PDA

View Full Version : Again

44man
12-07-2010, 07:31 PM
My friend Don came over and I put him in a spot and said I would just go up the hill a little and sit on a cushion under a tree.
I took the .44 out and forgot my gloves in my pack but never had time to get cold. Two deer ran past like lightning but one turned my way and spotted me and stopped. Lots of weeds in the way but I turned the dot on, cocked the hammer and shot her.
I don't think I sat for more then a minute.
Small good eating tenderony!
Deer number 5, need one more for the ladies down the road. That will give me 2 in my freezer and 2 apiece for them if I can connect again.
I love this revolver hunting!
Did you guys know hard boolits don't kill? [smilie=1:

legend
12-07-2010, 07:39 PM
What state?

Here in wyoming we can get one,pistol,archery,flintlock,rock,slingshot,matter s not.just one.we can purchase extra tags for different areas,mostly private land though.good luck getting on.

44man
12-07-2010, 08:16 PM
What state?

Here in wyoming we can get one,pistol,archery,flintlock,rock,slingshot,matter s not.just one.we can purchase extra tags for different areas,mostly private land though.good luck getting on.
WV.
Best thing is that hunting my property I don't need extra tags or a license. But I am old enough to not need a license at all anywhere even for fishing. Just have to carry my drivers license.
I do buy a pistol stamp, think it is $8.
Not sure the exact amount of deer we can shoot, it is 7 or more anyway and I quit when I get enough. I think they upped it this year. I do know we can buy extra tags all season now when before all tags had to be bought before each season. Still have ML coming up and more doe season at the end of the month.

canyon-ghost
12-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Good hunting story, love these kinds of reports.
Thanks,
Ron

kyle623
12-07-2010, 08:30 PM
here in illinois, we can get a buck and doe tag for each archery, firearm, and muzzle loader. but you can only take 2 bucks per year. you can buy extra doe tags as long as they're available. but now in il you can carry a handgun and long gun during firearm season.

outdoorfan
12-07-2010, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE=44man;1080160]My friend Don came over and I put him in a spot and said I would just go up the hill a little and sit on a cushion under a tree.
I took the .44 out and forgot my gloves in my pack but never had time to get cold. Two deer ran past like lightning but one turned my way and spotted me and stopped. Lots of weeds in the way but I turned the dot on, cocked the hammer and shot her.
I don't think I sat for more then a minute.
Small good eating tenderony!
Deer number 5, need one more for the ladies down the road. That will give me 2 in my freezer and 2 apiece for them if I can connect again.
I love this revolver hunting!
Did you guys know hard boolits don't kill? [smilie=1:[/QUOTE

Details? Pictures?

white eagle
12-07-2010, 08:48 PM
man you are makin it sound easy
good shootin

kelbro
12-07-2010, 10:51 PM
What bullet were you using, the 265gr or the 310gr?

home in oz
12-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Good for you!

Frank
12-08-2010, 12:27 AM
44man:
Did you guys know hard boolits don't kill? [smilie=1:

What about the 45-70? Aren't you going to take that out?

44man
12-08-2010, 01:04 AM
What bullet were you using, the 265gr or the 310gr?
I ran out of all boolits except some of my 330 gr WLN clones. I have 3 shots left, had 5 but shot 2 deer.
I need to cast big time.

44man
12-08-2010, 01:11 AM
44man:

What about the 45-70? Aren't you going to take that out?
No, I never cast boolits with a soft nose or loaded and sighted the last of Babore's boolits.
I spent too much time with Whitworths molds and testing the .500's for him.
Most all of my boolit boxes are empty.
Bioman was supposed to help with a double pour boolit but has to work late most days.
The gun is getting lonely! :coffee:

44man
12-08-2010, 01:13 AM
I will get a picture tomorrow of the little critter.

Frank
12-08-2010, 01:31 AM
44man:
The gun is getting lonely!
It needs to at least be fed.

kelbro
12-08-2010, 07:53 AM
44man:
It needs to at least be fed.

Yep, gotta keep feeding 'em.

44man
12-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Trouble with the 45-70 is that it is too fast for deer and needs some expansion. Yet it needs a hard drive area for accuracy.
Even Babore's great boolits cast of 50-50 need oven hardened and a gas check or I can't hit anything.
The .44 and .475 are simple, just shoot water dropped WW metal. The .45 colt benefits from a small amount of expansion but hard can work OK.
Nothing needs a hollow point, just a WLN or WFN.
Time just got away from me this year and I went into the season with almost nothing to shoot. As long as I have 5 shots for a revolver, I am good to go, just can't switch from gun to gun.

Shooter
12-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Good for you! Always good to share the meat.

Frank
12-08-2010, 11:13 AM
44man:
Trouble with the 45-70 is that it is too fast for deer and needs some expansion. Yet it needs a hard drive area for accuracy.
Even Babore's great boolits cast of 50-50 need oven hardened and a gas check or I can't hit anything.
The .44 and .475 are simple, just shoot water dropped WW metal. The .45 colt benefits from a small amount of expansion but hard can work OK.
Nothing needs a hollow point, just a WLN or WFN.
Time just got away from me this year and I went into the season with almost nothing to shoot. As long as I have 5 shots for a revolver, I am good to go, just can't switch from gun to gun.
That's interesting. I get great accuracy with water dropped 50-50 HP's, or jacketed bullets, from 300 grn HP to 400 grn SP. But you are right, the Lee boolits do need to be harder to shoot as well.

Whitworth
12-08-2010, 04:09 PM
That makes up for all of the sitting we did the first part of buck season.......

44man
12-09-2010, 11:24 AM
That makes up for all of the sitting we did the first part of buck season.......
I blame the goat people that fenced their whole woods. The goats ate every single acorn and blade of grass where the deer fed heavy. Now all the food in the woods is gone.
Pressure up in the fields is heavy so they will not go there until dark.
I need to cast. I had too much fun with Whitworth's guns to think of my own. I do know I want the BFR .500 JRH because of the way it shoots. I can't say the time was wasted because we learned a lot. It just took away from my casting.