PDA

View Full Version : Lead in rubber blocks?

hickory kid
12-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Has anyone dealt with trying to get lead out of rubber blocks from and indoor range? Got a phone call from a friend that he knows someone that has lead in this form. Is it worth the effort to retrive the lead? I guess he has alot of these blocks. Dont have any other info on the blocks other than it contains bullets from an indoor range. Any help appreciated. Thanks

lwknight
12-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Sounds like a dilly of a pickle.

Ithaca1911
12-10-2010, 07:13 PM
little blocks of rubber, like cut up tires as backstop, or big blocks, in which the bulets are embedded?

I've been told that a very strong saltwater solution will float the little bits out of the mix, if it's big blocks, have you considered burning them??? stinky, but would leave you with the lead.

Dan Cash
12-10-2010, 07:34 PM
little blocks of rubber, like cut up tires as backstop, or big blocks, in which the bulets are embedded?

I've been told that a very strong saltwater solution will float the little bits out of the mix, if it's big blocks, have you considered burning them??? stinky, but would leave you with the lead.

If you burn them, you already have the flux in the pot.

hickory kid
12-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Big blocks with the bullets embedded. Was told block weight about 100 lbs each.

JIMinPHX
12-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Do you have a stump grinder or a wood chipper?

nanuk
12-12-2010, 10:27 PM
I"d be careful about burning them... the fresh air people will come knocking.

would be like burning tires. I think that is against the law

Rangefinder
12-15-2010, 02:35 AM
table saw, carbide blade that you don't much care for, (or a band saw with a fine-tooth metal cutting blade) and 1/2" cuts. After that, anything embedded in the strips should pop right out in little odd-looking disks

stainless1911
12-15-2010, 02:53 AM
Do not cut rubber anything with a circular saw of any kind! I almost lost some fingers doing that! The blade heats the rubber, the blade is designed to pull material into it, and the whole thing can lock up and kick as the result of a disc brake action causing the tool or material to jump or stop with violent potential. Use a band saw instead. The chipper idea would be better. I have heard of people making a saltwater solution giving enough buoyancy to the fluid to float the rubber chips away from the lead.

Rangefinder
12-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Do not cut rubber anything with a circular saw of any kind! I've cut polyethylene and polypropylene blocks with ease, and turned hard rubber boat dock bumpers into shed-roof shingles on a table saw. A) the fence is your friend. B)use a push-block. C) Fine-tooth blade for dense material. D) smooth, consistent cuts--constant motion E) Don't "pinch" the blade. But I think all those apply whether it's plastic, rubber, or just wood.

Considering there are going to be lots of "kickers" hiding in the blocks though, a band saw would be best.