PDA

View Full Version : Navy Arm's Rolling block

Tom-ADC
12-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Well wasn't going to do it but made an offer I couldn't refuse, its made by Pedersoli has the 30" barrel tang sights came with 360 rounds of ammo and 5 lbs of once fired Remington brass, took close to two hours to do the transfer paper work and now I have to wait 10 days before I take it home. This state is crazy.

d garfield
12-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Why do you have to wait that long to take it home, Here in Vermont you sign the form and take it home.???????????????? Garf.

Shooter6br
12-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Same in Pa.

Shooter
12-08-2010, 02:33 PM
California can't be too careful, think of how many indians were killed with a RB. With a 30" barrel it could be concealed in a small truck.

Tom-ADC
12-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Because its a concealable single shot, 12 lb assault rifle :kidding: We even wait 10 day if we buy a C&R from a dealer..

missionary5155
12-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Greetings
But at least you will one day have it. Rollers are one fine shooting system.

Hardcast416taylor
12-08-2010, 06:03 PM
I`ve heard the 10 day wait is called a "cooling off period" for us hotheads wanting to shoot some angry paper target. I`ve also heard it called an "adminstrative processing time frame" so they can loose the paper work properly or send it to the wrong office so they can loose it better! Last rifle I bought, about a month back, I paid for it and walked out of the gunshop with it!Robert

firefly1957
12-08-2010, 07:41 PM
buy shoot and enjoy your sport for tomorrow Kalifonia may come to you.

Wouldn't that big bore make some gang a great drive by gun, oh I forgot they don't wait they just steal it.

NickSS
12-08-2010, 07:58 PM
This is one reason why so many Californians are moving out of the state. I rfead the other day that if it was not for illegals moving into the state the population would be going down. I have also read that an awful lot of industry has moved to Nevada from California. Pretty soon there will be no one left but liberals and illeagles.

home in oz
12-08-2010, 08:20 PM
In the Land of Oz you do the paperwork, pay, and then go home with the gun.....

old turtle
12-08-2010, 09:21 PM
It has already arrived in Florida unless you have a concealed weapons permit.

Tom-ADC
12-08-2010, 09:38 PM
One of the reasons I keep looking for property in both AZ & NV but with kids and grandkids, great grandkids here making the move won't be easy.

TCLouis
12-08-2010, 10:02 PM
45-70 Rolling block should be one of the standard guns in ALL gun safes.

By the By, your story makes me glad I live in a Free state.

On a rifle the only delay is filling out form and check, or swiping the credit card.
Handguns take as much as an hour.

Boz330
12-09-2010, 09:42 AM
45-70 Rolling block should be one of the standard guns in ALL gun safes.

By the By, your story makes me glad I live in a Free state.

On a rifle the only delay is filling out form and check, or swiping the credit card.
Handguns take as much as an hour.

Doesn't take that long for handguns in KY. For rifles or shotguns they don't even have to make the call if you have a CCW, just fill out the yellow form, pay and go shoot.

Bob

Ickisrulz
12-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Doesn't take that long for handguns in KY. For rifles or shotguns they don't even have to make the call if you have a CCW, just fill out the yellow form, pay and go shoot.

Bob

No check required in Texas for handguns or longguns if you have a CHL. Makes things fast.

Now I'm in Las Vegas and had to register my handguns. I miss the freedom in TX.

Freightman
12-09-2010, 12:22 PM
No check required in Texas for handguns or longguns if you have a CHL. Makes things fast.

Now I'm in Las Vegas and had to register my handguns. I miss the freedom in TX.
If we do not stay on our toes and support the NRA and TRA GOA ect. we will lose that. I wa sask at church the other day if I was a member of the NRA? Yes anyone who owns a gun needs to be! I got a couple of hard looks then explained Jesus made us free spiritually and gave us a brain to keep yourself free physically.

Tom-ADC
12-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Not a great picture but I finally have it home, hope to make it to the rnge Monday if so more pictures then.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL174/1021972/3058943/394093410.jpg

leadman
12-17-2010, 10:57 PM
That should be a really good shooter for you.

John Traveler
12-22-2010, 02:50 AM
Tom,

Where do you go to shoot in San Diego?

I'm from the Los Angeles area, but work in SD.

John

looseprojectile
12-22-2010, 05:57 AM
I have the exact same gun. It has the same rear sight and the same globe front. It is the best shooting BPCR I have shot. Mike Venturino sure likes rollers.
I'm not too thrilled with the brass furniture but it is what it is.
You will be pleased.

Life is good

Tom-ADC
12-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Tom,

Where do you go to shoot in San Diego?

I'm from the Los Angeles area, but work in SD.

John

John I belong to the Southbay Rod & Gun club we have a range in Delzura.
http://www.sbrgc.org/

roaddog1m
01-26-2011, 05:09 PM
I just bought a Navy Arms roller too! Waiting for it to be shipped to me. (No waiting period for "assault rifles" in South Dakota. However, I may assault a prairie dog town with it when the snow melts.
Where's the latest pics??? Also waiting on a report of how it shoots.
Tom

Tom-ADC
01-26-2011, 07:21 PM
I haven't had it out yet, but soon, the Santa Ana winds have been kicking up but I have everything ready to go, sitting by the door ready to head out.

Bob S
01-27-2011, 05:49 PM
One of the reasons I keep looking for property in both AZ & NV but with kids and grandkids, great grandkids here making the move won't be easy.

My wife's parents made a bee-line to AZ as soon as Dad retired from CalTrain, 9 years ago. One brother-in-law lives in Utah, the other lives in MD, not that far from us. None of my in-laws remained in CA any longer than necessary. I left in 1977, but I was only a "temporary resident", courtesy of US Navy. The Golden State lost its luster in about 1960.

Tom, look around Pine or Payson ...

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Kraschenbirn
01-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Tom...

My Pedersoli RB is, essentially, the same model as yours (except mine has case-hardened steel barrel band and butt plate) with a Marble Tang Sight instead of a vernier. Unfortunately, I got it just as our typical midwest winter arrived and only got in one disappointing morning on the range before the cold really set in. I'd run off several different BP and Pyrodex loads and none came up to my expectations.

Anyway, cabin fever finally got to me so, this morning, I dug out my insulated Carharts, packed my gear into the Jeep, and headed east. Range wasn't as drifted in as I expected and, most likely, could've gotten in and out without 4WD...but, hey, if you got, why not use it?

The excursion turned out to be definitely worthwhile. I'd made up 15-round test batches of four different smokeless loads: two with IMR4198 and two with AA5744 and. The loads with AA5744 (to me) were "so-so"...2 1/2"-3 1/2" 5-shot groups at 100M...but both the IMR4198 loads (one using the Lyman 400gr RN and one using the RCBS 45-405-FN w/o a gas check) pretty much made my day.

This what you what you should be able to expect from your RB: these were the last eight rounds in the box: RCBS 45-405-FN (no GC) cast from ACWW and sized .459 over 29.5 gr IMR4198 with a Federal LPM primer. (And, btw, I called that flyer at 6 o'clock.) Next time out, I'll take the chrono along and, weather allowing, set a couple targets at 200M.

Bill

Tom-ADC
01-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Very nice groups, only time I got anything like that to show off was shooting my Savage 93R17 in 17HMR, we've been woking on a bus trip for our RV group we do this every year at this time and that hasn't help with getting to the range but soon, I have 320 rounds of new smokless ammo that I got with the rifle I plan on using up plus 40 rounds of CorBon I'm not sure what I'll do with maybe force me into a 1895 Marlin :razz:

As far as AZ goes, wife likes the Yuma area except for june thru August....

MtGun44
01-29-2011, 11:03 PM
WOW! Your range closes at 4 pm !!!!

What a pain. I suppose it is another advantage to Kalifornia.

Bill

Marine Sgt 2111
01-29-2011, 11:14 PM
In 1972 at the age of 16 I bought a navy arms rolling block. It was my first .45-70 and I learned to reload using that rifle. At the same time, Hornady listed a load for the .45-70 pushing a 300gr j-boolit, 2400 fps with 2400 powder. I don't remember the powder charge but casee life was two reloadings. I remember my Dad asking me "tell me one more time what your going to shoot with that and what's going to be left?" That Navy Arms rifle was a great rifle, I am sorry that I still don't have it.