PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas???

WayBeau
12-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Anyone have any ideas what type of mauser this might be?

All I have is the photos that have been provided to me, so I'm not sure what the markings say (if they are even readable). I've been told that it's a .308

Thanks.

elk hunter
12-07-2010, 05:48 PM
It's not exactly a Mauser, it's either a U. S. Model 1917 Enfield which was originally a 30-06 if it is, it will say U.S, Model 1917 on the receiver ring or a P-14 Enfield which was 303 British. Yours was either made by Winchester or Remington Eddystone as it has the duck pond where the rear sight was.

Unknown what the caliber is currently.

old turtle
12-07-2010, 06:32 PM
This rifle is a Remington Model 30. It was Remingtons bolt action rifle which was made from 1921 until the WW2. It well may be a 30SX which had the receiver tapped for a telescope. It was made in 30-06 and 257 Roberts as well as many other rounds as well as the Remington rimless cartridges. I would have a chamber cast made and also slug the barrel. Could also be a modified 1917. It sure looks likes a Model 30. Unless it has recently been rebarreled I doubt it is 308. Many gunsmiths used this actions to build magnum rifles in the 40's and 50's.

WayBeau
12-07-2010, 08:10 PM
I would have a chamber cast made and also slug the barrel.
Unless it has recently been rebarreled I doubt it is 308.

What does slugging a barrel mean? I'm new to this stuff, so I'm very ignorant.

I'm just going off of what I've been told as to the caliber.

WayBeau
12-07-2010, 09:11 PM
What would this rifle be worth? My buddy was given this rifle and his wife has thrown down the gauntlet and told him to get rid of it.

bob208
12-08-2010, 07:09 AM
it is a modified 1917. not a mod 30. i would say 200-300 depending on cal. and condition.

as far as the wife goes i would tell her there is the door. np woman is going to dictate what i am going to own or not own.

my first wife said either those guns are going to be gone or i will. i still have the guns.

old turtle
12-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Slug the barrel means to take a SOFT lead bullet or ball of a little larger than the grooves of the barrel and push it through the barrel. Then measure the slug with a dial caliper or micrometer to determine the actual diameter of the grooves of the barrel. This can be very important as you do not want to put a bullet to large down the barrel which could result very high pressures. It can lead to a destructive failure .

WayBeau
12-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Slug the barrel means to take a SOFT lead bullet or ball of a little larger than the grooves of the barrel and push it through the barrel. Then measure the slug with a dial caliper or micrometer to determine the actual diameter of the grooves of the barrel. This can be very important as you do not want to put a bullet to large down the barrel which could result very high pressures. It can lead to a destructive failure .

gotcha. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I will tell my friend to have that done before he shoots it. . .if he ever plans to.

@Bob208: hahahaha. I agree, but she just bought him a new 30-06 for X-mas and they have small children. Since it was given to him, he's not too worried about it.

wiljen
12-08-2010, 09:24 AM
He could take it out somewhere safe and see if a 30-06 will chamber. If it will, the rifle is either a 30-06 or something with at least that case size which would rule out the 303 and the 308 winchester. If it will not chamber, then it is likely a rechamber or rebarrel. I think it most likely to be a 1917 in 30-06 as those are much more common around these parts than the 303 pattern 14s and converting it from 30-06 to 308 just seems like a waste.

It dawns on me though that someone made a chamber adapter at one point that converted 30-06 to 308 for the Garands etc that glued in the chamber and it might be an original barrel that was modified with one of those, have a smith check it.

WayBeau
12-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Here are the markings that are on the rifle:

top of the gun where you would mount a scope it has ( ERA and then under it 641292)
end of the barrel it has (CAI STAVT P14.303. USA)
bottom of the bolt handle it reads ( 350 M115 N S)
top of the bolt handle it reads (46 1004 with a R on the top)
side that has the bolt lock it has a symbol with (GR, under the GR it has two flags crossing with a R under it.)
left side of the gun barrel where the chamber and bolt is it has (308) stamped in it

What do you all think? Would you buy it for $150?

oldhickory
12-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Those actions are about as good as they come, and that one looks like it'll make a fantastic sporter $150.00?..Yeah I would snatch it up for that.

spqrzilla
12-08-2010, 05:24 PM

top of the gun where you would mount a scope it has ( ERA and then under it 641292)
side that has the bolt lock it has a symbol with (GR, under the GR it has two flags crossing with a R under it.)
left side of the gun barrel where the chamber and bolt is it has (308) stamped in it

Those are some confused markings since the end barrel marking means that Century imported it thinking it was a P14 in .303 British and someone else stamped .308 on it.

I'd have a gunsmith do a chamber cast on it to confirm its chambering.

WayBeau
12-08-2010, 06:34 PM
What would you do with it? Put a scope on it and use it as is? or remove the action and put it on a new stock with a new barrel?

I told him I might buy it, but I'm unsure of what I should do with it.

MtGun44
12-08-2010, 10:55 PM
From the looks and esp the markings, I'd say:

.303 British WW1 rifle originally in caliber .303, model is P14 for Pattern of 1914.

If .303, ammo is fairly easy to buy. The gun is "sporterized" which lowers the value
a lot. Now it is just a gun, value depends on function. If the barrel is in good shape
inside, it would be worth $150 or so. Maybe a bit less.

Bill

WayBeau
12-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Would I be a fool to take it apart and put the receiver on newer stock and barrel? I'm not opposed to keeping it all together as it is now, I'm just curious if the damage has all ready been done and it really wouldn't matter at this point anyhow.

leadman
12-09-2010, 12:00 AM
The receiver has had the rear sight ears ground off and the gun is sporterized. Don't think there is any collector value left. If the barrel looks good inside make it into something you want.
Since you seem unsure of condition and caliber find a gunsmith or other knowledgeable person to help you out. Nothing worse than the wrong cartridge in a gun.

WayBeau
12-09-2010, 12:35 AM
The receiver has had the rear sight ears ground off and the gun is sporterized. Don't think there is any collector value left. If the barrel looks good inside make it into something you want.
Since you seem unsure of condition and caliber find a gunsmith or other knowledgeable person to help you out. Nothing worse than the wrong cartridge in a gun.

I'll definitely take it to a gunsmith before putting anything in the chamber. At this point I'm just trying to figure out how much it might cost me to complete this "project". i.e. new stock, barrel, gunsmith fees, scope, etc.

WayBeau
12-09-2010, 12:38 AM
here's another question. . .when I go look at it, what should I look for/at in particular? This is a buddy in my hunt club who lives about 2 hours away, so I won't have the opportunity to take it somewhere and have it checked out before buying it.

swheeler
12-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Take 3 empty cases with you, 06,308,303brit. I'm betting the stamp on the chamber is actually 303, sloppy stamping could look like 308

Dutchman
12-11-2010, 09:37 PM

There were 3 makers of the P1914. Remington, Winchester, Eddystone. Eddystone was set up by Remington in the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Pennsylvania. This rifle in question is marked ERA for Eddystone-Remington. The NS on the bottom of the bolt handle is for nickel steel. The action and barrel are made of nickel steel, too. The R on the bolt means it was made by Remington. Not unusual for parts to be mis-matched 100 years after it was made.

There is no collector value in this rifle. There is virtually no finish left, it's been chopped. Caliber is unknown at this time. It has value as a complete action only, IMO. Maybe $150 to build a magnum caliber rifle from scratch. Certainly no more and certainly not $200-300. I'd be hard pressed to shell out $150 for it the way it is.

GR = George Rexus. King George.

Doubtful this rifle is .308 Winchester. More likely .308 Norma Magnum or .300 Winchester Magnum. The bolt faces for the US1917 and P1914 are different. The P1914 has the larger bolt face for the rimmed .303 British cartridge and is perfectly suitable for belted magnum cartridges. It would be foolish to convert a P1914 bolt to fit the smaller cartridge head size. Century Arms sold/converted many of these to .300 Winchester Magnum in the late 1990s. Imported by Century it would not be a Model 30. It wouldn't have ERA markings as a Model 30 as only Remington Arms built the Model 30.

Total production of all Pattern 1914 was 1,233,515 commencing on June 21, 1916. This one was probably manufactured in 1918. There were none made in 1919 far as I know.

Dutch

Multigunner
12-11-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm not sure but seems to me I've read of some Scandinavian M1917 rifles being converted to 7.62X51 NATO, for use as range rifles.

Other known re workings were Red Chinese 8X57 Mauser conversions, and some Belgian manufacture conversions also in 8X57.

Some years back barreled actions of converted P-14 or M1917 rifles were advertised for use in building up custom rifles. The actions were sold with shot out or corroded 8mm barrels still in place.
The converted P-14 actions had been retro fitted with M1917 bolts, and you could order either type of receiver with either type of bolt.

Also theres always a possibility that someone had used a chamber insert to adapt a .30-06 to .308 or rebarreled the rifle.

I'd say a chamber cast is called for to be on the safe side.

WayBeau
12-12-2010, 07:46 AM
There were 3 makers of the P1914. Remington, Winchester, Eddystone. Eddystone was set up by Remington in the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Pennsylvania. This rifle in question is marked ERA for Eddystone-Remington. The NS on the bottom of the bolt handle is for nickel steel. The action and barrel are made of nickel steel, too. The R on the bolt means it was made by Remington. Not unusual for parts to be mis-matched 100 years after it was made.

There is no collector value in this rifle. There is virtually no finish left, it's been chopped. Caliber is unknown at this time. It has value as a complete action only, IMO. Maybe $150 to build a magnum caliber rifle from scratch. Certainly no more and certainly not $200-300. I'd be hard pressed to shell out $150 for it the way it is.

GR = George Rexus. King George.

Doubtful this rifle is .308 Winchester. More likely .308 Norma Magnum or .300 Winchester Magnum. The bolt faces for the US1917 and P1914 are different. The P1914 has the larger bolt face for the rimmed .303 British cartridge and is perfectly suitable for belted magnum cartridges. It would be foolish to convert a P1914 bolt to fit the smaller cartridge head size. Century Arms sold/converted many of these to .300 Winchester Magnum in the late 1990s. Imported by Century it would not be a Model 30. It wouldn't have ERA markings as a Model 30 as only Remington Arms built the Model 30.

Total production of all Pattern 1914 was 1,233,515 commencing on June 21, 1916. This one was probably manufactured in 1918. There were none made in 1919 far as I know.

Dutch

Thanks a lot!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know all of this.

So what would you pay for it? My intention, after looking at the pictures, is to use it as a hunting rifle.

Do you recommend I look at anything in particular when I go to see it?

Nose Dive
12-20-2010, 11:11 AM
WayBeau... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. You 'want it'---buy it! but ..listen to the what the DUTCHMAN tells us... $150 for it is a bit pricy...I'd offer 50 the go to 100... I have to agree with the DUTCHMAN here...rifle looks a bit beat up and will take some attention (aka MONEY...your MONEY) to make it a shooter. For about $200 today, AIM has excellent Czech Mausers for sale and are in 100% better shape than what we have seen in this link. BUT,,this will be your rifle, not mine.

As far a inspection upon seeing the piece.. Well...there are BOOKS on this.. Suggest you get permission and take it to a known, reputable gunsmith and ask his opinion. Offer him $20 or so for his opinion...he is a businessman and his time and knowldge DO HAVE VALUE. Ask him...

1. what conidition is it in? ( is it a shooter as it is right now?)
2. Value?

If you get all of that info for 20 bucks, you dun gud.

If you DO BUY IT...you MUST determine caliber...simple..take it back to a good gunsmith and ask him,,,might be about 30 to 50 bucks here as he has to do some WORK to determine this for you.

Once purchased, once caliber is Correctly determined...CLEAN IT UP BEFORE FIRING... go to posts on this site.."HOW DO I GET THIS STUFF OFF" and read cleaning instructions.

THen purchase ammo ( or, learn HOW TO reload)..and go have fun with your new rifle!

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.