PDA

View Full Version : Black bore situation

JJC
12-10-2010, 11:21 AM
My uncle gave me a 6.5 Sweedish Mauser. The bore was black and filthy. I cleaned and scrubbed it. Shot it and the black was back. Looking in it looks fine when clean. I have the same problem with a pistol that grew leggs and was found and held till the end of the SOB's trial. No oil on the pistol for two years. Barrel is fine then go to clean it and get black out. Is there any remedy? Thanks

CLAYPOOL
12-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Buy some "Wipe Out" and use that to clean with.
CLAYPOOL

Nose Dive
12-19-2010, 11:51 AM
JJC... Try electrionic cleanling. Sounds crazy and exspenisve but is not. I have bouth a dozen old mausers and have been able thus far to reneder each barrel clean and shiny. No lapping compounds at all.. This process is really just electroplating the copper off the barrel onto an 'electrode'..(metal rod insterted into the barrel) and fill barrel with ammonia..(that is what I use)... the hook up a little 6V 'deer feeder' battery charger to it and presto,,you electro plating the rod with metal ions off the barrel bore. I do it twice..scurbbing in between sessions and the use HOPPES...the spray out with WD-40 and dry swatches. Works like a charm and if cheap..easy... If you are doing it properly,,,the rod comes out 'copper coated' with junk from the barrel. If not, you need to switch the electrical feed connecton around. You want Negative on the Rod...Positive on the barrel...so the electrons come from the rod to the barrel and the positive copper ions go to the rod and off your barrel. Clean the rod with grit paper between session to clean off the copperl.

Be sure..eye glasses around ammonia and no 'little feet' anywhere around where you are working. Ventialted area too.

Nose Dive.

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.