PDA

View Full Version : trigger pull

500bfrman
12-09-2010, 06:22 PM
I bought a trigger pull scale or whatever you call it.
Anyway.
BFR 500 5 pounds
BFR 475 5 pounds
Ruger Redhawk SA was 6 pounds DA was off the scale only goes to 8
S/W Xframe 500 sa was 5 pounds DA off scale
Remngton 700 6 pounds
but most interesting to me was an unfired Ruger maximum I presume untouched as to a trigger job since it hasn't been fired, but can't be sure anyway it tested at 3 pounds to just under 3 pounds.

Lawyers?

S.R.Custom
12-09-2010, 07:10 PM
...Lawyers?

Nope. Just cheap.

That whole "triggers are hard & crunchy to make them lawyer proof" thing is a myth. Triggers are hard and crunchy because they're easier & faster to make that way; a trigger that's crisp & clean takes time and money to make, something that MFRs today are loathe to do. And since we're all conditioned to think lawyers, it gives the MFRs a free pass on poor quality.

outdoorfan
12-09-2010, 07:20 PM
I use a fish scale. :drinks:

My two Ruger SA triggers break at around 2.5 lbs, after some work on them. I couldn't even imagine trying to shoot decent with a 4-5 lb trigger.

Moonie
12-09-2010, 09:57 PM
I use a fish scale. :drinks:

My two Ruger SA triggers break at around 2.5 lbs, after some work on them. I couldn't even imagine trying to shoot decent with a 4-5 lb trigger.

Aren't fish scales set from the factory to weigh heavy? :kidding:

Old Goat Keeper
12-10-2010, 03:30 AM
I don't have a trigger scale so I am only guessing but my older S&W Model 57 (had the firing pin on the hammer itself) has the bestest trigger I have ever pulled! Now maybe it is it's age and when it was made but that tigger is so smooth and breaks like glass, I've owned it for over 25 years and shot it a lot. I STILL can't tell when it gonna break. Don't know the actual pull but it is NOT heavy. Don't think it ever had a atrigger job. For sure not since I've owned it.

And speking fo cheap vs good equipment what kind/brand of trigger scale and bore light do you all use/recommnd?

Tom

44man
12-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Most Ruger's and BFR's need trigger work and it is very easy for anyone to do, no need to spend a dime. I get all of mine to 1-1/2# and at the most 2#.
They are so light and creep free I have others that want to shoot them, dry fire first to feel them.
My single actions all rival a S&W.

500bfrman
12-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Well this makes me feel better, since my best shooting (which isn't that great) but it is with the BFR 500 and max loads. so maybe if I had a better trigger i could actually shoot a little better. i haven't shot the maximum yet.

44man
12-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Well this makes me feel better, since my best shooting (which isn't that great) but it is with the BFR 500 and max loads. so maybe if I had a better trigger i could actually shoot a little better. i haven't shot the maximum yet.
PM me and I will explain. I have a deer to cut right now.

doghawg
12-10-2010, 12:50 PM
My BFR .475 breaks at 3 lb. 4 oz on an RCBS trigger gauge. The .500 BFR lets off at just short of 4 lbs. Neither gun has had any trigger work done but they just get better with use.

shooting on a shoestring
12-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Dad taught me to use a jar with a coat hanger through the lid, a couple of holes in the lid, dribble birdshot into the jar until trigger goes off, then weigh the jar and birdshot. I use a leather glove in a vise to hold the gun muzzle up during the test. Works great, precise, accurate, cheap...like me.

fecmech
12-12-2010, 09:36 PM
If you have a baby scale or something similar that weighs accurately to 20-30 lbs. weigh the gun. Next place the gun on the scale in such a way as to not add any weight to the scale. With a revolver with my left hand I make a ring with my thumb and forefinger and put that around the barrel just to keep it vertical with the butt on the scale and only my right index finger on the trigger. Then push down on the trigger while watching the scale for when the trigger breaks. Subtract the weight of the gun from the total weight and you have the trigger pull. Pretty easy once you get the hang of it and rifles are really easy to do. If you have an accurate scale you will be very close .

Lloyd Smale
12-13-2010, 07:10 AM
I like a 2lb trigger with no creap. I personaly think that half the problem guys have with mastering a handgun, especially a hard kicking handgun is that there trigger pull is to hard and has to much creap. Its hard to consentrate and pull through a trigger with a creapy 5 lb pull when you know the gun is going to near bounce off your head. I give alot of credit to guys who can shoot a one inch group with a stock ruger trigger. I sure cant.

44man
12-15-2010, 09:44 AM
I like a 2lb trigger with no creap. I personaly think that half the problem guys have with mastering a handgun, especially a hard kicking handgun is that there trigger pull is to hard and has to much creap. Its hard to consentrate and pull through a trigger with a creapy 5 lb pull when you know the gun is going to near bounce off your head. I give alot of credit to guys who can shoot a one inch group with a stock ruger trigger. I sure cant.
I agree. There is a lot more that can be done and after polishing the insides of many guns, including polishing the whole insides of S&W's, I never really could tell the difference once the trigger work was done.
I prefer to keep a good lube on them now and let them slick up with use.
Shooting off hand even with 2# or one of my set triggers that go off with a breath, I wonder when the gun is going to fire and if my finger is pulling anything. I can't imagine a hard, creepy trigger.
Had a cheap .45 here last week. A cheap copy of the 1911 made in South America. It actually hurt my finger trying to shoot the thing. When it did go off I would get my finger pinched under the trigger. I figured I could hit the target easier by throwing the gun! :drinks: