PDA

View Full Version : Just getting started with BP

BSkerj
12-09-2010, 11:55 PM
I am just starting to read up on BP reloading. I notice that SPG is a popular lube...why can't you use BAC or Canuba Red or another smokeless lube? I have a Shiloh on order and want to start learning about reloading BP for it. I see that Bull Shop has a good lube...NASA and also Lars is going to come up with a new formula the first of the year. I guess I am just curious and want to learn about different BP lube...Thanks in advance !

John Boy
12-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Black powder produces a lot of fouling, and the key to keeping the fouling soft is a lot of black powder lube. Such lubes are non petroleum based and contain waxes that are soft, not like Canuba Red.
Here's a read for your learning curve about BPCR ... http://www.wahsatchdesperadoes.com/Intro_to_BPCR_Loading.pdf

BSkerj
12-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the article John .

missionary5155
12-11-2010, 03:21 AM
Good morning
Years ago there were few if any good black powders lubes out there to buy. Few shot BP cartrige rifles and revolvers with BP. Lots of fellers had thier own home made lubes. I still use 45-50 % olive oil to bees wax. As temps rize I cut down on the olive oil. It is cheap to make and still works. It may not be the best for long strings of shooting without wiping but I do not do that. Works well out to 300 yards which is al I have access to in east Illinois when I am up north there.

NickSS
12-11-2010, 07:54 AM
When I got started shooting black powder in my first Shiloh rifle I knew exactly nothing about loading cartridges with black powder. I also had no books on it and no access the the internet. So I lubed my bullets with 50-50 alox and bees wax lube that I have used for years with smokeless powder and poured a duplex powder load into my 45-70s consisting of 6 gr of 4227 and 60 gr of FFG GOEX and seated the bullet. Surprisingly enough this worked fairly well for about 12 rounds. As the matches the first day were all 10 rounds for score I did OK. Then on the second day there were two 15 shot matches and it was hot out. At 600 yards I shot the first 10 rounds into a good score in the target but then my group opened up and the last three shots missed the target completely. My scorer told me that my bullets looked like they stated to corkscrew at about 400 yards out and did not even make the 600 yard berm. That's how I leaned about not using smokeless lube. The more experienced shooters at that first match gave me some formulas for lube and I tried several until I found one that worked for me that I have been using for awile. I need to use a blow tube with it or I get fouled out in about 6 rounds but it works. Some of the better lubes work better but I have a bunch of this stuff to use up before I try something else.