PDA

View Full Version : MidwayUSA lead prices

bassfishindoc
12-10-2010, 01:25 AM
Hey everybody, I'm new to casting and am working on gathering some lead. From what I have gathered it can be had in a variety of places from free to about $2/lb. As I was checking out MidwayUSA I noticed their lead prices are WAY higher than that. Ney Certified Pure Lead Casting Alloy Ingot (99.97% Pure) Approximately 7.70 lbs Average Weight is going for $31.99, and the alloys are even more. What is the reason for the huge prices discrepancy? Does certified pure lead really cost that much more? Thanks!

lwknight
12-10-2010, 02:36 AM
Midway is not a metal recource. They evidently buy from a retailer and try to keystone the sale.
Rotometals is in the metals business and can sell at rightous prices.
I always wondered where the commercial casters get their alloys from.
There are a couple of mines in Missouri that will sell smal orders at near market prices.

fredj338
12-10-2010, 03:24 AM
It's Midway making a profit! Add shipping to that & you are getting hosed big time. At $2/#, I would not even cast, just not worth the time at that point. That would be $58/1K 200gr 45s. I can buy them& have them delivered to my door for less than $70/1K. I am not doing that much work to save $12 for plinking bullets. Scrounge, buy from reputable sellers, like some here, & keep an eye out for bargain lead deals. Even Rotometals is cheaper than Midway, at least they pay shipping.

JIMinPHX
12-10-2010, 01:02 PM
I used to get my certified alloy from McMaster Carr, but I haven't bought any "clean" alloy in years. I don't know what their prices are like now. They list their lead alloys under "foundry metals".

fecmech
12-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Doc--If you check out the Swap&Sell section several board members sell lead and wheel wts and ship reasonably with Flat Rate Boxes from the Post Office. Also as mentioned Rotometals would be a source for virgin stuff.

Matt_G
12-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Lead and Brass, another site sponsor, sells range scrap for $1.18 a pound shipped.
You might want to check that out as well.
I haven't had to go down this path myself.
I'm one of the lucky few who is still getting wheel weights. Have a decent stash as well.

markinalpine
12-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Roto metals is having a sale. Code at checkout is "santa", good through December 12th.
5% of everything and 15% off "Ladles, Thermometers, Chamber Casting alloys, Lead Ingot, Hardball Bullet Metal, Zinc Cannon Ball and XRF Testing."

Mark :coffeecom

Shiloh
12-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Buy from Rotometals.

Get enough to take advantage of the shipping inclusive pricing. Do you have fellow casters that will help with a volume purchase??

Shiloh

bassfishindoc
12-12-2010, 01:26 AM
I don't have fellow caster's to help yet. I am very new to this whole process. There is an industrial scrap yard and three tire places on my way home from work. I am going to see what they do with their wheel weights, I might get lucky and get some free or really cheep. I really don't want to buy any alloy until I know what I need. The purpose of this thread was to see if their was a reason Midway prices are so high. I appreciate all the tips on where to purchase alloy. Where is a good resource about mixing alloys? I have the lyman casting book on the way with my lyman mini mag starter kit.

Circuit Rider
12-12-2010, 04:43 AM
bassfishindoc, PM sent

jmsj
12-12-2010, 08:05 AM
bassfishindoc,
For information regarding mixing alloys, check out www.lasc.us
There are many great articles on that site regarding casting bullets, alloying, alloy properties, heat treating and bullet lubes.
Also check out the "stickies" here in the different catagories.
Good luck, jmjs

Matt_G
12-12-2010, 08:08 AM
Where is a good resource about mixing alloys?

Check out this web page.
http://www.lasc.us/ArticleIndex.htm
There is a lot of very good info out there.
Rick Kelter's articles on alloy maint. and heat treating are two.
Check out the cast bullet notes as well.
Last but definitely not least, check out the articles by Glen Fryxell.
Really good stuff there.

See ya in a few days! [smilie=s:

Freightman
12-12-2010, 10:13 AM
For plinking I use range scrap, I really can't tell a lot of difference in accuracy if everything else is done right. JMHO anyhow I am CHEAP and broke and it is FREE!

WILCO
12-12-2010, 10:55 AM
I am going to see what they do with their wheel weights, I might get lucky and get some free or really cheep.

Bring a 5 gallon bucket with you and swap it for their bucket.