PDA

View Full Version : Star die removal without the tool?

CiDirkona
12-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Is there a way to remove the die in a Star without the fancy tool for it? I don't mind buying one, but I've already got the die I need, and have a feeling that I won't be switching off the 357 die I need in any time soon...

Flip it over and lean on it with a wooden dowel? Smack it? Scare it with some Chuck Norris moves/movies?

cheese1566
12-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Does your lube need heat? If so, remove the die when the lube is still warm and soft.
I try not to use the Star removal tool except for last resort. I can usually use a large wooden dowel or plastic handle on a screwdriver to push up from the bottom. I sometimes run into trouble with the O-rings on my new Star binding and getting in the way or if the lube is cool and stiff.

CiDirkona
12-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Ah -- ok, that helps, thanks!

454PB
12-10-2010, 02:49 PM
This may sound weird, but put a step stool (or other device high enough) under the Star, place a wood dowel under the sizer die, place the wood dowel on top of your knee, rest your foot on the step stool, and use the leverage of flexing your ankle to remove the die. It beats having the dowel slip while hunched over the sizer trying to muscle it out!

rodsvet
12-10-2010, 03:07 PM
If the machine is warmed up I can push the die up and out with my finger. If the machine is cold and the lube is hard then you will probably mess up the O ring. Be careful. Rod

Springfield
12-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Just pitch the O-ring. Makes life so much easier, so what if you have to wipe of a little lube once in while. Works on my 3 Stars.

376Steyr
12-10-2010, 04:25 PM
I use a heat gun to get the die extra warm, then grab a junked piece of rifle brass off the bench top to use as a punch, and then use a wooden mallet to tap it upwards. Without the extra heat, the die can be pretty much glued into place. If you have an older Star, make sure the set screw that retains the die is backed out.

Lloyd Smale
12-11-2010, 06:55 AM
i just take a propane torch and quickly heat up the area around the die and push it out with my finger. Ive been doing this for 20 years and havent hurt the machine yet.

CiDirkona
12-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I got it warm enough to be quite uncomfortable on my hands and it wouldn't budge at all, so I spent the extra couple bucks getting lathesmith's tool -- and the roller handle while I was at it. :D