PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Die Lapping

Maven
12-09-2010, 04:11 PM
I saw this on the CBA Forum and thought some may wish to contact Dave Wilson (Tacoma, WA) about his services:

"I just finished a special request for a fellow Cast Bullet shooter. His CASE sizing die was overworking the neck area of his brass. I honed the die out for him and he reported back that things were much improved. Perhaps I can do the same for some of the rest of the community?
Send me a note off line* and we can discuss it."

*via the CBA Forum

Von Gruff
12-09-2010, 04:59 PM
This is a good move. I had a couple of my dies opend up in the neck so that they only sized down to what was necessary for the brass neck wall thickness I was using. No expander needed so no overworking the brass. For cast shooting expecially it would allow sizing the neck to suit for the throat. For my 7x57 though I have a body die and straight line neck sizing dies with interchangable bushes.

Von Gruff.

mroliver77
12-10-2010, 07:04 PM
I like to use an expander to open brass back up a touch as with different thickness of brass you will get a different amount of fit. Pulling the expander through opens it all the same size. well some will spring back more but I am not that anal. Hopefully I will get more experience with my lathe and with a few small hones I can at least do my own. Thanks for the heads up.
Jay