The rifle now has a 20" barrel ( Ideal length IMO for slipping around through the hvy. timber here in AL and not have the end of the barrel always hitting tree limbs ) . The barrel was rebored & the barrel was cut and re-crowned by JES in OR.

http://www.35caliber.com/

The barrel is a 3 groove , twist 1 - 13, .005 tall rifling. chambered in 358 Win. The bore is .3580 ", mirror smooth.
The sling does not attach to the fore end. Instead, it attaches to a solid steel barrel band on the barrel.

The rifle has a Burris, Signature 1.5 X 6 Variable with a plex reticle in low mounts.
The rifle has a Moyer's Adjustable trigger in it, set at 1.5 lbs. , clean , crisp, with no over travel. The stock and fore end are highly figured. The butt stock has a " Shadow Line " Cheek Piece .

I did all the stock work on the rifle.

Can't wait to shoot this one..........I'll be in the deep hardwood bottoms after White Tailed deer here in AL with this one.

This is my 3rd , 35 cal. rifle that JES has rebored for me. The other 2 are nail drivers with cast bullets. I hope this one will be also.

Give me your opinion on the rifle after you look at photos below.

Here is a link to the photos, look in the approx. center of the page when the link opens and find " View as slide show " in blue , click on that and sit back and watch the photos :

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Ruger%20Number%201%20%20358%20Win/

docone31
12-10-2010, 11:38 PM
You should warn people they need sunglasses to view the rifle stock!
That is one beautiful piece of wood!
sure looks like a sweetie. Bet she shoots well also.
I do love the #1s.

Ben
12-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Guess it would be good to offer a warning.......

smoked turkey
12-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Ben: One of the most beautiful rifles I have seen. I'm sure it will provide you with many enjoyable outings as you are out and about in the timber. I'm jealous.

Ben
12-10-2010, 11:52 PM
smoked turkey :

Thanks for those kind remarks, I've got a " Chunk of Change " in this one, but I don't regret a dime of it.

docone31
12-10-2010, 11:59 PM
yeppir, I bet you do!
You done some fine work there. I love the finish.
That rifle looks darn good! Not many like that.
Jealous....
#1s are my favourite. All they need is just a touch of work and they are the best!
That is one sweet rifle.

Frank46
12-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Ben, beautiful rifle!!!!. As usual an excellent job. Frank

Jack Stanley
12-11-2010, 10:16 AM
THAT , is a very pretty rifle but of course you knew that huh? The buttplate is a nice touch I have one like that on a twenty-two rifle . Lots of nice thinge to enjoy on that piece , grip cap wood and fit ..... all nicely done .

Ya did good thinking that one up :smile:

Jack

Ben
12-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks Jack for those nice comments ,

As you're well aware, you don't build something like this in 2 weeks. I've been on this project for a long time. I worked on the stock for 9 months.

I don't regret a minute of the labor or a dime of the money that I have invested in this rifle.

It is nice in this life to have something exactly the way you want it instead of being forced to buy something that really isn't what you wanted.

Ben

atr
12-11-2010, 12:18 PM
nicely done Ben !!

Ole
12-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Nice rifle!

.358 Win is one of my favorite cartridges.

Yours should make a sweet shooter.

white eagle
12-11-2010, 12:53 PM
I love the #1's
couldn't pick a better cartridge
I built one on a mod 70 compact action
21"Pac-Nor barrel

dragonrider
12-11-2010, 01:19 PM
That's just beautiful Ben, very nice wood.

Ben
12-11-2010, 03:17 PM
You guys are just TOO nice ! !

Thanks,
Ben

hicard
12-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Love it Ben, beautiful it is. I would be afraid to take it out in the world to hunt with it but then it would only be a safe queen and there are too many of those around anyway.

Ben
12-11-2010, 05:47 PM
hicard ,

Yes, I understand exactly what you're saying. I plan to hunt with it, but I won't be carrying it like a piece of scrap 2 X 4, you can bet on that.

Ben

358wcf
12-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Good on you, Ben!
A beautifully-done, elegant rifle, showing excellent taste in the subdued details-
- chambered for a classic hunting round, appreciated by only a few-
- a classic stock outline, with traditional steel buttplate and gripcap- the cheekpiece is very tastefully done- excellent wood-to-metal fit-
- a one-in-a-million stock, fully colored and feathered crotch figure on both sides- is that bastogne walnut?
I fully appreciate all of the tasteful details above, but what I really see is a HUNTER'S RIFLE- sturdy, accurate, and built to reflect the tastes of it's owner, exactly.

I envy you, Sir!
Very, very well done!!

Chuck
358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Ben
12-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Chuck,

Yes, Bastogne walnut.

I've been wanting this SPECIFIC rifle for a long time, and now it has finally come to fruition.

As you're aware, I'm no newcomer to the 358 Win. round. For the type of hunting I'm doing right now, I can't think of a better round.

I have the RCBS 200 gr. g/c HP, the NEI 260 gr. solid g/c with a flat meplat. The Lyman 358009 solid and HP. I also have hundreds of .35 cal. jacketed bullets on the shelf.
And last but not least, about 2,000 once fired, 308 Win. cases that can be quickly used in my 308 Win. Ruger # 1, or my New Ruger 338 Federal, or used in any of my several 358 Win. rifles.

A bazillion 38 / 357 pistol molds if I just want to plink with the rifle in off season.

Like I've said, I don't regret a thing.

Many thanks Chuck,
and Merry Christmas to all of you,

Ben

Jack Stanley
12-11-2010, 09:29 PM
You are very welcome Ben and all of the kind words are reflective of the thought you've put into this rifle . It is easy to see this is no microwave special rifle you have .

I'm thinking off season for your hunters rifle can mean hollow points and woodchucks spring and summer . Perhaps mild loaded thirty-eight round nose for tree rats in early fall and the same for rabbits in the winter . Deer ? oh , I'm sure you'll have something for that too .

Jack

Ben
12-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Jack :

I'm still puzzled why, during the past 40 years , the American hunter has in many cases passed over the 358 Winchester in favor of so many other " more versatile " cartridges ? ? ?

The terrain & hunting conditions here in Alabama begs for the 358 Winchester.

I'm a BIG FAN of the 358 Win. cartridge ! When I envisioned this project, the 358 Win. was the dominant cartridge on my mind.

I have an NEI 260 gr. g/c with a big lube groove and generous meplat on the end of the bullet's nose. Cast at .3610". I'm anxious to try some of these in my new rifle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/PICT0002-40.jpg

I don't think I'll be running out of lube with this NEI bullet :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/PICT0001-60.jpg

Notice how the tall ( .005 " ) 3 groove rifling gets a " big bite " on the bullet.
Not much change of a bullet skidding in this barrel :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/PICT0006-11.jpg

Here is the 358009, look at this photo.....it fully illustrates what is meant when
we say " Nose Rider " :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/PICT0007-15.jpg

Ben

Jack Stanley
12-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Ben , that's easy . Like my foreman at the die-casting place (that went south years ago ) would say while I was trying to run my machine . "MORE ! , BETTER! , FASTER! Magniesium will only run so fast before the quality quits ya and the American hunter may have some of the same thing going . Since I didn't get the critter with the gun I have , it must be the guns fault not my lack of practice (quality) So I'm gonna get me a new rifle (better) and to be better it's gotta be faster and I'll get more critters !! :Fire:

Nothing wrong with a new rifle but when you are limited to ninety yards because of trees or swamp . Does one really need that new .339 Rugchester magnum or would a thirty-five Remington do as well ( providing one practices ) ?

Once upon a time I was blessed to have three left-handed Remington 788 rifles , two of them being chambered in .308 Winchester . Long before I even knew what a switch barrel rifle was I wanted to have a .358 Winchester barrel installed on one of them . Sadly I had more want to than money to get the job done :( Now I just hafta get by with a couple thirty calibers and a forty-five lever gun .

Looking at my avatar it's easy to see where my money went [smilie=1:

Jack

Ben
12-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Those 788's are all nail drivers. I thought about rebarreling a Rem. 788 myself, but the length of the mag. box and those long nose heavy 35 cal. cast bullets........Well, you know the rest of the story...........

Jack Stanley
12-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I think you made the right choice :-)

Jack

Ben
12-21-2010, 08:27 PM
I finally got out to shoot my new Ruger # 1, 358 Win. Carbine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Ruger%20Number%201%20%20358%20Win/PICT0014.jpg

Wow, am I thrilled ! ! Got to give JES and his reboring using 3 groove rifling another " Atta-Boy ", this barrel is everything I'd hoped for.

I had my rifle sighed in at 80 yards and was shooting 17 grs. of 2400 with a RCBS , 200 gr. HP sized to .3595 ". I shot some fine groups with that load.

I changed loads and went to :

24.5 grs. of 2400
with the NEI 260 gr. g/c bullet
G/C's were Pat Marlin , .014 thickness aluminum, 35 cal.
Primers Wolf large rifle
Bullets sized .3595 " in a Lee Push thru ( Nose 1st ) sizer.
Lubed in a Lyman 45 with a custom honed, .3605 " H & I sizer die so that
I can lube only with zero sizing as the last step prior to loading.
OAL of the round was 2.735 "

This is a 3 shot group fired at 80 yards ( completely off the target , by the way) but who cares....that's what windage and elevation adjustments are for on my Burris 1.5 X 6 Var. Scope. You can bet that I'll be loading more of this combination ! ( I KNOW !!!! before you say it..... a single 3 shot group doesn't prove anything...you're right. But ....if I can do this in a few days , 5 times in a row at the same distance, I'll then say....Yes, I think it does prove something. )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/018.jpg

Here is the NEI ( this is a GOOD one made by Walt , 25 yrs. ago ), it mikes .3625 on all of the bands as it comes from the mold. Nice and round to within .0003 ". It carries a lot of lube. Once it is g/c'd and lubed , it weighs 272 grs. At 1850 fps., out of my 358 Win. , we don't have any white tails around here that will stop this bullet.

I gave serious thought as to hp'ing this NEI mold , but I've got 5 other .35 cal. molds that cast hp bullets, ...........I think I'll leave this one as a solid.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/019.jpg

1Shirt
12-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Ain't it just great when it all comes together. Beautiful rifle Ben!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Ben
12-21-2010, 08:38 PM
1Shirt :

I guess sometimes even a blind hog can find an acorn.

It is real nice when they shoot just as good as they look, unfortunately I've owned several rifles, ( yrs. ago ) that DIDN'T shoot nearly as well as they looked.

" Of course, those horses didn't stay in my barn long. "

waksupi
12-21-2010, 08:49 PM
This chambering just plain wants to shoot. I've not seen an inaccurate one yet.

Ben
12-21-2010, 08:54 PM
waksupi :

Yes, you're exactly right. Of course, I can't remember any rifle that I've owned in the past that had the .308 Win. as a parent case ( ie., .243, .260 , 7 mm - 08 , 338 Fed, 358 Win. ) that didn't shoot well.

I guess the Swat Teams didn't select that round ( 308 Win. ) by " simple happen chance " did they ?

Ben

9.3X62AL
12-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Ben--

She shoots as beautifully as she looks. Of course, your usual SUNSET Magazine-quality photography does the subject no harm, either.

Ben
12-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks AL ,

I want to shoot more of this load I fired today. A little fine tuning and I may have found what this rifle really likes.

Ben

Ben
12-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Thought while the weather was fairly mild today that I should get outside & cast some more of the 272 gr. , 35 cal. NEI, g/c bullets ;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/049.jpg

chboats
12-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Ben - I have been thinking about having a 308 barrel rebored by Jes to 358 Win. I have a couple of questions.
How much freebore does it have?
By the looks of your boolits photos there is not much taper in the throat. How deep do you have to seat the boolit?

That is one fine looking rifle you have there!!! and it looks like it is a shooter too.

Carl

Ben
12-23-2010, 12:47 AM
Carl :

I highly recommend JES. He is top notch ! I simply seat my bullet out as far as I can in my Ruger # 1, so that when I close the lever , I feel a very slight resistance.

As best I can tell JES throats his barrels for the long 250 gr. round nose factory round. My 3 rifles shoot VERY WELL with this arrangement.

Here is a photo of the loaded 358 Win. round that I fired the 3 shot group with in the above thread ( I've placed an " as cast " bullet by the loaded round if you'd like to see where the end of the g/c is positioned in relation to the neck of the case )

This makes for a real " Thumper Round " :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/052.jpg

chboats
12-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks Ben. A picture is worth a thousand words

Thanks
Carl

PatMarlin
12-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Lordy- now I'm going to have to get my #1 in 300 win rebored to .358 ...:mrgreen:

Outstanding work as usual Ben.

I was thinking of a rebore to 358 Norma, due to the fact I have over 1000 300 winmag brasses. I wonder how well the Norma would be as a cast shooter compared to the 358 Win?. Already have a 358 winnie- boringly accurate ...:mrgreen:

Ben
12-26-2010, 04:21 PM
My thoughts aren't worth a lot....( if they were the Pentagon would be calling me every 5 minutes wanting my opinion on worldly affairs ), but I'd think the 358 Norma would be much better suited to full loads with J bullets than with cast.

I might be wrong? ( and have been many times before)

A cavernous case capacity in that 358 N Mag!

Ignition might be more than a little bit of a problem with cast boolit friendly powders in the " Middle Burn Rates Range ".

Like you've said, the 358 Win. and cast boolits go together like a hand in a glove.
One of my all time favorites !

Ben

DavidMc116
12-26-2010, 05:18 PM
It's a hoot to visualize a "perfect" gun and make it happen. I've done the same thing only with a Ruger #3 as a foundation, chamber in .358, (with the exception of having the work done, since I'm incompetent with hand tools). Nonneman Custom Rifles used a Shilen barrel turned to #1 specs, added a quarter rib, a Ruger #1 front sight and barrrel band sling swivel. I got my wood from Buck Mountain Rifle Works. Alexander Henry forend, and a straight stock with a skeleton butt plate. It went into the bluing tank last week. I'm still looking for an "artist" to checker the unfinished stocks and skeleton butt!
As this one is being completed, I'm on the search for a decently priced stainless/walnut Ruger #1 to covert to .35 Remington. I do love the 35 calibers, and the whollop light .357 bullets at rifle velocities is awesome! The 35 Whelen doesn't do it for me as there's too much case capacity for light loads.
Congrats on a great custom Ben!

waksupi
12-26-2010, 07:03 PM
It is just really hard to beat the .358 Winchester for a cast bullet rifle. The case capacity is perfect. Anything bigger in the caliber is overbore. It has both accuracy, and hunting capability. When you correlate the figures for factory ammunition, and compare what you can do with a 290 gr. boolit, you can see you are far surpassing anything the originators ever imagined. A gentle giant, indeed.

Ben
12-26-2010, 07:17 PM
DavidMc116 :

Many don't realize just how much $$$$ & time you can sink into a project like this. Obviously you do. I'd love to see some photos when yours is completed.

waksupi :

I could not have said it better, or agree more. Well spoken !

Ben

Ben
12-26-2010, 08:16 PM
The way I've seen that 300 Win. shoot cast, I'd be tempted to leave well enough alone. That rifle shoots real good.

Eutectic
12-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Lordy- now I'm going to have to get my #1 in 300 win rebored to .358 ...:mrgreen:

I was thinking of a rebore to 358 Norma,

Won't be able to go to .358 Norma Pat... as your .300 Win Mag chamber shoulder is already too deep. But.... nothing wrong with a .358-.300! I've though about that one a time or two myself... Even more 'cavernous' than the Norma though!

Eutectic

PatMarlin
12-26-2010, 09:29 PM
The way I've seen that 300 Win. shoot cast, I'd be tempted to leave well enough alone. That rifle shoots real good.

I got it to shoot cast well with fast powder light Lyman handbook loads. I want my #1 to shoot like yours Ben ...:mrgreen:

Actually, there have been some interesting posts on the 358 Norma from these guys so far as I've been able to find:

badgeredd

Bullshop Junior

Wiljen

Bret4207

Bass Ackward

They've been forming brass out of the 300 Winny as well. Since I won't have money to do this anyway for at least a year, it's all going towards research.

OK- I want to rebore to 358 (one of them).

Have Ben refinish the stocks. New recoil pad.

Have Turnbowl case harden the receiver, and the scope rings, and end cap.

I've got a nice Luepy vari-x III on there now (not the scope pictured), so it will go back on.

How much will that cost me- bout- $250? ...:mrgreen:

http://www.patmarlins.com/myrug1b.jpg

Ben
12-26-2010, 09:48 PM
The size of your current 300 Win. Mag. chamber ( assuming you keep that barrel on your receiver and don't change barrels ) will just about force you to chamber to 358 Norma Mag. ( or larger ) assuming you're going to go with JES on a 3 groove re bore.

The refinishing of the stock and other things you want " in the wood arena " are certainly within my reach.

I'd be glad to work with you.

Ben

PatMarlin
12-26-2010, 10:35 PM
I would probably have over $1000 in that work with Turnbowl case hardening. Would look awesome as I saw one done in Leupold's picture ads.

Imagine going to all that expense and have it shoot like a turkey?

Ben
12-26-2010, 10:40 PM
If you do decide on the Big Mag. 35 cal. round , I'd certainly shoot it for a few months before I started on Phase II of the work.

Like you say " Imagine going to all that expense and have it shoot like a turkey? "

Ben

gravel
01-01-2011, 01:24 PM
very nice ! congratulations on finishing your perfect rifle.

what twist rate did you choose?

where did you get the wood? how did you pick it, and did you know it would be highly figured when you bought it? wood price would be nice to know, if it's not too personal.

Ben
01-01-2011, 06:58 PM
My twist is 1-13. Wood came from Donnie Gems in Missouri. Pretty pricey. I worked on the stock and fore end for 9 months. It may not look like it, but a set of wood like this on a Ruger # 1 takes A LOT OF TIME to successfully complete.

Ben

nanuk
01-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Beautiful!

Ok.... I'll start the bidding... $100!

WooHoo...

one hunert bid... who'll gimme two...

Just grins.

I'd love a .358Win on a #1. sounds near perfect to me!

nanuk
01-02-2011, 06:55 AM
oh... and might I add...

I don't care for checkering. on a beautiful stock like that, it would only take away some of the impact of beautiful grain.

PatMarlin
01-02-2011, 06:22 PM
I'll go $250.

Rick Hodges
01-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Nanuk,

Checkering is functional.....makes the gun feel 3 lbs. lighter while handling it in the woods with gloves on. It can be mighty pretty too....:wink:

JDL
01-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Most excellent Ben, you've created another masterpiece!!! Now, I have to go and clean all the slobber off my keyboard. :-D

Ben
01-20-2011, 10:40 PM
JDL :

Thanks,

( What's a roll of paper towels or so...That keyboard will come clean eventually............? )

Ben