PDA

View Full Version : N.E.F. 308 at range today--long

rockrat
12-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Let me start by saying it was cold out there. Luckily no wind, but my fingers were getting numb.

Had bought a 308 barrel last year, but wouldn't fit on any frame I owned(too tight), so just shelved it. Last month, went thru my stash and came across the 308 barrel I had forgot about. Tried it on the "Remington" gun I have, as all other barrels were loose and had an epiphiany(sp?)about the 308 barrel. Tried it on the frame and it fit well. Took it out and shot about 100 rounds of ball ammo thru it. Shot OK, but wanted to try cast. Tried "Ed's" load of 13gr Red Dot with different boolits. The 311284 was the only one that tried to shoot, about 2"@100yds. About what those at Greybeard say a 308 will shoot.

Went back out today to try some 4759 loads, 20.2gr to be exact. Most boolits couldn't care less for that powder today. That is, until I tried a Lee GB boolit. Weight of about 190gr, one large grease groove and three small crimp grooves and a flat point. Don't remember which one it was. Casts out .315"/.305"

Shot over the Chrony, 1850 fps, one at the gongs to get POI then on to target. First shot little high, second shot couldn't see where it hit, third shot pulled low right--knew it when the gun went off, 4th and 5th shots couldn't see. Thought--forget that boolit, go to the 311284.

Shot the 311284, one over chrony, 1758fps, one on the gong for POI, then on to target. First shot little high, second I couldn't see but thought maybe close to 1st shot. Got excited and hurried third shot. Combined with heavy trigger I usually pull them low. Sure did, low left, way low left. 4th shot was back in first two, getting excited again, so naturally pulled 5th shot low(again). Shot a 6th, took time on trigger and rewarded with boolit going in nice little group.

Maybe the guys over on Greybeards don't shoot cast boolits in their 308's!!

Lee GB boolit--it likey!!
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/Bigdog337/003-7-1.jpg

311284 boolit---6 shots

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/Bigdog337/002-4-2.jpg

This might be fun working with. Now to get the 311284 plain base in from Blammers GB

NickSS
12-13-2010, 07:30 AM
Looks like that load is a keeper. I also have a 308 bull barrel for my handy rifles it fits just fine on two recievers. So far the only cast load I have tried is a Lyman 211041 over 14 gr of Unique that gave me some 2" to 2.5" 10 hot groups at 100 yards. I always test loads with a 10 shot group fired fairly slowly to avoid getting the barrel too hot. I have found out long ago that this gives me the best idea as to the rifle and load combo. Too many times I have fired a three shot or five shot group and got good results but then found that the rifle and load was not as impressive as I first thought so hence 10 shots.