PDA

View Full Version : Another question about the grease cookies

catkiller45
10-16-2006, 06:56 PM
From what I have heard and read a cookie is a thin disc of lube,correct?

Is there nay advantage to using such an animal or perhaps a waste of time..How does one go about determining how thick they should be made?

I am getting a lube star at the end of the 30 inch barrel,but sometimes feel I should be getting a bit more..And another idea I have is that with enough lube I may not have to blow tube or wipe between shots either..Or am I worng about this theroy..Please shed some light on this for me if you have tried them before..Thanks,,John

powderburnerr
10-16-2006, 10:53 PM
I use them all the time with paper patch bullets and black powder they are a must in that application . i have also found the need for them in the real long cases ...3 &1/4 in in 45 and 50 / with large doses of powder they work to keep fouling soft however they are not a replacement for blowtubing. . the lube in my opinion mixes with the fouling to form a soap like substance the blowing adds moisture to keep the soap soft... I use enough to get from the powder to the end of the case neck so that I have about 2 tenths of an inch to seat my bullets left.I dont know that you can say just what works best . my loads in the 110 use a 1/4 in cookie my 70 usees 2 hundreths. ,,, I have not found it advantageous in the shorter cases with grease groove bullets....................all my pp loads use one.......Dean

catkiller45
10-17-2006, 10:58 AM
Dean,
Thanks for the reply..I never see much written about the use of them..I can see where they would work with the paper patch bullets..I am always looking for a way to not have to blow tube..But what the heck...ohn

martinibelgian
10-17-2006, 01:04 PM
Dean,
Thanks for the reply..I never see much written about the use of them..I can see where they would work with the paper patch bullets..I am always looking for a way to not have to blow tube..But what the heck...ohn

In my experience, the only way not to blowtube and keep top-notch accuracy is... to wipe between shots. You're looking for the Holy Grail!

McLintock
10-17-2006, 01:37 PM
As Martinibelgian has said, better figure on blow tubing or wiping between shots. I was shooting pigs with my 45-70, not blowtubing, and after several sighters and running the first 5, I didn't between the two strings. Didn't touch a pig on the second five. I was told the fouling had crusted due to the hot barrel, between the strings, and no amount of lube or kind would have changed it. I hit 8 turkeys on the next firing string, blow tubing between all shots and the two strings; thats when I started blow tubing religously. I think using a grease cookie in a silhouette load would just be introducing one more varible to getting top accuracy and making an already difficult task just that much more difficult. JMHO
McLintock

SharpsShooter
10-31-2006, 08:53 PM
In my experience, the only way not to blowtube and keep top-notch accuracy is... to wipe between shots. You're looking for the Holy Grail!

The Holy Grail so to speak is the right lube. I use Bullshops' NASA lube in my Sharps. I can fire 10 shots in roughly 3 minutes without wiping or blow tubing and maintain group size of 1.5" or less at 100yds. It is the lube for BPCR.

Check out the test results http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=7612

SS

McLintock
11-01-2006, 02:39 PM
In Cowboy Action Long Range BP events, I routinely shoot ten shots from my Browning 45-70 (71 grs Swiss 1.5, 540 gr bullet), in anywhere from 75 secs to maybe 1 1/2 minutes; no blowtubing, wiping or anything, and maintain accuracy, shooting from 2-300 yards. However, shooting black powder silhouette, I can do fine with the first five animals without blowtubing, but that wait in between banks of animals, gets me. The barrel is hot and the fouling really crusts up, blowtubing or wiping is mandatory and I'm not sure that blowtubing only is sufficient on the second bank of animals after this wait. The master class shooters say that no lube will suffice without the fouling control measures and I see most of them wiping between shots. If the NASA lube would keep me from having to wipe between shots and banks of animals, I'd go for it in a heartbeat. I'd like to try some and Bullshot talked about getting it off his website, whats the URL for it?
McLintock

Bullshop
11-01-2006, 03:20 PM
McLintock
Just scroll to the bottom of this page for a link. Use the contact link to order.
BIC/BS

leftiye
11-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Another thing that that lube under the bullet does is to form a "hydraulic gas seal." If your bullet fits your leade (and it probably does bump up to fit upon detonation), then the now liquid lube is forced against the base of the bullet and if there is space around the bullet, it fills that space just long enough for the bullet to seat in the rifling. Belive it or not, this even works in muzzleloaders. I use a 5/16 Feltan bluestreak 12 gauge wad saturated with natural lube 1000 (in a muzzleloader a lube cookie is problematical) to hold the lube, seat it over the powder, and then the boolit. Charges must be hot in a muzzle loader, this softens the kick in the b___ (KITB) that the black powder gives the bullet that obturates it, and it won't fill the rifling otherwise. This isn' a problem in a BPCR, the lessened KITB is a plus in terms of cast boolit accuracy there as it smooths out the pressure curve.

jerdog53
11-27-2006, 01:54 PM
I know we are talking about grease cookies but what about the lube on the boolit its self is the type and amount that important and beneficial to help keep the fouling soft? Or does the cookie do all of that?