PDA

View Full Version : 16" Barrel for M1911A1

largecaliberman
10-16-2006, 04:46 PM
I recently purchased a 16" barrel for my Colt 45 Government Model on ebay and haven't yet tried it at the range. After some minor gunsmithing, the pistol seems to lockup and operate smoothly.

I'll start shooting with the standard load of 5.0 Bullseye.
However, I would like to get the optimum performance out of this setup. Does anyone there in Cast Boolit Land has had any experience shooting this setup?

AND

If so, does anyone have any recomended load for a 255 grain LFP using either Bullseye, H4227 or Bluedot?

OBXPilgrim
10-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Will the bullet exit the bore before it unlocks?

Are you using the same weight recoil spring & same slide?

Didn't know that length was available

largecaliberman
10-16-2006, 08:17 PM
Will the bullet exit the bore before it unlocks?

Are you using the same weight recoil spring & same slide?

Didn't know that length was available

I installed a 22 pounder recoil spring. As far as the barrel unlocking as the bullet exit, I don't know, I haven't tried it yet.

woodman51jfk
10-16-2006, 10:59 PM
It works, if the springs & bushing are set up right. I " built " one for a customer years ago. Fella loved his 1911 & wanted to carry it on his Harley-Davidson, this way before the CHL came to Texas. To be legal, at that time and in this place, it required a shoulder stock to make it a legal " rifle ". Sure got some looks, 'specially with the 50 rnd drum mag!

OBXPilgrim
10-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Hope you put some posts up concerning your results - sounds like a neat project

9.3X62AL
10-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Sure does--and welcome aboard, OBX and Woodman. Such experiments are about mid-range in this contingent.......y'all will fit right in.