PDA

View Full Version : First big boy

mattbowen
12-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Well I got my first Big Bore single last night. I have a friend who wanted my 260 so I traded him for his NEF Handi 45/70, I am looking forward to shooting it possibly tonight after work. He had a scope on it but where I am hunting all I need are iron sights so I will sight it in for 100yds and hopefully I will take a buck by the end of the year I can't wait to shoot it. :Fire:

Matt

Shooter
12-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Great! The Lyman 457122 works well for me.

Freightman
12-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Have fun! it is an addiction one leads to two then they really multiply. Big bores rule!

NickSS
12-08-2010, 08:05 PM
L have one of those and they are great rifles. MY 45-70 is accurate and I did the same thing you are doing. I started with a red dot scope but now have a Williams FP sight on the rear. When I took it hunting I put some white out on the front blade and this made it show up good in the woods. The 45-70 is one of those do it all calibers as you can load round balls at 500 fps up to 500 gr at 1800 fps (those really move you) but anything from squirrels to Kodiak bear can be taken with confidence with a 45-70. By the way you can also shoot 410 shot shells in it but past about 15 yards the patern is not dense enough for most small game.

mattbowen
12-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Hay guys thanks for the reply, I took Thumper out yesterday at about 4:00pm and sighted him in and all I can say is,

I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to get my molds. I ordered a Lee 405gr HB mold for it and it should be here by Monday I am doing back flips and the wife says that she is going to send me to the hospital

Nick, how can you load round ball? I have never heard of using round ball in a case bafore.

Thanks again

Matt

Freightman
12-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Not nick but a .457 RB and a light load of unique you can work on it to see what that is but you can load three in the case and all will hit within 3" at 50 yds. One is death to tree rats goes through them and quite, but understand the ball will go through a 2x4 with ease so be careful.

Capn Jack
12-09-2010, 06:59 PM
mattbowen,

When your cases start to crack out, run a 1/8th drill through the flash hole and use .45 wax or plastic bullets, with a primer only, for back yard practice. Watch out though, I have used these to kill squirrels with a head shot. :shock:

Jack :coffee:

school of mines
12-09-2010, 11:10 PM
You are going to have a blast with your h&r! I enjoy mine and shoot cast through them all. You will soon be addicted to the 45-70! So many loads, and so little time!

mattbowen
12-10-2010, 08:11 AM
My wife isn't going to like y'all for telling me all this, she says that I am loony tunes all ready. I can't wait to try some of these tricks, it looks like I am going to have to get a 457 round ball mold (boy is she going to be mad!!) along with the 359, 309 and 453. I have all ready taken three of her pots to melt lead in along with a large spoon or two.

There is one thing that I don't like about thumper and that is his rear sight, I am thinking about looking into having a dovetail cut into the barrel and getting a buck horn ladder sight put on and may even have a dovetail cut on to the front I am just not sure yet.

Thanks for the info guys I guess I will be on the computer from the 15 floor (sub-basement) of my dog house, but at least it will be quite.

Matt