PDA

View Full Version : brass gas checks

quilbilly
12-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Has anyone ever had any experience with brass gas checks? I just found I have access to sheet brass that is just the right thickness when I get my Checkmaker die.
Could it be too hard for the barrels or would it be too hard for the die to cut?

.30/30 Guy
12-08-2010, 11:56 PM
At one time Lyman gas checks were made from brass.

30CAL-TEXAN
12-09-2010, 12:20 AM
I have experimented with Brass using the 30 cal Checkmaker dies.

I tried both .008 and .015 brass shim stock. I did anneal the brass before cutting the disks but even then the .008 was difficult to cut and the .015 was nearly impossible. I only cut 10 of the .015 because I was breaking the bench that the press was mounted to and I really did not want to break the press (It was'nt mine). After I was done all of the bolts holding the press down had to be re-tightened.

The .008 checks performed about the same for me as the .095 aluminum ones. They fit a little too loose on the shank of my boolits and the groups were larger than the commercial copper ones.

The .015 checks fit great and were some of the best looking checks that I have ever made. They shot a slightly wider group than the .014 aluminum and commercial copper but because there were so few to play with I can't really say that it was a definitive test.

My conclusions were:

Thin metal didn't work well for my use regardless of material and that although the .015 brass would probably make a good check, they are way too difficult to produce and will eventually break my die, press, bench, arm or all of the above.

quilbilly
12-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Thanks much for the info. My source for the brass sheeting also gave me a cource for copper locally and Home Depot seems to have the right thickness aluminum sheeting. He also had stainless sheeting of many thicknesses but I knew that wouldn't work.

RU shooter
12-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Brass works well .I use .008 and lam. it with soda can matl. to get the thickness I need. shoots the same accuracy wise as copper or alum.

Charlie Sometimes
12-12-2010, 05:45 PM
The brass/copper that I have is a little thinner than optimum for my 30 caliber Freechex 2 maker. It works, but has a slight coke bottle lid effect on the edges. Of course, that helps them grip the boolit better during sizing and lubing. M brass stock is used high pressure air regulator diaphragm stock and it works better if it is anealed before cutting. It can be used without anealing, but works better if it is softened first.
You can laminate brass or aluminum together during check forming, for more thickness, if you need it.