PDA

View Full Version : Recommissioning an old beam scale

Jim
12-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Last year, somebody gave me an old Ohaus 10.10 beam scale. I stuck in a corner.

Yesterday, the batteries in my little electronic scale gave it up. I drug out the Ohaus and checked it out.

The only part missing was the powder pan. I put a plastic one on it, but it didn't balance as the plastic pan was too light. I added #8 bird shot pellets to the pan until it got close. One more and it went over. I flattened a pellet, cut it in half with a utility knife, dropped it in the pan and the scale zeroed.

I took the weight reservoir apart, added the shots and put it back together.

Back in the business!

Pictures (http://fgsp.wordpress.com/2010/12/06/ohaus-10-10-beam-scale/)

Lead pot
12-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Why dont you use the metal pan that came with the electronic scale?

I have a Ohaus 10-10 scale back in 1965 and I still use it and I use it to check the RCBS electronic scale for accuracy. I do not trust the electronic scales because they are temperature and air flow sensitive.Put a certified weight on the two types of scales once and see which one agrees with the weight.
I will tell you that I would use the balance bean to weigh out the gold dust when I want to sell some and the electronic scale to buy gold:bigsmyl2:

Kurt

RayinNH
12-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Jim in your picture it looks like the metal pan is hiding under the plastic one...Ray

Von Gruff
12-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Jim have you deliberately not leveled the scale before checking the pan and weights for zero or is there another reason for the level being out of level..

Von Gruff.

buck1
12-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Those 10-10 scales are real good. Could be even better than the one with batteries.

Jim
12-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Ok, guys, one at a time.

Leadpot, the electronic scale didn't come with a pan.

Ray, that's the pan holder with the hanging hook that's attached to the weight reservoir.

Von, I had the level on it checking it. Just didn't take it off prior to photo. Don't let that fool ya'. There's lots of play in the level adjustment screw.

Yeah, Buck, I agree. It's a VERY good scale.

Jim
12-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Ok, guys, one at a time.

Leadpot, the electronic scale didn't come with a pan.

Ray, that's the pan holder with the hanging hook that's attached to the weight reservoir.

Von, I had the level on it checking it. Just didn't take it off prior to photo. Don't let that fool ya'. There's lots of play in the level adjustment screw.

Yeah, Buck, I agree. It's a VERY good scale.

Lead pot
12-07-2010, 11:07 AM
I just looked at the photo and there is a pan under the plastic one. and the level shows that the front of the scale is very low and the adjusting screw has a lot of threads left to raise the scale.
Check to see if that pan isn't glued down with some chewing gum:neutral:
Kurt

Jim
12-07-2010, 03:51 PM
That silver thing under the plastic pan is the PAN HOLDER.
http://fgsp.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/pan-e1291751251938.jpg

OK NOW?
http://fgsp.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/level-scale-e1291752025978.jpg

thx997303
12-07-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm just guessing here guys, so I may not be correct.

BUT, first off, I'm assuming Jim here knows how to zero a beam scale.

Next thing.

I'm going to also assume that the picture of the scale zeroed, includes the shot inside the plastic powder pan.

Now, since the scale is zeroed with the shot in the pan, I'm assuming taking the shot out, or the plastic pan off, would cause the scale to no longer be zeroed.

Aside from which, except for the Lee scale, I have never seen a beam scale without a pan holder and powder pan.

Another aside, adding an extra pan would cause Jim to need to REMOVE weight, not add it to get the scale leveled. So I am assuming, that he does NOT have an extra powder pan.

Now, Jim. I did a little research.

I took apart the powder pan holder on my lyman scale. I found several pieces of shot inside.

I'm going to guess that were you to take apart the pan holder on your Ohaus scale, and add the amount of weight that the shot you put in weighs, and reassemble, you should be able to zero the scale, and not worry about your shot wandering into a cartridge at some point. [smilie=l:

Jim
12-07-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm just guessing here guys, so I may not be correct.

BUT, first off, I'm assuming Jim here knows how to zero a beam scale.

Next thing.

I'm going to also assume that the picture of the scale zeroed, includes the shot inside the plastic powder pan.

Now, since the scale is zeroed with the shot in the pan, I'm assuming taking the shot out, or the plastic pan off, would cause the scale to no longer be zeroed.

Aside from which, except for the Lee scale, I have never seen a beam scale without a pan holder and powder pan.

Now, Jim. I did a little research.

I took apart the powder pan holder on my lyman scale. I found several pieces of shot inside.

I'm going to guess that were you to take apart the pan holder on your Ohaus scale, and add the amount of weight that the shot you put in weighs, and reassemble, you should be able to zero the scale, and not worry about your shot wandering into a cartridge at some point. [smilie=l:

Yup, that's what I did. Last sentence of first post:"I took the weight reservoir apart, added the shots and put it back together."

thx997303
12-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Ah, can't believe I missed that.

Oh well, it happens.

Rocky Raab
12-07-2010, 05:22 PM
There's nothing wrong with a beam scale OR a digital one. BOTH types are sensitive to air currents, and temperature, and static buildup. Both are equally accurate, and both are more than accurate enough for reloading.

Digitals are mush faster. Beams don't need electricity. Digitals are much less likely to be mis-read. Beams may be a bit less delicate.

It's a wash as far as I can see.

canyon-ghost
12-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Looks somewhat like my 502, they're good scales.

Jim
12-07-2010, 05:26 PM
I also have an RCBS 505. I bought it 20 years ago, gave it to my brother and then, he gave it back to me. It serves me well, also.

Char-Gar
12-08-2010, 12:31 PM
That same scale has also been sold under the Lyman brand and now by RCBS. I have used one for over 40 years. You don't need a level. Just put the pan on, set all weights at zero and turn the leveling screw until the pointer is on zero. That will compensate for the difference in pan weights. You should do that every time you set it up to use.

The RCBS pan will probably fit like the original if you want one.

The only thing to watch out for is little metal pieces finding their way into the magnets, which dampen the swing. That will cause hob with everything.

I have yet to own an electronic scale and I don't think I ever will.

Jim
12-08-2010, 01:11 PM
The level was just for the picture, that's all. Actually, that's the first time in the life of this scale(that I know of) that a level's been on it.
I do own an electronic scale and use it regularly. I find it much more user friendly with a trickler. It takes up a lot less room on the bench and there's nothing above it to interfere with using scoops if I choose to. That's just me, though.

Jim
12-08-2010, 01:11 PM
The level was just for the picture, that's all. Actually, that's the first time in the life of this scale(that I know of) that a level's been on it.
I do own an electronic scale and use it regularly. I find it much more user friendly with a trickler. It takes up a lot less room on the bench and there's nothing above it to interfere with using scoops if I choose to. That's just me, though.