PDA

View Full Version : Scout scopes for leverguns

zachskids
10-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Just curious if anyone has tried multiple types of scout mounted scopes for their leverguns, and could give me a recomendation on which to use. Preferably leupold or some other high end low power models.

versifier
10-15-2006, 10:41 PM
I have used an Aimpoint for scout mounting on two rifles and I am very happy with it. What kind of ranges are you thinking about? Out beyond 150 yards, I would want some magnification. Shot a friend's rifle with the Leupold scout scope and it is an excellent unit. (If I had the money I would put them on all my longer distance rifles and handguns. I have 2X and 4X handgun scopes and love them. The 2X has almost but not quite the eye relief to use in a scout mount.) For in close shooting and hunting where it is very brushy, I would prefer the red dot as it is faster on target than one with magnification.

AnthonyB
10-16-2006, 02:42 AM
I have a Marlin 1895, Burris 2-7 Posi-Lock pistol scope, Ashley mount, and Leupold QD rings that has worked well for me. I am told the recoil will eventually damage the aluminum mount, but haven't had a problem so far after only a few hundred rounds. Another favorite is a BB94 356 Winchester with custom bases by Jim Brockman and Talley QD mounts holding a Leupold scout scope. Bought the rifle at a good price after the custom work was done, and I love it. I am totally sold on the concept for a woods rifle. The higher magnification of the Burris helps on targets but is of little use in the woods, IMO. Tony

Frank46
10-16-2006, 02:58 AM
While cruising through wal-mart the other day and waiting for my wife (as usual) I found a tasco 2 or 2.5x bantam scope in blister pack for $36 bucks. get home and read the paper that came with it. Has 1/4 min clicks and circle type reticule. I'm going to put it on my marlin 94 in 44mag, and see how it works. Frank

Larry Gibson
10-16-2006, 07:15 PM
Just curious if anyone has tried multiple types of scout mounted scopes for their leverguns, and could give me a recomendation on which to use. Preferably leupold or some other high end low power models.

I've used a Leupold 2X sout, a Burris 1.5X Scout and a Burris 3X in Burris rings and scout base made for the M94. I have used it on my pre'64 and several other M94s. The scout scope is very benificial and quick to use if mounted correctly. I found the scout scopes much quicker and handier than a M94 AE with a regular 2.5X scope mounted. I heartily recommend either the Leupold or Burris scout scopes. With the scout scope mounted (replaces the rear sight on the barrel) and a Lyman reciever sight mounted on a M94 you have a versitile "scout rifle". Mu Gerber multi purpose tool has a lanyard loop blade that I modified to fit the windage screw on the Burris base (fits Redfield and Leupold windage screws also) so since I always have the Gerber tool on me when hunting I can remove the scope and resort to the iron sights if necessary.

All of my serious hunting rifles have back up iron sights on them as I have had several scopes, including some top of the line scopes (includes Leupolds) go Tang Uniform on me. For me they all seem to go bad when I'm out on a hunt.

Larry Gibson

jh45gun
10-17-2006, 01:33 AM
While cruising through wal-mart the other day and waiting for my wife (as usual) I found a tasco 2 or 2.5x bantam scope in blister pack for $36 bucks. get home and read the paper that came with it. Has 1/4 min clicks and circle type reticule. I'm going to put it on my marlin 94 in 44mag, and see how it works. Frank

Frank is that a pistol scope or a shotgun scope or just a regular scope?

jh45gun
10-17-2006, 01:45 AM
Anyone know does anyone still make a mount for the older style Winchesters (Not angle eject) that mounted forward of the reciever like they used to make?

Guido4198
10-17-2006, 05:58 AM
I had a B & L pistol scope in the closet when I decided to try the "Scout Mount" on my 45/70 Guide Gun. It is a 2x, and I LOVE IT..!!
Your experience may vary...
Cheers,
Don

OBXPilgrim
10-17-2006, 08:30 AM
Quick search on Midway's sight shows the WW mount is available, but the tech specs show it requires drill & tap of the barrel. Sometimes it's a good thing to have a beater rifle that you don't mind messing with, but not sure if I'd want to mess with a mint cond or pre-64 for something like that.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=314798

I've always wanted a red dot sight out there that used a contact pad to turn off/on.

jh45gun
10-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Quick search on Midway's sight shows the WW mount is available, but the tech specs show it requires drill & tap of the barrel. Sometimes it's a good thing to have a beater rifle that you don't mind messing with, but not sure if I'd want to mess with a mint cond or pre-64 for something like that.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=314798

I've always wanted a red dot sight out there that used a contact pad to turn off/on.

I think that is for a 94 Marlin not a Winchester. The one they did show for the Winchester is not what the old ones were I think.

Pepe Ray
10-17-2006, 09:51 PM
As long as your OK w/drill & tap, you can get mounts from Burris/ They're for Redfield type rings. Two available for Win '94's. One for old rifles one for old carbines. Part No's are #410363 and #410372. You'll have to ask them which is which. Because they're called "gunsmith" parts ,I imagine that they require some fitting other than D+T.

Enjoy, Pepe Ray

LGS
10-28-2006, 07:33 PM
I have not tried one on my levergun yet but I have had a Burris Scout 2 3/4 on a Mauser since 1995, First on a 30-06 tne had the rifle rebarreled to 308 Win. I shot out the 30-06 barrel. The scope is still going strong after 11 years and several thousand rounds. I am planing on puting the same scope on my 444 and 45-70. When it comes to scopes you do get what you pay for. :Fire: :Fire:

Rick Hodges
10-28-2006, 07:49 PM
I have a 2.5 Leupold I.E. "Scout" scope on a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun. It is mounted with the AO system and Leupold quick release rings. I love it. Fast handling and you can remove the scope between shots with no change in impact. I only wish it had the heavy duplex crosshairs instead of the standard.

Rick