PDA

View Full Version : Lee liquid alox cold weather

maximus
12-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Hello guys , i have beent trying to lube some 9mm cast boolits, but my lee liquid alox looks like a chunk of ice, i was wondering what will be the best thing to do, or heat it on a pot, mineral spirits, or hot water?:killingpc

fryboy
12-10-2010, 04:17 PM
mineral spirits to thin , they caution to reduce no more than 50% altho i think that this works much much much better

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654

warming the mix and the boolits does help to some extent but plz keep in mind that it's really easy to apply too much

maximus
12-10-2010, 04:37 PM
great thank you.

noylj
12-10-2010, 08:00 PM
I have never needed to warm up the bullets, but I tumble lube in the house.
Is your LLA a brick due to being out in an unheated garage or such or because the solvents have evaporated?
I take the LLA bottle, put it in a cup, fill the cup with water, and microwave it. I pour about 500 bullets into a glass or SS chafing/casserole dish, squirt a little warm LLA on them and then "shuffle" them around in the dish (just like shuffling dominoes) for maybe a minute. Inspect and be sure they all look shiny/wet. If there are dry ones, I add just a little more LLA and shuffle them around. Pour out on wax paper or Al foil. The coating is so thin, there is no "run off" or need to stand the bullets up.
I plan to make some 45:45:10 or order some from Lars to try out.

bgokk
12-10-2010, 10:11 PM
I plan to make some 45:45:10 or order some from Lars to try out.

I read that Lars was "maybe" going to start supplying 45/45/10. Is it a done deal?
BG

noylj
12-11-2010, 02:49 AM
Lars has enough on his plate for his "hobby" of making lubes so I would expect that it is a low priority for him. Right now, I just hope that nothing happens to him or his wife--they are a valuable resource.
My question was if they would have to buy JPW or get carnauba wax and some other wax (maybe a microcrystalline wax) for the blend. Seems very wasteful to evaporate off solvent and then add solvent.
Whatever, I expect that when I run low of my present bullets, I will be ordering at least Xlox from him and probably a pan lube (probably BAC). If he has a 50:50 or 45:45:10 that he likes, I will definitely order some.

saz
12-11-2010, 05:26 PM
I read that Lars was "maybe" going to start supplying 45/45/10. Is it a done deal?
BG

Either way you go, the 45-45-10 is the way to go! I have used it up to 1800fps and it works very well.

bruce381
12-20-2010, 02:11 AM
Hello guys , i have beent trying to lube some 9mm cast boolits, but my lee liquid alox looks like a chunk of ice, i was wondering what will be the best thing to do, or heat it on a pot, mineral spirits, or hot water?:killingpc

Micro wave oven

Moonie
12-20-2010, 11:33 AM
+1 on Microwave. I was using it in the original Lee bottles and heating it in hot water but made up a large batch and put it in an empty dish soap container, microwave works well on it since it is now too big to put in a cup of hot water.

fecmech
12-20-2010, 01:13 PM
I have my "Recluse" lube in a Lee bottle with a bullet inside to mix. I use 40 seconds in a 1000 watt microwave to heat it and that works fine for me. I put my warm bullets in a 1 qt zip loc bag and "moosh" them around in there then dump on a screen. That way I don't have to handle them until they are dry.

saz
12-20-2010, 04:13 PM
If you warm your boolits up a little first, they will dry even faster. I use a handheld propane torch for a few seconds to get them hot enough to where you dont want to pick them up with your fingers. I do that for both tumble lubing and pan lubing. For the pan lubing it makes the lube stick to the boolits way better and they push out of the cake easier too.

45-70 Chevroner
12-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Ten seconds in the microwave in it's original container, if not soft enough 10 more seconds, and so on. It does work and it is not messy. I have done this a number of times and it does work. Ten seconds only at a time though. It beats the heck out of mineral spirits. You can tell when it is ready just by squeezing the container and by how warm it is.